Playwriting MFAs

dampka

Haven't heard from anyone except ETS who gave me a bullshit auto reply about how I could have just cancelled my GRE scores. For those of you just joining, during my GRE test the fire alarm was being 'tested' at least five times. 

that is utter bullshit as you still had to pay for an illegitimate test under illegitimate testing conditions.

Hello Everyone, 

On a whim, I checked my Yale application and found a status update.  Had to open up the application to see it (it says submitted still when logging in), but the link was there at the very top.  Knew the rejection was coming from this forum, so not a surprise.  

Disappointed to not have been considered...but them's the breaks.

They must be slow, because I don't see that link on mine yet. I even refreshed the page in case my browser was loading an old version. UT Austin T&D decision hasn't come through online yet, either.

Anyway, I'm expecting to hear a decision from UCSD today. It's 5 in the morning and I'm probably not going to get any more sleep...

that is utter bullshit as you still had to pay for an illegitimate test under illegitimate testing conditions.

Haha yes, yes it is. I sent them an angry email back telling them they didn't read my compliant correctly. The whole test is BS anyways. 

Thanks, mcw! I read through this entire thread and really enjoyed it. Looks like the '13 applicants were much more active than we've been, which is saying something :) I saw that one woman found out about her UCSD status by Twitter-stalking, which I attempted, but saw nothing current. However, it's entirely possible that they've offered the place to someone else and will let me know once that person has decided. Or I'm just overthinking it and they're busy.

Either way, I've been thinking a lot about how I'll approach the process next year if UCSD doesn't pan out, and what I want to do differently. First of all, my plays are one-acts (50 and 60 pages), not full-lengths, and I think having longer, more thoroughly revised plays will help enormously. I won't have to take the GRE again, so I'll have more time to dedicate to writing. I would probably try to get a full-time job at the theater where I'm currently interning, and though it is difficult for me to carve out space for writing in the midst of a busy life, I will be more proactive and dedicated to making sure that I'm writing fiercely (or, as Cheryl Strayed says, writing "like a motherfucker" - http://therumpus.net/2010/08/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-48-write-like-a-motherfucker). All the schools that I didn't get around to applying to this year will be back on the list: Iowa, Indiana, USC, Stony Brook, and possibly others, in addition to reapplying to Brown, Yale, UTA, and UCSD. I would also be pushing myself more to apply to competitions, get readings, and just hustle my work more in general. Maybe I'll even try to direct a show or two, since directing is a secondary passion of mine. Since the beginning of the fall I've had a strong desire to be back in school, so I was really hoping that this year would be It for me. But nearly everyone has to apply more than once, and my application was nowhere near where I wanted it to be. I'm lucky that I had three amazing recommenders (Naomi Iizuka said I should send them all a box of muffins since they're so effusive and wonderful); am I correct that when reapplying you can usually send one more recommendation? Because there's at least one more great person in my corner now, so that will probably be some kind of boost.

The bottom line is that when I squeezed out my applications this year, I knew they weren't at the level I wanted them to be. I was mainly hoping that when I reapply next year, the committees would see how far I've come. So the interest from UCSD completely took me by surprise. Now that I've fallen in love with the program, it's hard to shake the idea of going there, but they're only taking one person this year. Next year, when they're taking two, I might have a better shot. (I'd miss getting to work with the current students who will be graduating next spring, though.)

I'll keep you all updated as soon as I hear anything! I'm not sure what to think of having heard nothing from Yale yet. It's possible that I'm getting an extra-nice rejection, like Failsafe, or they're simply rolling them out slowly.

Anyway, more conversations! What's your favorite play that you've seen recently?

Lavender, it sounds like you had a much more put together application than me. I've applied to seven schools at this point just hopping and praying that this year is it. It is my first year applying, true but I'm so ready to be in grad school surrounded by everything theater and time to write. I also love that most of the programs have built in writing contests, little write offs etc.

I have yet to hear from Yale myself. Maybe a nice note is coming? Ha who knows. It would be lovely to know a little more than I do now. This waiting in the dark is awful. Kind of crushing.

I recently saw Ruhl's vibrator play and it was easily one of the best things I've seen in a while. I was also lucky enough to do sound design for a production of Wilder's Skin of Our Teeth recently and that was a real treat. I may never get sick of Thornton Wilder.

Also, despite all of our anxieties- isn't it still kind of early in the process?

I thought that, but then again.. I've already been rejected by so many schools already. Maybe it just feels that way? 

Rejected:

Michener

Yale

Brown 

Still haven't heard from:

Columbia (assuming its a no because others have interviews)

UCSD (assuming its a no because others have interviews)

Iowa 

Julliard

New School 

If I don't get in anywhere, I'm considering teaching abroad in Korea to quote LavenderCloud/Cheryl Strayed 'write like a motherfucker'. 

I love the vibrator play! If I were going to write a period piece, it would be something scandalous and awesome like that.

No idea about Smith. Yep, it is still early. If I'd applied to more programs I'm sure I'd be waiting for another month. I think today will be the day for UCSD, but who knows?

Teaching abroad sounds very hard and very rewarding. I know a number of people who have taught English in Korea. Do you speak any Korean?

Ok you guys I am such a DINGUS. I just called Northwestern to talk to Yolanda Hare and I straight up asked her if they had notified finalists already because I have no ability for subtlety. She was polite in her response. Apparently they began notifying people in March but they continue to do so until May or when they have a full class of twelve. You guys. What is WRONG with me?

Anyway. I also called Smith and almost cried because of how helpful they were. So calming about the whole process and very willing to chat about details. I'm going to email Len and Andrea and just try to convey to them how much I am in LOVE with Smith. I'll probably freak out and compare it to Hogwarts and end up destitute or something but regardless. Also, they vary year to year how many students they take since it's such a small program and they don't advertise for it at all. I'm like, 'pick me Monty!!!!!'

I would just nestle myself in the gardens and write forever and never stop.

GOD I CANNOT HANDLE THIS YOU GUYS I'M FALLING APART.

Haha yes, yes it is. I sent them an angry email back telling them they didn't read my compliant correctly. The whole test is BS anyways. 

blergh. stupid corporations taking advantage of students who barely have any money. makes me wanna Hulk out.

I also love vibrator play! So good!

I really want to go see Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart in Waiting for Godot, but I have no money and no time to stand in line for rush tickets! :( I wish I'd gotten to see Zach Quinto in the Glass Menagerie before it ended, but I think it closed now. Also on my list are Pippin (I'm a circus person so, YESPLS) and I think Chris O'Dowd and Jame Franco are going to be UH-mazeballs in Of Mice and Men, so that's on my list if I ever get any freakin money.

Also, do you all know about ScriptFrenzy? I always want to do it and there's never anyone to do it with me. We could al ldo it together. It's like NanoWriMo, but for scripts (screenplays, plays, etc) and it's in April.

Buttz. just went to look it up and it seems like they ended it in 2012. Now they just lump it in with NaNoWriMo which is in November, which is a HORRIBLE time to be writing if you're doing grad apps. Oh well.

Edited by roguesenna