What is/are your subfield and research interests?

lol i was thinking the exact same thing. If brown, cornell, northwestern, or nyu accepts me, I'd be so happy.

um my stats in a nutshell

undergrad: private R1, top 20 in terms of its polisci grad program (hope that works in my favor)

gpa: upper 3.7ish

gre: humiliatingly low (sub 600 both)

lors: i think my professors like me

research: nothing academic cept the thesis im working on, and an internship at an NGO with dealt with my substantive interests

SOP: it has jokes in it probably not the best idea in retrospect

I share your dislike of standardized test, though after talking with some DGSs I was relieved to hear that many also question its usefulness. I cross my fingers and pray that they look at my GPA (3.9ish), lors from some of the top researchers in the field, my past graduate work, and my fit with the programs that I applied.

To answer the question at hand, my research area is IR/Methods.

Fair Game - I'm also interested in the role of new media in elections and also the way media and candidacy interact (i.e. how media plays a role in deciding what types of issues are most important, and how they guide/force candidates to focus on certain issues that may seem more or less important). If you don't mind sharing, what schools did you apply to?

Fair Game - I'm also interested in the role of new media in elections and also the way media and candidacy interact (i.e. how media plays a role in deciding what types of issues are most important, and how they guide/force candidates to focus on certain issues that may seem more or less important). If you don't mind sharing, what schools did you apply to?

@ Fair Game and rm1015... Here's a third person with very similar research interests. I hadn't planned on posting here, but this is incredible. (Not to mention scary... If we applied to the same programs, it's going to be tough for all of us.) I'm interested in the effect of new media on party politics and urban politics. I'd be interested in hearing more from you guys/girls and sharing more if you're interested, so PM me.

Subfield: IR

Research interests: Chinese foreign policy; IPE

(Impact of China's outbound FDI & Chinese corporations' overseas behavior on China's bilateral relations in Africa & developing world)

@ Fair Game and rm1015... Here's a third person with very similar research interests. I hadn't planned on posting here, but this is incredible. (Not to mention scary... If we applied to the same programs, it's going to be tough for all of us.) I'm interested in the effect of new media on party politics and urban politics. I'd be interested in hearing more from you guys/girls and sharing more if you're interested, so PM me.

I -only- applied to UVA. My fiancee is finishing a Master's in DC and won't be done until fall 2011, so I'm not willing to go any further geographically than UVA.

That said, UVA'd be my first choice even if I'd added in other schools, so I'm perfectly happy with it being my only bullet this year. If I don't get in, I'll apply to a reasonable number of programs for 2011, but I'm realllly hoping this works out.

For those of you not on the east coast, we've gotten absolutely clobbered w snow. I wouldn't be surprised if UVA couldn't send out acceptances/rejections on Monday simply because there may not be anyone able to physically get to the admissions office to start the process.

I think it's cool that there's 3 of us who're interested in the same subject; I don't see any reason why we can't all get in and do some amazing work :)

I think it's cool that there's 3 of us who're interested in the same subject; I don't see any reason why we can't all get in and do some amazing work :)

Agreed! I look forward to meeting both of you in person in the future. New media's effects on politics definitely seems to be a research interest for the young...

-D