Gracefully back out?

rogue

So far, I've gotten one admit, with full funding to one of my top choice programs (yay!). I just got an email from a potential advisor at my safety school, asking me to interview and meet some of their grad students. Should I politely decline? If so, what should I say? I haven't accepted this other offer yet, as I'm waiting to see if I get similar offers from my other top choices. I can't really imagine a situation in which I'd turn down the offer I have in hand to attend this other school, but I sort of hate not keeping all my options open at this point in the game. Am I being ridiculous in hedging my bets? For what it's worth, the safety school is in the city where I currently live, which is a plus, and the main reasons it's not higher on my list are 1. it's unranked and 2. the prof I want to work with is likely retiring in a few years (before I'd finish my degree). Thoughts?

So far, I've gotten one admit, with full funding to one of my top choice programs (yay!). I just got an email from a potential advisor at my safety school, asking me to interview and meet some of their grad students. Should I politely decline? If so, what should I say? I haven't accepted this other offer yet, as I'm waiting to see if I get similar offers from my other top choices. I can't really imagine a situation in which I'd turn down the offer I have in hand to attend this other school, but I sort of hate not keeping all my options open at this point in the game. Am I being ridiculous in hedging my bets? For what it's worth, the safety school is in the city where I currently live, which is a plus, and the main reasons it's not higher on my list are 1. it's unranked and 2. the prof I want to work with is likely retiring in a few years (before I'd finish my degree). Thoughts?

The only way you'd attend this safety school is if your potential advisor at the other school got hit by a bus and you didn't get it anywhere else, right? That seems like a small enough possibility to safely decline this interview invitation, unless you have some particular reason you'd like to attend it. For example, I'm going to one of my interviews pretty much solely to meet my POI there - I'm no longer seriously considering attending, but he's a big name in the field and I wouldn't mind a 1-on-1 conversation with him. Besides, I'd already bought my plane ticket when I realized I would likely have some better choices. Another very good reason to do this interview would be if you haven't yet visited the top choice program you're accepted to; what if you visit and hate it?

Don't waste their time and resources, politely decline.

If you want to keep your options open, just visit. Its not like you can't decline an offer of admission if its made. You never know, you may love the program/professors. It will give you more information for when you do finally make a decision of where to go. Also, since you live in the same city, I assume it isn't even inconvenient for you (or costly for them for that matter)?

Plus, they say academia is all about connections (unfortunately). So you might as well go meet the professors in your field, and if they are impressed by you (even if you don't go there), you will have them as contacts for jobs etc. down the line. Can't hurt can it?

Normally I would say to politely decline due to the costs involved, but since you are already in that city the costs would be minimal. I would do it so you can see what another program is like. I went to visit a school lower on my list even though I was fairly certain I was in at a higher choice, but after visiting the school it is in serious contention for my decision.