Shutout 2017

Hey fellow/fella applicants. I applied to 9 places and was rejected from (drum rolling) all 9! If you're like me then you are in a pretty bummed/dark/bourbon-drinking place. I can completely understand why you wouldn't want to publicly discuss your unsuccessful season, but I thought I'd just throw this out in case some of you are hurting and could use this kind of thread. No pressure either way. Sending biggie congrats to those acceptances and biggie hugs to those who are beyond disappointed. 

I have been rejected from most of the schools I applied to and accepted to two MA programs but I just spoke with one of my professors and I think I am going to decline both of them (for a few different reasons that I won't get into here). I have some time to think about it, but I will most likely be applying again in the fall. I am majorly bummed but I think if I take the next 6 months to really focus on improving my statements and my GRE scores, I will (hopefully) have better luck next time. It sucks having to acknowledge that I am not going to be starting grad school in the fall, and will spend the year doing nothing substantial, and I am v sad. 

Am very sorry to everyone in the same position, and also big congratulations to those who were accepted. 

15 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

I have been rejected from most of the schools I applied to and accepted to two MA programs but I just spoke with one of my professors and I think I am going to decline both of them (for a few different reasons that I won't get into here). I have some time to think about it, but I will most likely be applying again in the fall. I am majorly bummed but I think if I take the next 6 months to really focus on improving my statements and my GRE scores, I will (hopefully) have better luck next time. It sucks having to acknowledge that I am not going to be starting grad school in the fall, and will spend the year doing nothing substantial, and I am v sad. 

Am very sorry to everyone in the same position, and also big congratulations to those who were accepted. 

So sorry to hear this. For what it's worth, I feel ya on the year of unsubstantial floating. I mean, I'll use it to study for the subject test, take classes, and try to buff up my CV. But, another year of slog work is queued up. Do you think you'll apply to different programs? How long are you giving yourself to grieve before starting in again on the application process? 

Sending you (and all the shut out others) lots of strength and fight. Here's to 2018!

I'm a "shut-out" too, at least for now (I'm applying to two MA's as a -- great -- last resort). I'm trying to build an exciting plan B, although it breaks my heart to think I might not be going back to school next Fall. I really know I don't want to do anything else, so it's frustrating to be forced to have other plans. Have you guys thought about non-degree solutions? Taking a few classes just to keep going and to work on your projects? I know it costs a fair amount of $$ but I think it's a good alternative while working. 

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be shut out, too. I will have an MA in two months, so I'll probably spend the next two years teaching high school or working at a local community college (where I am already a tutor and could probably also adjunct).

I am definitely going to reapply, but I don't know if I can improve my application substantially enough to reapply this year. I plan to retake the GRE and subject test, present at conferences, try to publish a chapter of my thesis, and revise a chapter into a new writing sample. I will also revise my SOPs substantially and apply to some different programs. I applied to 12 programs and would maybe reapply to a couple of them, but I'm a little bitter and don't necessarily want to face rejection from them again. I also think I'll apply to as many programs as I can possibly afford.

I'll only reapply this year if:  1) I don't get into Teach for America and can substantially improve my test scores, 2) if I end up being waitlisted somewhere, because then perhaps a new Writing Sample and a much better SOP will be enough, or 3) If I feel like I can reapply to just a few programs this year and just suck it up if I'm rejected again. 

It's difficult to not have support from many people right now. Professors say that getting a PhD in this job market is a bad idea, my mom thinks I should do something more practical (i.e. lucrative), and almost everyone else thinks that getting a PhD in English is ridiculous or frivolous in general. 

Unrelated: @Yanaka I'm going to be in Paris in May! Fair warning: my French is abysmal, but I'd love to grab un café with you while I'm there.

20 hours ago, Yanaka said:

I'm a "shut-out" too, at least for now (I'm applying to two MA's as a -- great -- last resort). I'm trying to build an exciting plan B, although it breaks my heart to think I might not be going back to school next Fall. I really know I don't want to do anything else, so it's frustrating to be forced to have other plans. Have you guys thought about non-degree solutions? Taking a few classes just to keep going and to work on your projects? I know it costs a fair amount of $$ but I think it's a good alternative while working. 

Sorry to hear that, Yanaka. I hope the MAs pull through for you. 

I have thought about taking classes because my undergrad degree was strictly English lit and I applied for joint programs in women/gender/sexuality studies. Since I don't have many classes on the latter I thought about enrolling in one or two. Do you suggest doing post-bacc work? Or just taking classes from a local university? I think I can enroll in a graduate level course at the University of Oregon (I live in Eugene), so maybe I should do that? Curious what y'all think.

In addition, I'm hoping to get on a panel this fall. And I'm doing volunteer work. So, that plus classes, plus a tighter SOP, and an awkward attempt to actually reach out to POIs this fall. That's my plan. Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread; it's been helpful.

33 minutes ago, Pezpoet said:

I have thought about taking classes because my undergrad degree was strictly English lit and I applied for joint programs in women/gender/sexuality studies. Since I don't have many classes on the latter I thought about enrolling in one or two. Do you suggest doing post-bacc work? Or just taking classes from a local university? I think I can enroll in a graduate level course at the University of Oregon (I live in Eugene), so maybe I should do that? Curious what y'all think.

One of my letter writers said that after he was shut out his first year applying for PhD programs he was able to take graduate English courses at a local university while he reapplied. He said it was "transformative" and he was accepted everywhere he applied the following year! I'm not sure how taking grad classes works if you're not enrolled in the program, but I think it's definitely common! I wish I could do that but if I do end up taking next year off to reapply I will probably live at home and there isn't an English graduate program at the local university :( major bummer, but I might take a language course in Latin, which I think would ultimately benefit my application. Will definitely spend all summer studying for the GRE... the bane of my existence lol 

25 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

One of my letter writers said that after he was shut out his first year applying for PhD programs he was able to take graduate English courses at a local university while he reapplied. He said it was "transformative" and he was accepted everywhere he applied the following year! I'm not sure how taking grad classes works if you're not enrolled in the program, but I think it's definitely common! I wish I could do that but if I do end up taking next year off to reapply I will probably live at home and there isn't an English graduate program at the local university :( major bummer, but I might take a language course in Latin, which I think would ultimately benefit my application. Will definitely spend all summer studying for the GRE... the bane of my existence lol 

Non-degree seeking student. There should be a section on every program's admissions page about this. It's a great way to beef up your admissions profile. My friend Christine did this before doing her MA in Cardiff. Only drawback as far as I know is that you can't get funding for it, other than private loans. That may not be true in all cases.

Being shut out feels pretty fuckin terrible. I know it does. But it IS common.  and while I'm sure you're not particularly interested in hearing more vague "stick with it" encouragement, I do think it's important to know that a shut out doesn't mean you need to lower your expectations. For example, last year I applied to 7 schools (across all ranking levels) and didn't get an offer from a single one. This year i cast a wider net and got into a handful of schools, including one of my "dream schools," Brown. I was still rejected from the mid 40 range schools to which I had applied last year, as well as some heavy hitters like DUKE, NYU, and U Chicago, but i had a vastly more successful application season because i had a full year to figure out what I wanted to study and find schools that fit my interests.

Also, I guarantee when you get ready to rewrite your SOP you'll look at this year's version and think, "I have so much more to say."

9 minutes ago, frankendingus said:

Being shut out feels pretty fuckin terrible. I know it does. But it IS common.  and while I'm sure you're not particularly interested in hearing more vague "stick with it" encouragement, I do think it's important to know that a shut out doesn't mean you need to lower your expectations. For example, last year I applied to 7 schools (across all ranking levels) and didn't get an offer from a single one. This year i cast a wider net and got into a handful of schools, including one of my "dream schools," Brown. I was still rejected from the mid 40 range schools to which I had applied last year, as well as some heavy hitters like DUKE, NYU, and U Chicago, but i had a vastly more successful application season because i had a full year to figure out what I wanted to study and find schools that fit my interests.

Also, I guarantee when you get ready to rewrite your SOP you'll look at this year's version and think, "I have so much more to say."

This is how I'm feeling! I am trying to look at it positively because now I have the opportunity to apply to different programs that are probably a better fit anyway. I am still sad, but more and more I am a little excited at the fact that I get another chance to think about this and do it better. It can be exciting! Thanks for these super kind words. 

1 minute ago, natalielouise said:

This is how I'm feeling! I am trying to look at it positively because now I have the opportunity to apply to different programs that are probably a better fit anyway. I am still sad, but more and more I am a little excited at the fact that I get another chance to think about this and do it better. It can be exciting! Thanks for these super kind words. 

The fact that you feel excited and strategic about next year is awesome. 

Oh! and as per your original post, I would say fuck the subject GRE if that's what you were considering retaking. I had an abysmal score and got waitlisted at the one school that required it. grain of salt though, obviously. 

54 minutes ago, frankendingus said:

The fact that you feel excited and strategic about next year is awesome. 

Oh! and as per your original post, I would say fuck the subject GRE if that's what you were considering retaking. I had an abysmal score and got waitlisted at the one school that required it. grain of salt though, obviously. 

I am actually just speaking of the regular GRE; my subject scores aren't great but I am not too worried about those. My verbal score was in like the 80th percentile and I understand that's not really competitive, so I think I will definitely retake it this summer!

Well, it's finally happened. There are a couple of implied rejections still floating out there but it looks like I'm also shut out this season. It's a tough pill to swallow after thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of work. After a lot of reflection, I've decided that my expressed research interests were too specific/esoteric. A current phd student friend I shared my statement with said something like, "huh, that is really interesting but you probably should have gone with something more traditional." Oh well. 

I had a 170 verbal score, a Masters, a strong writing sample, years of teaching experience, enthusiastic letter writers, and I wasn't even waitlisted anywhere. Im not sure where to go from here, or if I even want to try again next year. Maybe I'm just bitter, but this process has left a bad taste in my mouth. I am so passionate about access to education for anyone who seeks it so to be personally denied the opportunity to continue my studies feels just awful. 

I am genuinely pleased for everyone whose hard work has paid off and hope you all have fulfilling experiences in your programs. For those who weren't offered a spot, I hope you are either filled with the fiery motivation of redemption, or the calm certainty that there is something else out there better suited to you. 

If you fall into the latter category (as I feel I might) please note that the teaching credential exam for English is like an easier version of the literature GRE so that massive pile of notes you couldn't bring yourself to recycle may yet have another purpose :)  

A HUGE thank you to everyone on this forum who offered assistance and assurance throughout this process. 

I'm not sure if one waitlist counts as being shut-out, but I'm confident that I won't get in, and it's a gross feeling! I'm currently hoping that I'll get into a year MA and reapply, but if not, then I have no idea what will happen....

On 3/2/2017 at 1:41 PM, Pezpoet said:

So sorry to hear this. For what it's worth, I feel ya on the year of unsubstantial floating. I mean, I'll use it to study for the subject test, take classes, and try to buff up my CV. But, another year of slog work is queued up. Do you think you'll apply to different programs? How long are you giving yourself to grieve before starting in again on the application process? 

Sending you (and all the shut out others) lots of strength and fight. Here's to 2018!

Also, wrt grieving: I think it really depends. I know that I want to do this until I get into a school, and I feel really strongly about that, so I may already have a new list of schools for 2018. But then again, I'm also laying in bed watching the Great British Bake Off and wondering where I went wrong, so maybe this is grieving? Ahhhhh this is all awful. 

10 hours ago, la_mod said:

Also, wrt grieving: I think it really depends. I know that I want to do this until I get into a school, and I feel really strongly about that, so I may already have a new list of schools for 2018. But then again, I'm also laying in bed watching the Great British Bake Off and wondering where I went wrong, so maybe this is grieving? Ahhhhh this is all awful. 

OMG me too. I love the Great British Bake Off and am working my way through the season too (team Tamal). I started to think about schools for the 2018 cycle and was like, nope, more British humor please!

@LouisePlease, so sorry to hear about your disappointing season. Your stats are crazy impressive, so maybe it was just an anomaly in which the schools didn't quite have a spot for you this year? I realize in saying those words I sound like all my very well-intended friends and family who have said something similar (it doesn't really take the sting out of 9 rejections). Just know you're not alone. Sending lots of strength.

I got shut out my first time around (7 or 8 apps).  It doesn't mean your work isn't good or valuable, it just means it wasn't what a few particular adcoms were looking for this year.   Take a break, cultivate your other interests for awhile, and get a new set of eyes on your materials in a couple of months.  it worked for me!

59 minutes ago, Pezpoet said:

OMG me too. I love the Great British Bake Off and am working my way through the season too (team Tamal). I started to think about schools for the 2018 cycle and was like, nope, more British humor please!

58 minutes ago, natalielouise said:

Wish I could up-vote because Great British Bake Off is life. Chopped is also a favorite in times of trouble but it was taken off Netflix :'( 

YES. I've tried to get my friends/partner into the Great British Bake Off, and none of them appreciate its greatness. I'm in deep mourning now that it's leaving the BBC. No more Mary! There's no way it can be as good. 

Also, I'm sorry about the bad breaks, guys:( Hope you're treating yourself to some important self-care! For what its worth, I also didn't get into any PhD programs when I applied directly from the BA and so went the MA route instead. It worked out much better during the second app season. Hang in there! 

22 hours ago, LouisePlease said:

Well, it's finally happened. There are a couple of implied rejections still floating out there but it looks like I'm also shut out this season. It's a tough pill to swallow after thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of work. After a lot of reflection, I've decided that my expressed research interests were too specific/esoteric. A current phd student friend I shared my statement with said something like, "huh, that is really interesting but you probably should have gone with something more traditional." Oh well. 

I had a 170 verbal score, a Masters, a strong writing sample, years of teaching experience, enthusiastic letter writers, and I wasn't even waitlisted anywhere. Im not sure where to go from here, or if I even want to try again next year. Maybe I'm just bitter, but this process has left a bad taste in my mouth. I am so passionate about access to education for anyone who seeks it so to be personally denied the opportunity to continue my studies feels just awful. 

I am genuinely pleased for everyone whose hard work has paid off and hope you all have fulfilling experiences in your programs. For those who weren't offered a spot, I hope you are either filled with the fiery motivation of redemption, or the calm certainty that there is something else out there better suited to you. 

If you fall into the latter category (as I feel I might) please note that the teaching credential exam for English is like an easier version of the literature GRE so that massive pile of notes you couldn't bring yourself to recycle may yet have another purpose :)  

A HUGE thank you to everyone on this forum who offered assistance and assurance throughout this process. 

I'm sorry  to hear this season did not go how you planned.  I will say though, that it is rarely a case of research interests being too specific, and I would caution you against that approach if you try next year. 

I know you might not be in the mood to answer this question, but what were your interests? If you don't want to announce it publicly pm me. 

On 3/3/2017 at 10:06 AM, anxiousgrad said:

I am definitely going to reapply, but I don't know if I can improve my application substantially enough to reapply this year. I plan to retake the GRE and subject test, present at conferences, try to publish a chapter of my thesis, and revise a chapter into a new writing sample. I will also revise my SOPs substantially and apply to some different programs. I applied to 12 programs and would maybe reapply to a couple of them, but I'm a little bitter and don't necessarily want to face rejection from them again. I also think I'll apply to as many programs as I can possibly afford.

@anxiousgrad, I definitely encourage you to use your anger to improve your application. (Lord knows that anger is a great motivator--it certainly worked for me.) However, I would just caution you that what you've laid out there is an extraordinarily ambitious plan. I know senior scholars on sabbaticals who can't accomplish that much in a year. 

I think that doing one or two of those things would probably suffice. If you feel your GRE is a weakness, then work on that. And then work on your writing sample, because that's the centerpiece of your application. There is no need to try to publish it at this point. The one good reason you might send it out for publication is that you could possibly get a reader's report that would help you revise it further, but it oftentimes takes a while to get a reader's report back. (*looks guiltily at a manuscript doc on my hard drive that I was supposed to review a month ago*) However, sometimes reader's reports can be a bit of a head trip. Like, I've known young graduate students who send things out too early and then get somewhat jerkish reports back (some readers just aren't that nice). If you're not prepared for it, it can really do a number on your self confidence. 

Re: conferences--I wouldn't worry about presenting at conferences. They're really not that important, and they certainly don't matter at all in the admissions process. Sometimes they can be good for networking ... but more for junior scholars and ABD grad students. I'm sure we all have a stray anecdote about Rock Star Scholar singling out Johnny Grad Hopeful at a panel and telling him to apply straightaway to Prestigious Program of Awesome Sauce ... but it rarely happens. You're more likely to discover another lost Whitman novel in the meantime.

So all of that is not to discourage you--I just think that you should focus your energy on one or two things rather than lay out an ambitious plan and then feel like you haven't done enough. I also encourage you not to take a year "off" to do these (somewhat impossible) things but to apply again next year. But do give yourself the next 2 months to rest before you gear up again.

I just joined GradCafe basically so I could be involved in this thread. I am so frustrated about all the rejections. I'm also working on my BA thesis right now and it is really hard to get motivated and shun the overwhelming sense of impostor syndrome when you're getting hit with one rejection after another.

It feels awful having everything put on hold. I applied to really tough programs because I was way too overconfident I guess, and now that confidence has gone completely to the wayside. I also basically sacrificed any sense of a social life throughout undergrad so I could be prepared for grad school applications. And I hate where I live so I don't want to be stuck here for another year just floating... Plus my boyfriend with whom I've been long-distance for three years was going to move into an apartment with me wherever I got accepted, but since we won't be moving there isn't any reason to change our current status quo. It's so hard to look at this from a rational standpoint when its really such an emotional situation.

I have no clue what to do with the next year. I don't think I can afford to do more classes, though... I'm waiting to hear about funding from my one MA acceptance, but it isn't looking good so far and without the funding there's no way I could go. Any and all suggestions of good ways to spend a year off would be very very welcome!

Edited by jetleigh

2 hours ago, jetleigh said:

I just joined GradCafe basically so I could be involved in this thread. I am so frustrated about all the rejections. I'm also working on my BA thesis right now and it is really hard to get motivated and shun the overwhelming sense of impostor syndrome when you're getting hit with one rejection after another.

It feels awful having everything put on hold. I applied to really tough programs because I was way too overconfident I guess, and now that confidence has gone completely to the wayside. I also basically sacrificed any sense of a social life throughout undergrad so I could be prepared for grad school applications. And I hate where I live so I don't want to be stuck here for another year just floating... Plus my boyfriend with whom I've been long-distance for three years was going to move into an apartment with me wherever I got accepted, but since we won't be moving there isn't any reason to change our current status quo. It's so hard to look at this from a rational standpoint when its really such an emotional situation.

I have no clue what to do with the next year. I don't think I can afford to do more classes, though... I'm waiting to hear about funding from my one MA acceptance, but it isn't looking good so far and without the funding there's no way I could go. Any and all suggestions of good ways to spend a year off would be very very welcome!

oh my gosh. this is me to a tee. i totally have spent the last three years (in my hometown, because i didn't want to take out loans for school, because i can't afford it and wanted to save for grad school) and it's like. for what? what was that all for? (and then i know that i am only where i am BECAUSE of my decisions and i need to believe in myself, etc... but it's still hard.) 

if it makes you feel better, it seemed like a really tough year. one of my profs was adamant that schools — especially top-tier ones like we both applied to — are hesitant to invest in someone who doesn't even have a BA at the time they're applying. so there's that. ugh. it is really emotional.

adding on: i'm also working on my BA thesis, which i used for my writing sample. i took some time off from it before i got my decisions, as to not freak out about it. thank goodness i did, because the paper has SO much room for improvement! ugh! 

Edited by la_mod