Clinical Psychology admissions

MBAer

Hey everyone! 

I'm just curious as to what kind of average someone needs to get accepted to the MA/PhD joint clinical psychology program at UNB? I know clinical psychology is very competitive, but I'm wondering if something like a 3.85/4.0 GPA would make someone competitive? 

Is  UNB University of New Brunswick? If so, you can google the answer. I did it for you:

http://www.unb.ca/fredericton/arts/graduate/psychology/clinical/apply/index.html

You can look at programs across the country and most have info about the successful mean GPR, GRE, etc. of applicants. 

It really varies quite a bit. 

Thank you! UNB's site only tells of the "minimum to be able to apply".. where do I find stats from other schools about the grades of accepted students? 

Most schools wesbites list it somewhere under "apply" about their averages. You can also find a lot of information under "student outcomes and admissions data" too. Again, you will find this info on each school's website. 

I can't speak to UNB specifically, but I know people who have been accepted to Canadian schools with a 3.7 and rejected with a 4.0. Once your GPA reaches a certain point, I think experience and fit are more important. That being said, I would guess that a 3.85 is definitely competitive. 

GPA isn't everything when it comes to clinical admissions. If you have high GRE's along with a high GPA and strong research experience, then you'll be a good candidate. I was a bit over the minimum for UNB and I was still accepted, but I also had high GRE scores and a few pubs. 

26 minutes ago, FacelessMage said:

GPA isn't everything when it comes to clinical admissions. If you have high GRE's along with a high GPA and strong research experience, then you'll be a good candidate. I was a bit over the minimum for UNB and I was still accepted, but I also had high GRE scores and a few pubs. 

To add to this, yes GPA is certainly not everything when it comes to admissions. It's more of a requirement to have your application looked at (you want to have maybe a 3.5 or above then you're good) but once they narrow it down it's all about experience (mostly research, but clinical can help too) and fit (meaning research interests). Can't speak to that school specifically but this is the general game of Clinical Psych PhD apps. 

Take two students for example:

Student A: 4.0 GPA, high GRE, no research experience, somewhat related interests

Student B: 3.5 GPA, average GRE, multiple publications and posters in exactly what POI is studying

9 times out of 10, Student B is getting in. (this is a totally made up statistic by the way):o

That being said, from everything I've seen if you have a 3.85 you're probably totally fine on the GPA front.