Observations on weekends/after hours?

wodin

Hi everyone, I am interested in SLP as a career and have a bachelor's in another field.

Before I sign up to take pre-reqs, I wanted to see if I could do some observation to make 100% sure that I know what it's like. The problem is, I currently work 9-5 Monday through Friday, which is when most clinics(and schools) are open. 

Does anyone have any tips for finding observation opportunities on weekends or in the evenings? Surely there are SLPs who work off hours or do private tutoring somewhere out there. I would love to hear from anyone else who has dealt with this problem before. 

There are some courses that allow you to do observations online through a site called Master Clinician Network. You basically watch videos of prerecorded sessions. It isn't the same as in-person, but I know it helped me get a better sense of the field. I'm not sure if you can sign up for MCN without registering for a university course, but you could definitely contact them to find out - if you think watching the videos might help you (alternatively you could sign up for a prerequisite course that offers online observations). You also might want to look into observing someone in a healthcare setting. It's probably more likely that you will find someone working on evenings and weekends. Good luck :)

Some clinics do offer evening and/or weekend hours. My daughter had a 5:30-6:15 p.m. time slot for a while. You'll just need to call around since that is really going to vary. Her current SLP has the last slot of the day be 3-4 p.m.