Playwriting MFAs

dampka

rougesenna, where did you get your MFA?

and wrighter, your username is phenomenal

Savannah College of Art and Design. I do not reccommend it. Especially not for playwrights. Maybe as a safety school for those who are more interested in screenwriting than playwriting. I will give it one thing, it wasn't hard to get in.

Wrighter, re: Hunter.  I have a friend there who says they are happy, but that the program is definitely what you make it.  The other playwrights in the class have all had varied experiences, some of them negative.  Tina Howe is wonderful, but there has been some turnover - Mark Bly has left and Arthur Kopit is the interim head.  Also, it's a public college, so there is no money.  They do see a lot of shows and have had established playwrights visit (John Guare, Sarah Ruhl, etc.) and have alumni that are doing well.

Thanks for the updates everyone! I haven't heard anything from Yale. :(

I've applied to Juilliard before, and if I remember correctly, they don't do interviews until around May. 

Also thanks mcw98 for the info about Hunter. 

You guys we were so brave to apply! Also, I'm not out yet: still waiting on smith and Ohio and haven't heard from cmu( though thinking I'm out if they've done interviews) and haven't heard from northwestern yet either. Has anyone else?

Haven't heard from anyone except ETS who gave me a bullshit auto reply about how I could have just cancelled my GRE scores. For those of you just joining, during my GRE test the fire alarm was being 'tested' at least five times. 

This forum is so depressing. I'm glad to find out about Yale now rather than whenever they decide to destroy the hopes and dreams of the other 200 applicants :)

You guys are awesome.

Juilliard in my experience sends out emails about the Labs right around now.

Better to go through it with other people though. Rather than sitting in silence waiting for letters ha!

Agreed! It is nice to commiserate. 

From my knowledge of Juilliard, they actually read scripts in batches, call people in for interview, read more scripts, call more people in, and so on. So don't fear if you don't get an interview right away, because there is a chance they haven't read your script yet. At least, that's how I believe they did it was last year. I'm not sure if they changed the policy for this year.

I had my skype interview with CMU. I really, really, really want to go there. Now I have my hopes up really high.

Advice for people with Columbia interviews: I spoke to my friend who is a student there now, and he said that when he went in they didn't ask him any questions, rather they just had him ask questions. He also said that though his interview seemed a normal length that some of his classmates' interviews were quite short and that isn't an indicator of anything because they still got in.