SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

At Queen's, if you win a scholarship they substract $11,500 from your Financial Package. So you get $3,500 from a OGS...

Nice to see you around here, Bill. Waiting on the good SSHRC Dr., I imagine? Hope Dark Lord Sumon treated you all well this year.

sorry no. my funding package is 18k. my tuition is 7k.

It seems most likely to me that you don't actually have to pay tuition. I would suspect that you're getting $15k standard, plus a top up of $3k.

Also, thanks Canuckonomist. I feel less bad about being poor in that case. I have been pretty irritated with the U of T funding structure, however. I'm pretty frustrated that I'll be making quite a bit less money at U of T for my PhD than I am at a mediocre university for my MA. It's quite discouraging.

I called grad studies and was informed I've won the $20k/ year SSHRC for 3 years. :) Anyone at Queen's can call Leisa Macdonald to find out...

Good luck to everyone else waiting, and when I get my letter I'll let you know my score.

Hi All,

I emailed the U of T grad studies office about the results and received this reply:

Thank you for your email.

You will have to wait for a letter from SSHRC in regards to your results.

Has anyone else heard differently? I don't like waiting...

Hi All,

I emailed the U of T grad studies office about the results and received this reply:

Thank you for your email.

You will have to wait for a letter from SSHRC in regards to your results.

Has anyone else heard differently? I don't like waiting...

I was told to get in touch with my department this afternoon...

I just received word from my dept administrator that I have been "Recommended but not funded". Anyone know what that means exactly?!

Edited by Danswan

I called grad studies and was informed I've won the $20k/ year SSHRC for 3 years. :) Anyone at Queen's can call Leisa Macdonald to find out...

Good luck to everyone else waiting, and when I get my letter I'll let you know my score.

Another long-time lurker emerging on this potential last day of waiting to report some info: I called Leisa and she would prefer if other anxious Queen's students would email her from their queensu accounts instead of calling. She also stressed that these are "unofficial" results. Good luck all!

Anyone know who to call at mcgill?

I can say that no one in McGill Music has heard anything as of yet. I emailed the departmental grad co-ordinator, and she's still waiting for the results.

I recently emailed the general fellowships officer for the university (Ester Di Cori), but have yet to hear back from her. I imagine she's pretty busy right now.

My application is for a Master's scholarship, so who knows if those have even been announced yet.

Edited by Compoe

I called grad studies and was informed I've won the $20k/ year SSHRC for 3 years. smile.gif Anyone at Queen's can call Leisa Macdonald to find out...

Congrats, Phalene!

Just got a call from my supervisor. CGS. Entering PhD in the fall, not sure where yet, need to decide. I also need to finish this damned thesis.

Congrats, Phalene, on your win, and good luck everyone, you have all been a huge comfort while going through this terrible wait. I will post stats when they come by mail.

I just received word from my dept administrator that I have been "Recommended but not funded". Anyone know what that means exactly?!

It sounds like possibly a wait list, but maybe it is a nice way of saying "thanks but no thanks"? I expect your letter will be a bit more clear.

Kingston ----sunny, a bit of wind and slight chill in the air. Also the lilacs are half in bloom!

The rain lasted about an hour, heavy rain. Now it's sunny, 20 degrees and there's pollen all over the place. I didn't get my letter today... I was hoping for a cold beer this afternoon, but I'll keep working instead... nothing to celebrate for... yet!

Good luck to you all.

Alex

Cool, thanks! Let me know if you hear back from her.

Will do. I'm going nuts without any information, especially give that it's been over 6 months since applications were due... Close to 7 now, even. Arrrrgh.

I had the same result last year. Basically, it means you had a high quality application, but that they ran out of money before they could give you any. It goes by scores, so you probably just missed the cut. The good news is that this places you on a waiting list.

Here's the info I received last year about recommended but not funded:

"When applicants apply to a committee in the Doctoral Awards program (National competition), their applications are forwarded randomly to one of the committee's sub-groups (the number of sub-groups varies by committee and depends on the volume of applications received by the committee). Each sub-group is assigned three committee members (normally from different research backgrounds) that evaluate, score and rank all applications in their assigned sub-group. The success rate in the competition remains the same across all committees and their respective sub-groups.

Your place on the waiting list is determined by your score within your sub-group. If an award recipient in your sub-group declines their award, we will proceed through the list in rank order.

Please note, that there will be allot of movement on the recommended but not funded lists this summer. SSHRC plans to let applicants know their final decisions by August 2009.

Thank you very much for your patience with this matter and good luck in this year's competition"

Hope this helps.

Keep in mind that this means you had a very good application! It's still something to be proud of.

It feels kind of like we're a bunch of pigeons. Every time someone gets a crumb of information we get all flustered trying to find a crumb ourselves. If this is their lot in life, it must suck to be a pigeon.

I suppose that this clip would be appropriate right now, then.

I won a small SSHRC!!! Heard from my grad chair by e-mail this afternoon! I'm still dying to know what my score is, so that I know if I have any chance of getting bumped up to a CGS as people studying abroad downgrade.

i received this reply from grad studies:

You will know by tomorrow. Watch your uwo.ca e-mail.

Cheers

;)

paula

not to get too analytical about it, but how would you all interpret that emoticon? good? bad? neutral?

i received this reply from grad studies:

You will know by tomorrow. Watch your uwo.ca e-mail.

Cheers

;)

paula

not to get too analytical about it, but how would you all interpret that emoticon? good? bad? neutral?

Hate to get you worked up, but that sounds like a good sign. My Grad Assistant did that to me last year with OGS. She left a smiley at the end of her e-mail before. She later followed it up with "I can't tell you what the result is, but I'm sad that I can't be there to see your face when you log in to OGS to find out your good news".

Edited by Canuckonomist

Thanks, I'll try to talk to her.