SLP in Medical Field Advice

So now that acceptances are starting to roll in, I'm wondering if anyone has advice. I want to work in a hospital after I graduate. I'm wondering what sorts of things I should be looking for in a graduate program to make me more successful in a hospital setting! Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
  •  

You might want to look at programs that are more med-specific (UW Med, NY Medical, etc.) I assume you have already applied though? You can certainly get the experience in any program, but I would make sure medical clinical opportunities are not too challenging to obtain while in your program. I would call programs (or talk to students if you can) and ask how many relationships the school has for medical externships.

In terms of coursework, most of it is going to be pretty much the same since all programs need to meet the same certification requirements. Look at the program you're going to and see if you have get elective hours (You might get 2 or 3 elective classes at most). Does your department offer extra coursework in swallowing (a big part of hospital work) or adult neurogenic disorders (the other big part of hospital work)? Maybe look in other disciplines and see if there is a course you can add (medical terminology, counseling could be useful, multicultural considerations in health care, legal environment of healthcare, etc). 

Your clinical hours also have to be divided among the scope of practice in a pretty "set" way. But there is flexibility, so try your hardest to get a rotation in a hospital setting for your adult hours. Express your interest early (planning clinical rotations is sometimes done years in advance) but be willing to accept that your professors are the experts and know what you need more than you do. You kind of have to trust them. 

Finally, get involved with research. Any research experience is good, but especially related to the populations you'd work with in the hospital (again mostly swallowing and adult neurogenic). That experience can be really valuable in terms of making you a better clinician but also for your resume - lots of hospital have staff engaging in active research projects.

Hope that helps :)