SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

It's an endless source of frustration for grad students who have to negotiate institutional deadlines that never seem to quite match up. it's always the students who bear the brunt of the stress and anxiety when it comes down to it. like, if the second week of april is the standard deadline for accepting/declining offers of admission, you would think that the offices responsible for granting federal and provincial scholarships would be able to announce results a little earlier. a friend of mine doing his PhD in the US told me that getting admitted to his school was contingent upon receiving SSHRC funding. otherwise he would have had to move to the UK! i am glad, whether or not my app is successful this year, that I am not waiting to see which continent i'll be moving to in the fall.

Okay, it looks like I was a bit hasty. I just got this email from grad studies:

"We have been notified by SSHRC that the 2010 competition results will be announced by mid May."

Sorry. It looks like we have a while yet before SSHRC releases any results.

Edited by natalia

"We have been notified by SSHRC that the 2010 competition results will be announced by mid May."

omg!!

Call me optimistic, but I have some reservations about those two contrasting timelines you have posted. I much prefer hold on to the "start of May" option, and keep checking my mail anxiously every day until SSHRC send my mail...

Call me optimistic, but I have some reservations about those two contrasting timelines you have posted. I much prefer hold on to the "start of May" option, and keep checking my mail anxiously every day until SSHRC send my mail...

I'm hoping for that

Edited by winwinwin

I just called SSHRC on the number listed on the website and asked about doctoral SSHRC awards for this year. I was told that ALL doctoral SSHRC letters will be sent out this week. I asked further and he said that MAYBE they would be sent out tomorrow (but unlikely). He said that they will almost for sure be sent out on or before Thursday morning. So hopefully results start arriving in mailboxes by the end of the week!

It's about time!!!

Gahhhhhhhh! Ok I seriously think I've actually given myself an ulcer today knowing today might be the day (erm, well, of course, it wouldn't be the day for me since I'm in the UK...but still, it's just the idea of people knowing today, there's seriously a pit in my stomach!). Spent the morning reading through the entire SSHRC postdoc wiki...you know, for fun. And now..."mid May"?? I feel lightheaded...

But I think I'm sticking with jahmal on this... "will be announced BY mid May" could just mean they are in fact mailing them out this week like the other email said (maybe late this week), so most people will have received them by mid-May. Makes sense.

But um, yeah, to the bar it is...

I just called SSHRC on the number listed on the website and asked about doctoral SSHRC awards for this year. I was told that ALL doctoral SSHRC letters will be sent out this week. I asked further and he said that MAYBE they would be sent out tomorrow (but unlikely). He said that they will almost for sure be sent out on or before Thursday morning. So hopefully results start arriving in mailboxes by the end of the week!

It's about time!!!

Alright then!! Thanks for calling. Although, having read the aforementioned wiki, I now have zero faith in the program officers' truthfulness....but here's hoping!!

This is just so ridiculous. I'm going to call them tomorrow (too busy today). Maybe if we all call then we can come up with an average score that will converge on "the truth" since what people say is so variable. Do they enjoy torturing us?

It's about time!!!

I much prefer this scenario. Maybe mid May is the very end of when people will get their letters?

However, SSHRC might just be giving out different dates to different people. I tend to believe the information that SSHRC sends to the awards offices over what they tell us. It seems like they would piss off all the wrong people if they lied directly to the offices.

Could this just be a conservative estimate accounting for the Master's notices, which will be distributed later? I bet you Doctorals still might be getting news within the week! Anticipation!

Has anyone recently asked SSHRC directly if they will be letting the universities know the results before we get our letters? I know there was some speculation about the server being down and the grad secretaries not being able to check the results.

Scratch that, I should read more carefully. All this waiting and stressing is interfering with my ability to understand basic text. ;)

Edited by cab123

It's an endless source of frustration for grad students who have to negotiate institutional deadlines that never seem to quite match up. it's always the students who bear the brunt of the stress and anxiety when it comes down to it. like, if the second week of april is the standard deadline for accepting/declining offers of admission, you would think that the offices responsible for granting federal and provincial scholarships would be able to announce results a little earlier. a friend of mine doing his PhD in the US told me that getting admitted to his school was contingent upon receiving SSHRC funding. otherwise he would have had to move to the UK! i am glad, whether or not my app is successful this year, that I am not waiting to see which continent i'll be moving to in the fall.

Yep. I can imagine that some people have offers to schools without full funding, so knowing whether you are going to get a SSHRC could be an important part of the decision making process (e.g., someone might accept a school's offer in the hopes that they'll get a SSHRC, but if they knew that they did not in advance, they might think twice about accepting). I just don't understand why it takes so long. The deadline was only last November!!!

I spoke to my grad administrator today, and she seems to think that we will find out this week. I suppose the mid May thing was just to forestall harassment by crazed grad students. Probaby a good idea.

I kind of want to call them tomorrow afternoon to ask if the letters have been sent out, but probably shouldn't be such a pain in the ass, lol.

Over the next two days I need to finish a major paper (and I have another 10 pages of dense social theory to write, blarg), and then I'm off to Toronto for a few days. What do you want to bet the letter will arrive immediately after I've left? *sigh*