Advice for prospective PhD students

Hello,

for those who are currently pursuing PhDs, what would be your best advice for MSW students, even if they do not know at this point if they'll do a PhD? What would be the best advice to keep doors and opportunities in academia open?

Thank you,

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this thread.

I'm considering applying to a Phd program in the next few years. I have my LCSW and MSW and have been working in a managerial position at a homeless service agency for the past two years. Any advice on applications and/or type of work that would make me more marketable to Phd programs? I've published one book review but that's the extent of my publishing experience.

I agree with @Lois1955, to make sure you have that post MSW experience. Your well crafted personal statement will also play a huge factor. Maintain a good (and I use that word lightly) GPA.

Connect with professors at the colleges that you would potentially like to work with/conduct research with. Established some rapport with them. 

If you cringe at the thought of the GRE, don't worry. I did not do so well on the GRE and had minimal (1 year) research experience, but I was accepted to a good PhD program in my first year applying. So anything possible.

Please consider applying to more than 4 colleges. Increase your chances of getting accepted and of finding a program that fits your interests. 

@sarahdelrey have you also thought about a DSW since you have a LCSW?