Shutout 2017

@la_mod Same, I've been stuck in my hometown because it was the only financially viable option. And not investing in unfinished BAs makes sense-- woulda been good to know that before I invested all my money in those apps though, haha. I've just been telling myself that at least I know what to expect now and can build on what I had.

I wish I had a full draft of my thesis! I had no idea what my project was gonna be on until way too late in the game. I told myself I'd have 40 pages by this Saturday and I'm only inching past 7 just now...

1 hour ago, jetleigh said:

@la_mod Same, I've been stuck in my hometown because it was the only financially viable option. And not investing in unfinished BAs makes sense-- woulda been good to know that before I invested all my money in those apps though, haha. I've just been telling myself that at least I know what to expect now and can build on what I had.

I wish I had a full draft of my thesis! I had no idea what my project was gonna be on until way too late in the game. I told myself I'd have 40 pages by this Saturday and I'm only inching past 7 just now...

Oh man, my thesis only needs to be ~30 pages, and I think I'll end up scrapping about half of it right now....

Can I chime in here? I know I'm not exactly a shut out, I've gotten into two programs. However I've also got eight rejections.

I'm pretty bummed out about some of them too. I found professors I'd really like to work with at Brandeis and Vanderbilt.

I've been tutoring a guy who came to the university I'm at now from UNM. I asked him why he transferred from UNM and he said: "I wasn't doing very good at UNM and I still had a scholarship offer here. Everything happens for a reason, you know?"

Everything happens for a reason. That's what I'm trying to keep telling myself...but those words really aren't all that comforting.

That's what my mom always says, @Silabus (not applicable to dramatic events, of course). It's cool to think that way when disappointing stuff happen. But cheer up, really, you've been accepted to some great places, you'll be fine :) The fact that you got into programs to which you've applied should be a great satisfaction! I mean, you chose them so they should be great. What would have happened if you had gotten into so many programs, you were afraid of making a mistake by choosing one of them? 

8 hours ago, Yanaka said:

That's what my mom always says, @Silabus (not applicable to dramatic events, of course). It's cool to think that way when disappointing stuff happen. But cheer up, really, you've been accepted to some great places, you'll be fine :) The fact that you got into programs to which you've applied should be a great satisfaction! I mean, you chose them so they should be great. What would have happened if you had gotten into so many programs, you were afraid of making a mistake by choosing one of them? 

You are sooo right! I did get into some good places. And yeah, at least having limited options means making a decision is a lot easier.

Long time lurker, third time poster.

I applied to 9 programs: accepted to one, rejected from four, and four MIA, which I'm just taking as implied rejections at this point. I really wish programs would go ahead and send out the rejection letters so that tiny part of me stops yelling "What if" as I compulsively check my e-mail. 

Venting reason? I'm on a waitlist for funding at the accepted program, and I cannot attend without any sort of assistance. It almost makes me wish I wasn't accepted so that I don't have to stare longingly at an acceptance letter while knowing that I can't actually attend. It's pretty much like when people trick their dogs by not throwing the ball and hiding it when playing fetch. 

Back to the thesis cubicle, I suppose. At least I have that. 

Edit: Wrong thread, but oh well. Still feels like a shutout to me! 

Edited by HazeNight