Opinion on my Assessment Plan for Mock Client.

My professor is quite challenging and she gave me a mock case history with several reports (school, psychologists eval, standardized testing, and medical reports) and wants me to create an assessment plan for the child. My professor did not want me to ask my supervisors for guidance :(

I looked over the reports and it’s quite tricky. The child’s parents report they are mainly concerned with her “spelling and math” and her “personal growth.” She has a history and continues to have sinus problems, asthma, and allergies. On her hearing, her parents are unsure if she hears adequately, they report, “sometimes noise seems too loud for XXX, other times she seems not to hear well.” I think she’ll need a full audiological evaluation. 

However, in terms of school, I think her grades are within normals limits (mainly C’s though) and her standardized testing is also within normal limits (compared to the local norm for math, though, she is at the 16th percentile). She was also evaluated by a psychologist. She did well on the WISC-III  and WRAML. 

Here is my Assessment so far

Interview with parents 
Hearing Screening 
Oral Peripheral Exam - for hyper/hyponasality  
CELF-5 (language test) 
Pragmatics checklist - Children’s Communication Checklist-2 
SPELL-2 (Assessment for Spelling)

I don't see the need for the Oral exam unless the nasality is affecting her academically. Hypothetically, you'd already know if she had nasality issues because you'd hear it. And even so, you'd have to refer her to a ENT anyway to get a more in depth perspective, especially since she has preexisting allergies, and asthma and sinus problems.

I'd def. do the hearing screening since that is a concern brought up by the parents AND a child should always have a hearing screening regardless.

Pragmatics checklist? I'd need to know what the school and psychologist eval says to give my input. Are they reporting her to be below her peers in pragmatic behaviors? Is she within normal limits? Is that affecting her academically (If she has C's, probably not). How old is this child?

Are you going to use the regular Celf-5 or the Celf-5 metalinguistics?  I believe the metalingustics tests for pragmatic skills while also tacking language, so maybe look into that one.

Her parents are concerned about her spelling, but is it truly necessary to evaluate that? She has C's. That's pretty darn good. Perhaps her parents have high expectations? What do you think?

1 hour ago, Chai Tea Latte said:

I don't see the need for the Oral exam unless the nasality is affecting her academically. Hypothetically, you'd already know if she had nasality issues because you'd hear it. And even so, you'd have to refer her to a ENT anyway to get a more in depth perspective, especially since she has preexisting allergies, and asthma and sinus problems.

I'd def. do the hearing screening since that is a concern brought up by the parents AND a child should always have a hearing screening regardless.

Pragmatics checklist? I'd need to know what the school and psychologist eval says to give my input. Are they reporting her to be below her peers in pragmatic behaviors? Is she within normal limits? Is that affecting her academically (If she has C's, probably not). How old is this child?

Are you going to use the regular Celf-5 or the Celf-5 metalinguistics?  I believe the metalingustics tests for pragmatic skills while also tacking language, so maybe look into that one.

Her parents are concerned about her spelling, but is it truly necessary to evaluate that? She has C's. That's pretty darn good. Perhaps her parents have high expectations? What do you think?

C's are good? In what state? O_o

33 minutes ago, SpeechLaedy said:

C's are good? In what state? O_o

For children with learning and intellectual disabilities who are placed in regular-ed class rooms (because of that least restrictive environment clause), C's are amazing!

Whenever my students make C's, I can not praise them enough and I am truly proud of them. Although I encourage improvement, that C really shows hard work and determination.  It is so easy for them to fall behind and fail their classes because of their neurological difference.

Do not take for granted how easy it is for you to learn and grasp information and make "commendable" grades. It is a real struggle to many.

As an SLP, please be aware that your students and clients will have weaknesses that you do not possess, and it is important to be compassionate and empathize with them.

So once again, for a learning/intellectual disabled child, C's are good in all states.

Edited by Chai Tea Latte

24 minutes ago, Chai Tea Latte said:

For children with learning and intellectual disabilities who are placed in regular-ed class rooms (because of that least restrictive environment clause), C's are amazing!

Whenever my students make C's, I can not praise them enough and I am truly proud of them. Although I encourage improvement, that C really shows hard work and determination.  It is so easy for them to fall behind and fail their classes because of their neurological difference.

Do not take for granted how easy it is for you to learn and grasp information and make "commendable" grades. It is a real struggle to many.

As an SLP, please be aware that your students and clients will have weaknesses that you do not possess, and it is important to be compassionate and empathize with them.

So once again, for a learning/intellectual disabled child, C's are good in all states.

You know, as soon as I posted it (after only skimming through the OP's post), I thought - I wonder if the person has any disabilities. XD. So I totally agree