I was admitted to the USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work at the University of Southern California! I am so excited because it is my dream school! I really didn't think I would get in so I was not prepared for the cost of the tuition. USC is Top 12 Social Work program and I want to go their so badly, BUT is the cost of the tuition worth it??? I am waiting to hear back from Cal State LA as well. Would greatly appreciate feedback!!!

I applied only two schools and they happened to be USC and CSULA. 

I have been accepted into both schools (USC on 02/27 and CSULA on 03/01) and now I am not sure which school to choose. 

I would love to go to USC if money is not an issue. BUT, money is an issue when it costs over 100k+ just in tuition to get a MSW at USC. 

Of course, USC is somewhat generous with their scholarships compared to CSU but the issue I have is that I need to pay a non-refundable commitment deposit of $280 to save my spot before knowing if I would receive any scholarship funding. I am sure $280 is nothing in the long run compared to the 100k+ tuition. (Maybe I am just cheap! Haha...)

On the other hand, CSULA was my safety net. I went there for my undergraduate degree so I am very comfortable at CSULA.

Part of me wants to break away from my safety net and submit my letter of intent to USC. Part of me is cheap and would like to save myself around 75k in student loans by going to CSULA.

Sorry, I likely didn't help with your dilemma. Hopefully, someone out there will be able to enlighten us. :)

Hey, congrats!

USC was the only school I applied to and got in. However, I have decided to face the tuition charges because in the end only you can make that choice. I didn't apply anywhere else because I couldn't see myself happy at another school. Also, I have looked into the program and I am very interested in getting involved in clubs and research projects. 

So it is really up to you! 

• 2 months later...

I have never heard of anyone NOT getting into USC's MSW program. I am a recent graduate of an online MSW program, and I will tell you that potential employers place little to no emphasis on where the degree came from. Accreditation and field/professional experience are the deciding factors. I have had no issues with landing interviews, and I accepted a job offer with the employer of my choice, one month before graduation. My advice, attend a cheaper program. 

On 3/6/2017 at 11:08 PM, ladymentha said:

I applied only two schools and they happened to be USC and CSULA. 

I have been accepted into both schools (USC on 02/27 and CSULA on 03/01) and now I am not sure which school to choose. 

I would love to go to USC if money is not an issue. BUT, money is an issue when it costs over 100k+ just in tuition to get a MSW at USC. 

Of course, USC is somewhat generous with their scholarships compared to CSU but the issue I have is that I need to pay a non-refundable commitment deposit of $280 to save my spot before knowing if I would receive any scholarship funding. I am sure $280 is nothing in the long run compared to the 100k+ tuition. (Maybe I am just cheap! Haha...)

On the other hand, CSULA was my safety net. I went there for my undergraduate degree so I am very comfortable at CSULA.

Part of me wants to break away from my safety net and submit my letter of intent to USC. Part of me is cheap and would like to save myself around 75k in student loans by going to CSULA.

Sorry, I likely didn't help with your dilemma. Hopefully, someone out there will be able to enlighten us. :)

I agree, I just received my acceptance and was told by the admitting rep that I have to sign the paperwork, letting them know I am attending before the financial aid packet can be provided. Not cool or transparent.