comp_soc_gal

Hey, so I've finally heard back from my schools and I'm trying to decide which soc phd program to go to in the fall and I've narrowed it down to three: Princeton, NYU, and Columbia. 

I don't know what my stipend would be for Princeton yet, but I've been offered around the same for NYU and Columbia (30K ish)...however NYU offers paid teaching positions, whereas Columbia has teaching requirements(about 15 hr/ week) but teaching is unpaid. 

In terms of programs, I am interested in cultural and computational sociology and it seems like all three programs have the resources/faculty in those areas. 

I have some extra considerations because I am a single mom of an infant...so the idea of unpaid teaching time seems logistically and financially troublesome, making NYU appealing....but I went to NYU for undergrad and I know there's kind of a stigma against going to the same grad and undergrad. 

Any thoughts on these programs? How important it is to go to a different school for grad than you went to for undergrad? Also, any single parent students out there with advice/comments? 

Just found out Princeton's funding, it's about the same (actually slightly more)...the thing for me is the teaching requirements. I feel like it will be hard enough balancing time without having to do unpaid teaching....

I'm curious why you both said Princeton is the better option...ranking? 

1 minute ago, comp_soc_gal said:

Just found out Princeton's funding, it's about the same (actually slightly more)...the thing for me is the teaching requirements. I feel like it will be hard enough balancing time without having to do unpaid teaching....

I'm curious why you both said Princeton is the better option...ranking? 

Ranking, reputation, placements after, the are it's in is way better also for expenses and having a kid. 

I've talked to a few very trusted advisors about the teaching thing for myself, and ALL 3 of them have said it's much better to teach than to not, fellowship or not. Because afterward when places are looking to hire you, they want to see that you've been teaching. Less teaching years = less teaching experience = place hiring you doesn't think you know what your doing.

I would keep in mind ranking. Unless Columbia and NYU have a sub-field advantage, I would probably go with Princeton. Also, which school has the best regarded faculty. 

While the financial packages are about the same, you'll want to think long-term about what institution will place you best. Also, cost of living, whether each program offers guaranteed (and subsided) housing, and how family-friendly they seem.

Princeton offers a (very) small day-care allowance, I believe. It won't last very long, but it's just something to think about.   

4 minutes ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

Ranking, reputation, placements after, the are it's in is way better also for expenses and having a kid. 

I've talked to a few very trusted advisors about the teaching thing for myself, and ALL 3 of them have said it's much better to teach than to not, fellowship or not. Because afterward when places are looking to hire you, they want to see that you've been teaching. Less teaching years = less teaching experience = place hiring you doesn't think you know what your doing.

Yeah, I would definitely want to teach, it would just be nice to make an additional 26K (that's what NYU says the average is for four semesters) doing it. But I do worry about the reputation thing...I know there are faculty at NYU I'd want to work with (DiMaggio, Baldassari, etc) and I'd rather be in the city than Princeton, but the ranking/reputation issue is the main drawback

1 minute ago, comp_soc_gal said:

Yeah, I would definitely want to teach, it would just be nice to make an additional 26K (that's what NYU says the average is for four semesters) doing it. But I do worry about the reputation thing...I know there are faculty at NYU I'd want to work with (DiMaggio, Baldassari, etc) and I'd rather be in the city than Princeton, but the ranking/reputation issue is the main drawback

It's up to you of course. Personally, I think you would be making a mistake going to NYU when you have a much better offer. 

Keep in mind that in NYC you'll be paying higher state and city income taxes than you would at Princeton, so make sure you find out your take-home pay. In Princeton, at least, you would not be paying NJ state taxes, just the federal income tax. I am not sure how it works in Columbia or NYU, but I do know that NYC has separate city income tax in addition to state income tax.

Edited by Bibica

For what it's worth, a Hopkins professor told me that "most" Princeton graduate students actually choose to live in NYC because they prefer it to living in Princeton.

Good luck in your decision. My guess is you'll have a good sense of where you want to attend after the visit days. 

3 hours ago, WorldPeaceMaker2010 said:

It's up to you of course. Personally, I think you would be making a mistake going to NYU when you have a much better offer. 

This isn't necessarily true. Yes, you should seriously consider going to Pton since it's one of the best programs out there. All things being equal, Pton > Columbia/NYU.

But it's also worth noting that NYU is on a steep rise in their ranking and quality of program - they've poached a lot of faculty, they have top-notch faculty, and they place students very well on the job market. Princeton, on the other hand, has been bleeding faculty like crazy, a lot of their faculty are nearing retirement, and the faculty:student ratio is among the worst among the top ranked programs. As a result, to say Princeton is #1 and NYU is #16 (or whatever it currently is on the rankings) is just not true. It's likely that in the rankings that are coming out soon, Princeton will decline a few spots and NYU will rise several spots.

So it's not out of the question to choose a school like NYU over Princeton. 

On 2/24/2017 at 8:30 PM, oranges said:

"Princeton, on the other hand, has been bleeding faculty like crazy..."

This statement is so overblown and hyperbolic. DiMaggio left for NYU and Wimmer for Columbia. BFD. People ignore that Conley left NYU for Pton and there have been several new AP hires. 

1 hour ago, applicant2016 said:

This statement is so overblown and hyperbolic. DiMaggio left for NYU and Wimmer for Columbia. BFD. People ignore that Conley left NYU for Pton and there have been several new AP hires. 

I was also thinking this as well.... NYU hasn't been without some turnover either. 

On 2/23/2017 at 11:40 AM, comp_soc_gal said:

Hey, so I've finally heard back from my schools and I'm trying to decide which soc phd program to go to in the fall and I've narrowed it down to three: Princeton, NYU, and Columbia. 

I don't know what my stipend would be for Princeton yet, but I've been offered around the same for NYU and Columbia (30K ish)...however NYU offers paid teaching positions, whereas Columbia has teaching requirements(about 15 hr/ week) but teaching is unpaid. 

In terms of programs, I am interested in cultural and computational sociology and it seems like all three programs have the resources/faculty in those areas. 

I have some extra considerations because I am a single mom of an infant...so the idea of unpaid teaching time seems logistically and financially troublesome, making NYU appealing....but I went to NYU for undergrad and I know there's kind of a stigma against going to the same grad and undergrad. 

Any thoughts on these programs? How important it is to go to a different school for grad than you went to for undergrad? Also, any single parent students out there with advice/comments? 

If you need it, do any of the schools offer discounted childcare or after school care for students/employees?  I know this is a huge problem in higher ed/difficulty faced by parents in the university setting (or anywhere, really).  That might be something to look into when making your choice, I know the costs are tremendously expensive.  Best of luck in making your choice! 

On 2/24/2017 at 5:02 PM, Bibica said:

Keep in mind that in NYC you'll be paying higher state and city income taxes than you would at Princeton, so make sure you find out your take-home pay. In Princeton, at least, you would not be paying NJ state taxes, just the federal income tax. I am not sure how it works in Columbia or NYU, but I do know that NYC has separate city income tax in addition to state income tax.

Thanks, that's a good point

On 2/26/2017 at 7:02 PM, applicant2016 said:

Another point to keep in mind: because NYU, Columbia, and Princeton are part of a consortium, you could, in theory, attend any of the three and take classes at any of the three. 

That's a good point about taking classes at any of the three, thanks!