Playwriting MFAs

dampka

I just called and left a message to ask if they have an updated timeline...

(Edit: by "they" I mean UCSD. They'd said they would let me know by March 1, which on my calendar was two days ago. DYING.)

Edited by lavendercloud

And yes. Let's all hide under rocks, PLEASE GOD NOW.

I was really sad when ScriptFrenzy went under! I wonder if they'd start it up again if they raised enough money. If I'd known about it sooner I'd have done it when it was still running, but I only knew about NaNoWriMo...which I've still never finished. November is definitely a rough time to do it.

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to keep you posted: Yesterday I received an acceptance letter from CMU! I'm very excited!!!!!!!!

Still no news from NYU, Juilliard, or Brooklyn (though I assume that's a rejection since they had accepted people already). Has anyone else heard from Brooklyn yet?

That's great! Are you holding out to hear from other schools, or do you have to make a decision quickly?

UCSD let me know that they're making decisions this week and will get back to me by next Monday at the latest, which is helping me not to be quite so jumpy every time the phone rings. I think that's pretty close to the timeline I observed in past years on this thread. I'm surprised they haven't notified non-finalist applicants yet, though--maybe they do it all at once?

Entertainment of the day: I just witnessed a lighting designer eviscerate a photographer for asking that a lighting level be changed to optimize the exposure of a promo shot. Didn't know that tech-week photo shoots could cause so much drama...

Has anyone heard anything from the O'Neill about pieces that have been chosen to move onto the finals? I know nothing will be announced until April but it seems from past years that finalists are contacted beforehand.

Thanks for the support!!! It means a lot.

It didn't say on the letter when I have to sign on the dotted line by, so I'm going to check in on that soon. I absolutely love the program. Rationally, I know I should wait and see if I get into any other programs that make more sense financially, but my heart is with CMU. Sooo basically unless I randomly get into Juilliard, I'm pretty much sold!

I spoke to one of the profs here at NYU about grad decisions for you guys, and he said "it's going."

I said "they're not gonna like that answer"

And he said "it's going until it's not, what can I say?"

So, that's helpful.

GlenwoodRed: Thanks for asking them! 

thelifeaquatic: Yes I'm in NY, so my interview is going to be in person, but from what I understand, people who are too far to travel can do phone/skype interviews. 

I met with a writing group last night and shared a rewrite of the scene I'd written when I was visiting UCSD, for a prompt I was given for the playwriting seminar. It was really fun, and I got great feedback! So I might be starting a new project. Yay :)

Also, the NYC Midnight Screenwriting challenge is coming up. I did it last year and had a blast.

How are the rest of you keeping yourselves busy?

I just started working on a new play which incorporates a lot of Spanish, so I'm really excited about the project and I'm brushing up on my Spanish! I'm also going to go see the new Miyazaki movie tonight. Just trying not to think about the wait ;)

Also, the NYC Midnight Screenwriting challenge is coming up. I did it last year and had a blast.

How are the rest of you keeping yourselves busy?

you have my attention... what is this magical midnight thingy?

I just started a play(!) that will mimic the format of a role-playing video game. Trying to figure out exactly what the plot is and what characters I need besides the protagonist and "anima" character

Edited by roguesenna

So I need some advice. I was asked to let CMU know my decision within about two weeks, but I still have to hear back from a bunch of schools. Do you think it is okay for me to contact those schools and ask them about the status of my application? Do you think they would expedite my application decision? Is it bad/weird to request it? I just don't know what the protocol for this is. I'm especially worried about Juilliard, because they don't make their decisions until so late... Any thoughts?

Also Starsandsound and roguesenna-your plays sound super. Also what is the NYC Midnight Screenwriting challenge?

Hey there was something posted on this forum a while back in terms of decisions ie you may not have to officially decide until April. Not sure so look it up, maybe. I think it's ok to ask for more time so you can hear back from other schools esp. when it comes to financial packages. Other than that good luck! We're getting close so you should hear back.