SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

So that means that other's shouldn't email for their results???

Well, there are four possible outcomes of you doing so, three of which will put you in serious agony, so it is in your best interest not to. If you e-mail:

1. They say you're successful (yay!)

2. They say you're not (agony)

3. They say they can't tell you and you assume then, since they told RaaR, that they don't want to tell you bad news. (agony)

4. They don't reply (agony)

Best,

Canuck

Well, there are four possible outcomes of you doing so, three of which will put you in serious agony, so it is in your best interest not to. If you e-mail:

1. They say you're successful (yay!)

2. They say you're not (agony)

3. They say they can't tell you and you assume then, since they told RaaR, that they don't want to tell you bad news. (agony)

4. They don't reply (agony)

Best,

Canuck

Good point. Well I'll ask whether anyone else on this post has emailed to ask. Anyone?

I've just emailed with as polite and ingratiating a request as possible.

I've been getting government tax documents, and stats canada survey notices, in the mail all month. sheer torture every time I see the little canadian flag in the top corner of the envelope, only to realize it's yet another useless thing I am don't want to see! Even worse than bills!

Dangit, I was hoping to get to be the bearer of good news!

It turns out that SSHRC is posting results electronically after all. My grad studies office says they're e-mailing grad chairs this afternoon with results.

I also emailed to ask about the status of my application and was told that my letter was mailed out today. I'm in Toronto so I expect that could still mean Monday but I'll hope it gets here sooner.

I got the same response from SSHRC (here is the direct quote):

"Good afternoon,

Your result letter was sent by regular mail today.

We can not give out results over the phone or e-mail.

Thank you."

Back to peeking through the mailslot!

Dangit, I was hoping to get to be the bearer of good news!

It turns out that SSHRC is posting results electronically after all. My grad studies office says they're e-mailing grad chairs this afternoon with results.

Thanks, mudlark. I hope you're right, but really, I'm afraid to know the truth, especially given that RaaR had only a 21.1/30. To me, the guy's a superstar.

I'm hoping that since I didn't apply through a canadian university and don't have a department to tell me the results, they might be nice enough to send it thru email. Otherwise i'll be waiting until next week for sure...

To avoid frantic question-asking and other paranoia, let's report the basics when we post:

1. Funded/notfunded/waistlisted; Score out of 30, other score details, if applicable (if they broke it down by categories, etc.)

2. City

3. Letter received: date; Letter postmarked: date; Letter dated: date

4. Subject area and/or committee

5. Applied through your university or direct to Ottawa

6. Year in PhD studies when you would take up the award (so, what you’ll be in Sept/Oct. 2010)

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship??

8. Anything else you want to include that might be helpful: business-related project pitch? publications? major conference presentations? second time applying? MA SSHRC? OGS?

Feel free not to include anything you don't want to include. And remember, this is for posterity. Gladiators…I salute you!

Thanks, mudlark. I hope you're right, but really, I'm afraid to know the truth, especially given that RaaR had only a 21.1/30. To me, the guy's a superstar.

And that's a superstar score! Last year, I think a score around 17 or 18 on 30 got you a small SSHRC, and 21+ got you a CGS.

And that's a superstar score! Last year, I think a score around 17 or 18 on 30 got you a small SSHRC, and 21+ got you a CGS.

Good to know! RaaR is one of the most impressive people on paper (and in person!), for someone in his first year of a Ph.D. His C.V makes my knees weak.

Hypatia, what do you mean by this?

Ah, if you scroll down to the very bottom of the doctoral awards page http://www.sshrc.ca/site/apply-demande/program_descriptions-descriptions_de_programmes/fellowships/doctoral-doctorat-eng.aspx there are descriptions of these three other "extra" awards they give to the top doctoral applicants. The Ross one is for sociologists and gets you an additional $10,000; the Queen's is for Canadian Studies and covers tuition in addition to the award amount; and the Taylor fellowship is for the best doctoral applicant overall and awards you tuition and an additional $5,000. Nice!

Congrats RaaR! This is so exciting! I am so anxious though. Thank goodness for Saturday mail... if it is 3 days... which may be more to USA...

I won't sleep really, I won't.