NYU Class of 2019 (on campus)

@SLPCeli Are you going to Admitted Students Day on March 24? I work full time so not sure it's feasible for me, but I'm on the fence about attending (due mostly to cost), so thinking it might be worth my while to check it out. I'd join the facebook group but I'm friends with a coworker on FB and they don't know I'm planning this career change :ph34r:

Edited by ElKel87

4 hours ago, ElKel87 said:

@SLPCeli Are you going to Admitted Students Day on March 24? I work full time so not sure it's feasible for me, but I'm on the fence about attending (due mostly to cost), so thinking it might be worth my while to check it out. I'd join the facebook group but I'm friends with a coworker on FB and they don't know I'm planning this career change :ph34r:

Hey! I will be attending the Admitted students day! If for any reason you can't come feel free to message me for notes and info on what it was like! :)

Thanks for making this page! NYU was one of my top choices tied with TC Columbia. I haven't heard from columbia yet, but I'm thinking of jumping the gun and accepting NYU! I wish I could attend the open house on the 24th, but I'm from California and It's in the midst of midterms for me, so unfortunately I won't be there. Bummed though, I really wanted to be able to meet the professors and current students to get their take on the program.. But I already declined the offer from my home school (CSULB) because my sights are pretty set on NYU, so there's no turning back! 

26 minutes ago, CaliK8 said:

Thanks for making this page! NYU was one of my top choices tied with TC Columbia. I haven't heard from columbia yet, but I'm thinking of jumping the gun and accepting NYU! I wish I could attend the open house on the 24th, but I'm from California and It's in the midst of midterms for me, so unfortunately I won't be there. Bummed though, I really wanted to be able to meet the professors and current students to get their take on the program.. But I already declined the offer from my home school (CSULB) because my sights are pretty set on NYU, so there's no turning back! 

TC's results are traditionally out around this time though so maybe you could wait just a few more days in case you get accepted to TC!

I will be going to the open house so let's see what I can find out! And I went to NYU for undergrad (not for speech though) so if you have any general questions about the school I can try to answer them.

36 minutes ago, CaliK8 said:

Yay! That's so exciting! My sights are set on NYU as well! I haven't heard from Columbia TC either but I will say I had the chance to talk to a current student and she really gave me some great insight about NYU's program. I'm really excited! Columbia is great but NYU's my first choice because of the research opportunities! I'll post about the open house on this thread or you can message me if you have any questions! :) 

1 minute ago, zurako said:

TC's results are traditionally out around this time though so maybe you could wait just a few more days in case you get accepted to TC!

I will be going to the open house so let's see what I can find out! And I went to NYU for undergrad (not for speech though) so if you have any general questions about the school I can try to answer them.

Awesome!! None of my friends/peers applied to schools in NY, so it's kind of tough for me right now trying to make decisions. I know a lot about CA schools, but not much about NY schools haha. But thank you so much! How do you like NYU? My friend just started in Jan for the masters forensic psych program and she loves it.. Hoping i'll love the school and the program without visiting.. I can't make it out there before my deposit deadline :(

13 minutes ago, languagegirl said:

Yay! That's so exciting! My sights are set on NYU as well! I haven't heard from Columbia TC either but I will say I had the chance to talk to a current student and she really gave me some great insight about NYU's program. I'm really excited! Columbia is great but NYU's my first choice because of the research opportunities! I'll post about the open house on this thread or you can message me if you have any questions! :) 

Same goes for me! Initially NYU was my top choice for the research opportunities, but i'm pursuing a craniofacial speciality and was drawn to the opportunities that TC has for that area. I must say I've had such a great impression of NYU thus far.. I reached out to them via email with questions and informed them that I will not be able to attend the luncheon, and the gal offered to mail me the materials that the attendees will be receiving!! I still have my qualms about choosing a big program like NYU or TC because the faculty at these programs tend to be cold and unsupportive.. and support and collaboration is a big thing for me, especially coming from an undergrad program that is built on those principles :unsure:

I wish I knew someone in the program to get more info!! If you don't mind me asking, what the current student had to say about the program? Hopefully all good things?

Thank you so much for offering to post about the open house!! I'm excited to read about it!!

Edited by CaliK8

9 minutes ago, CaliK8 said:

Same goes for me! Initially NYU was my top choice for the research opportunities, but i'm pursuing a craniofacial speciality and was drawn to the opportunities that TC has for that area. I must say I've had such a great impression of NYU thus far.. I reached out to them via email with questions and informed them that I will not be able to attend the luncheon, and the gal offered to mail me the materials that the attendees will be receiving!! I still have my qualms about choosing a big program like NYU or TC because the faculty at these programs tend to be cold and unsupportive.. and support and collaboration is a big thing for me, especially coming from an undergrad program that is built on those principles :unsure:

I wish I knew someone in the program to get more info!! If you don't mind me asking, what the current student had to say about the program? Hopefully all good things?

Of course! So I asked what made her choose NYU, and she told me about the relationship that NYU has with the Terrence Cardinal Cooke Huntington's Disease Unit and how many patients with Huntington's don't receive insurance for speech therapy due to the progressive nature of the disease. NYU students provide these patients with speech therapy and it's the only way they can afford it. I had never heard of this connection and i thought it was awesome!

She also discussed how classes can be difficult but manageable. Most students follow a sequence for their schedules but you get to personalize your schedule at the same time. I love that you have some say it what classes and your schedule are going to be. 

She is thoroughly enjoying her time at NYU and even though she didn't think she would like research, she is actually working on a masters thesis now. I was connected with her through the CSD department. I emailed them and asked them to connect me with a current student. They emailed me a day later with a student and her email address. I was able to ask her all my questions and everything she told me just made me feel better about my decision to attend NYU. I would definitely recommend it since you can't attend the open house! 

@CaliK8 I am glad I did my undergrad there! The school provided me with a lot of unique opportunities that I feel like I might not be able to get elsewhere. I actually got to take a graduate level class that happens to be an elective for the speech program. It was underwhelming but it wasn't from the communicative disorders department so... The staff are very helpful should you have any problem or concern; you are paying a lot of money to be there! Some professors are good and some are bad which is the norm for every school. The buildings are really nice and a majority of them surround the Washington Square Park, but there is absolutely no "campus" because they are still scattered. I don't think it would be a problem because we would only be in the department most of the time, but you need to think about the housing situation. Not sure how grad housing works, but the dorms right by the park are mostly reserved for freshman so upperclassmen lived further away and would have to speedwalk to class in 15 minutes. If you tried to rent a studio by yourself it would cost 2k for a tiny tiny studio because that area is one of the most expensive land. I loved the neighborhood though because there's so much to do and eat, and if you wanted to shop SOHO is 10 minutes away. Oh and the students are very nice, and there is a huge variety of people that you can be sure to find your niche if you go to student clubs or something.

7 minutes ago, languagegirl said:

Of course! So I asked what made her choose NYU, and she told me about the relationship that NYU has with the Terrence Cardinal Cooke Huntington's Disease Unit and how many patients with Huntington's don't receive insurance for speech therapy due to the progressive nature of the disease. NYU students provide these patients with speech therapy and it's the only way they can afford it. I had never heard of this connection and i thought it was awesome!

She also discussed how classes can be difficult but manageable. Most students follow a sequence for their schedules but you get to personalize your schedule at the same time. I love that you have some say it what classes and your schedule are going to be. 

She is thoroughly enjoying her time at NYU and even though she didn't think she would like research, she is actually working on a masters thesis now. I was connected with her through the CSD department. I emailed them and asked them to connect me with a current student. They emailed me a day later with a student and her email address. I was able to ask her all my questions and everything she told me just made me feel better about my decision to attend NYU. I would definitely recommend it since you can't attend the open house! 

Wow that's so great! I really like that we get a say in our schedules too.. especially because a lot of programs tend to go by a cohort system where everyone is on the same track. But yay! I actually asked to get connected too but haven't had the time to email my student.. I was planning to do it this weekend but I just don't even know where to start with my questions!! 

5 minutes ago, zurako said:

@CaliK8 I am glad I did my undergrad there! The school provided me with a lot of unique opportunities that I feel like I might not be able to get elsewhere. I actually got to take a graduate level class that happens to be an elective for the speech program. It was underwhelming but it wasn't from the communicative disorders department so... The staff are very helpful should you have any problem or concern; you are paying a lot of money to be there! Some professors are good and some are bad which is the norm for every school. The buildings are really nice and a majority of them surround the Washington Square Park, but there is absolutely no "campus" because they are still scattered. I don't think it would be a problem because we would only be in the department most of the time, but you need to think about the housing situation. Not sure how grad housing works, but the dorms right by the park are mostly reserved for freshman so upperclassmen lived further away and would have to speedwalk to class in 15 minutes. If you tried to rent a studio by yourself it would cost 2k for a tiny tiny studio because that area is one of the most expensive land. I loved the neighborhood though because there's so much to do and eat, and if you wanted to shop SOHO is 10 minutes away. Oh and the students are very nice, and there is a huge variety of people that you can be sure to find your niche if you go to student clubs or something.

It sounds so exciting! I'm used to a campus, so it'll be nice to have a change. A big thing for me was change, I really want/need it! And I've heard great things about the people who go to NYU! A girl in my program lived in NY for a while, and was telling me that I'd love it at NYU and she really thinks it'll be a good fit for me. Hopefully she's right! haha 

Housing has definitely been on my mind since I got my offer! I was looking into the grad housing, but I think I may have missed the deadline. So i'm wondering what my options are right now.. I don't have full access yet because I haven't paid my deposit. My friend and I are planning to move in together. She's currently rooming with 3 girls she met via the housing website, but their lease ends in july.. right around the time i'm planning to head out there. Any tips for us?? 

I totally understand not knowing where to start with the questions! I asked so many but so far the program and department have been really supportive and helpful! 

Also, I don't think you're too late for housing. If I'm not mistaken you have until the end of April to apply and then they let you know by June! However, I know that housing for NYU grads is limited. If possible you can always see if you can take over the lease with your friend after her roommates move out! Just some ideas :) 

Did anyone get an email from NYU financial aid saying they needed their social security because CSDCAS doesn't send it to them? I called and had it sorted out. Just wanted to know if anyone got anything similar? 

@CaliK8 I am the exact opposite! After 4 years of walking around with tourists and random shoppers I would love love love a campus! It is a great place to be and I am sure you would love it. Unfortunately, I was a commuter so I am completely clueless about how to get housing. Everything I talked about is from the experiences of my friends.

@languagegirl I got the email too! It's weird because I already received my financial aid package so I am not sure if I still need to call... I went to NYU for undergrad so they already have my social security number technically. Did you get your finaid package yet?

1 minute ago, zurako said:

@CaliK8 I am the exact opposite! After 4 years of walking around with tourists and random shoppers I would love love love a campus! It is a great place to be and I am sure you would love it. Unfortunately, I was a commuter so I am completely clueless about how to get housing. Everything I talked about is from the experiences of my friends.

@languagegirl I got the email too! It's weird because I already received my financial aid package so I am not sure if I still need to call... I went to NYU for undergrad so they already have my social security number technically. Did you get your finaid package yet?

I haven't gotten a financial packet so I'm just wondering if maybe that's why. But that's definitely weird!! I mean all my other schools get my social from CSDCAS lol. 

9 minutes ago, languagegirl said:

I haven't gotten a financial packet so I'm just wondering if maybe that's why. But that's definitely weird!! I mean all my other schools get my social from CSDCAS lol. 

I honestly don't remember if I ever typed in my social for CSDCAS, but if they have my FAFSA I don't understand why they wouldn't have my social. I am feeling too lazy to call since I already have my finaid package haha.

10 hours ago, languagegirl said:

Did anyone get an email from NYU financial aid saying they needed their social security because CSDCAS doesn't send it to them? I called and had it sorted out. Just wanted to know if anyone got anything similar? 

Yes! I got this email.. I tried calling but I just missed them by a few minutes, so I'll try again tomorrow. 

@languagegirl I called them last week because I saw some people had received their financial aid package and I hadn't. They told me they were missing my social (I filled out my FAFSA in November so not sure how that's possible) so I gave it to them and they said my package would be coming this week. Haven't received it yet, and then I got that same email yesterday. Thinking I may try to call today to confirm.

2 hours ago, ElKel87 said:

@languagegirl I called them last week because I saw some people had received their financial aid package and I hadn't. They told me they were missing my social (I filled out my FAFSA in November so not sure how that's possible) so I gave it to them and they said my package would be coming this week. Haven't received it yet, and then I got that same email yesterday. Thinking I may try to call today to confirm.

Well let's see if hopefully we hear back this week or next week!! 

@languagegirl I just got an email with my financial aid package! If you haven't called yet I would call just to confirm they have your social. I filled out my FAFSA too but they didn't have it on file until I called.

1 hour ago, ElKel87 said:

@languagegirl I just got an email with my financial aid package! If you haven't called yet I would call just to confirm they have your social. I filled out my FAFSA too but they didn't have it on file until I called.

That's so weird!! I'm definitely going to call them to make sure they got my FAFSA and my social...