What is/are your subfield and research interests?

Subfield: Comparative

Research interests: South Asia, ethnic and religious violence, identity politics of subaltern groups, institutions and identity preferences, nonviolent conflict and theory

@OP political response to traumatic events sounds fascinating, any particular events you have in mind? also what's the scope of political, is it congressional response, voter behavior, etc?

Edited by Certain_Entropy

Subfield: Comparative

Research interests: South Asia, ethnic and religious violence, identity politics of subaltern groups, institutions and identity preferences, nonviolent conflict and theory

@OP political response to traumatic events sounds fascinating, any particular events you have in mind? also what's the scope of political, is it congressional response, voter behavior, etc?

The only research I've done in that area was historical-I looked at the suppression of anarchists following McKinley's assassination. In that case I focused mostly on state and congressional responses. Ideally I would like to look at voter behavior and the effects of such events on elections.

Edited by rml015

My subfield is political theory/philosophy.

My interests include but are not limited to Enlightenment and Continental philosophy, with a little ancient thrown in, specifically Kant, Heidegger, Nietzsche, Plato. I want to study topics such as the values of society, speculation regarding the ideal way to organize society and what role human nature plays in that. My interests often tend to veer off into non-political territory in philosophy, too.

Subfield: Theory

Research Interests: modern political thought (esp. Hobbes, Kant, and Hegel), modernity, critical social theory, democratic theory, continental political thought (Foucault, Arendt, and Habermas), political theory and revolution, affect and rhetoric.

Subfield: IR

Interests: WAR and PEACE! Why do we go to war? Why do we not? I'm particularly interested in why we stop once we've started (especially since nowadays the endpoint is becoming less clear). Also interested in the role and effectiveness of diplomacy and economic sanctioning.

If I have to pick a second (sub-sub field), I said I'd do comparative simply because of the international component, but I'm becoming very interested in methods.

Subfield: Theory

Specific Areas: The "history of political thought"; philosophy of social science/philosophy of history; metatheory/methodology in the "history of political thought"; Plato, Machiavelli, Hobbes, Nietzsche, Wolin, Gunnell, Foucault, Strauss, and Pocock/Skinner; history and sociology of "modernity"; "the concept of the political"; and paradigm shifts in political-scientific-philosophical thinking.

Gosh! We seem to have a shortage of American politics students, so I'll throw my name into the mix here.

Subfield: American politics

Research interests: Political institutions, particularly Congress; Congressional elections; Congressional member tactics in DC vs. at home; Parties and partisan primary election dynamics; women in politics; congressional redistricting

if it makes you feel better, I'm probably in the other set of unqualified comparativists. i swear standardized testing hates me and everything related does to.

I do not know your stats, but I strongly want you to be overqualified actually. So that you will get in to Yale, Princeton or Berkeley and leave the Northwestern, Brown etc to me ^^ hehe

I do not know your stats, but I strongly want you to be overqualified actually. So that you will get in to Yale, Princeton or Berkeley and leave the Northwestern, Brown etc to me ^^ hehe

lol i was thinking the exact same thing. If brown, cornell, northwestern, or nyu accepts me, I'd be so happy.

um my stats in a nutshell

undergrad: private R1, top 20 in terms of its polisci grad program (hope that works in my favor)

gpa: upper 3.7ish

gre: humiliatingly low (sub 600 both)

lors: i think my professors like me

research: nothing academic cept the thesis im working on, and an internship at an NGO with dealt with my substantive interests

SOP: it has jokes in it probably not the best idea in retrospect