SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

Ok also--what is this about subcommittees and categories? Category A, category C? I know there are the different pre-selection committees for the 5 areas, and selection committees for the 5 areas, but is it then broken up into multiple sections between each individual discipline--meaning, multiple economics committees? I'm just wondering how this works with the waitlist: would there just be one waitlist for all the economics subcommittee categories, or multiple waitlists?

Ok also--what is this about subcommittees and categories? Category A, category C? I know there are the different pre-selection committees for the 5 areas, and selection committees for the 5 areas, but is it then broken up into multiple sections between each individual discipline--meaning, multiple economics committees? I'm just wondering how this works with the waitlist: would there just be one waitlist for all the economics subcommittee categories, or multiple waitlists?

From what I understand, within the different categories (econ, psych/counselling/linguistics, etc.) there are smaller sub-groups. Each sub-group has 79 or 80 people. Within that subgroup, everyone receives their score, and are ranked against only the other 79ish people in their subgroup. So that's why there are different cut-off scores for CGSs and SDFs. They can only fund so many within each subgroup, so the top X are funded. Beyond that, some are wait listed, and some are not funded. People on the wait list move up if:

- People who are funded decline their award

- More funding becomes available to that particular subgroup.

I don't know that the A or C means anything. But yeah. If you're waiting to be bumped up to a CGS or off the waitlist into the funding, you're only affected by what happens in your specific subgroup. So for example, Canuckonomist is first on their wait list, and I'm 2nd on mine. But these are entirely different wait lists - it's entirely possible that 5 people on Canuckonomist's list end up getting funding, but none on mine do. Does that make sense?

Anyway, that's as best I understand it, from speaking with the officers at SSHRC. Hope it helps!

Category A = CGS (36 months of funding at $35,000 per year)

Category B = Doctoral Fellowship (1, 2, 3, or 4 years at $20,000 per year)

Category C = Your choice of A or B (since you probably put a foreign institution as your school on the application)

Hope that helps.

A bit off track, but for those who have won a SSHRC, can we call ourselves "SSHRC Doctoral Fellows" on our CV? I mean, in addition to putting "Won SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship" under "Awards" in our CV. Makes us look a bit more enticing to schools when we apply for jobs?

I dunno, I would actually advise against this. Early in our careers I think we have to avoid "fluffling" out our CVs to be honest. I would suggest it just go in your awards/fellowships section. That's my view anyhow.

I also say this because as a part of my job I spend a lot of time looking at CVs of young and established scholars alike, and I don't see them doing that.

Edited by Amuna

no mail today in midwestern US... sad.gif

Still waiting wondering how much longer it will take the mail. You think it will be this week for sure :(

It almost has been a month since we thought we would hear news...

BTW thanks for posting this because I am 3 hours from my mailbox and so I am waiting to hear from someone in the US before I make my long trip to get my mail.

I'm in the midwest too. I'll post as soon as I hear something. I'm hoping for tomorrow!

Still waiting wondering how much longer it will take the mail. You think it will be this week for sure :(

It almost has been a month since we thought we would hear news...

BTW thanks for posting this because I am 3 hours from my mailbox and so I am waiting to hear from someone in the US before I make my long trip to get my mail.

Just A quick question for those with experience; I was wondering how good my chances are about being bumped up to a 105,000 SSHRC. I was told my a SSHRC employee that "the last person offered a CGS (in your sub-group) was 3 people above you, but only one of the two between you was eligible for CGS. So, two people would have to decline the CGS to take up the SSHRC in order for you to receive a CGS offer."

My score was 19.80 and I am starting my PhD in History in September. Without getting too specific, what are the chances that I get bumped up, are there generally alot of foreign-based applicants who win the CGS, how big are sub groups. Any information about my chances would be appriciated

I'm in the midwest too. I'll post as soon as I hear something. I'm hoping for tomorrow!

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum, but I have been reviewing this forum pretty regularly. I know the guessing game for results has been on for a while, but does anyone have any news regarding MA SSHRC results. I'm in western Canada and it seems that no action takes place here. However, PhD students have received their letters in the mail. But what about us 'patient' MA's??

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum, but I have been reviewing this forum pretty regularly. I know the guessing game for results has been on for a while, but does anyone have any news regarding MA SSHRC results. I'm in western Canada and it seems that no action takes place here. However, PhD students have received their letters in the mail. But what about us 'patient' MA's??

Hi, SkimLatte. I know of three people at UWO (including myself) who have heard their results back unofficially through their departments for the Master's competition (I made an announcement here a couple of days ago), but a few other people tried contacting their institutions after that and had no luck. Official results are supposed to be announced closer to the end of the month, but it might be worth contacting someone in your program to see if they've received a list of students' results and are willing to share.

Hi, SkimLatte. I know of three people at UWO (including myself) who have heard their results back unofficially through their departments for the Master's competition (I made an announcement here a couple of days ago), but a few other people tried contacting their institutions after that and had no luck. Official results are supposed to be announced closer to the end of the month, but it might be worth contacting someone in your program to see if they've received a list of students' results and are willing to share.

Thank you. I did contact the awards committee and they told me that they have no news. Do you know who finds out first, the university or the student (via mail)? I don't think I can endure further torture until the end of the month.

No idea. I was under the impression that this year students would be finding out first via mail, as all the PhD applicants seemed to. But the department chairs at Western have gotten their hands on the information. Not sure how! I also emailed the grad program admin who's been sending out all the confirmations for other awards and she never replied, and my new advisor at my incoming institution had no info either. My department chair at my current out-going institution was the only helpful person I spoke to.

Really? I got my mail today in Minnesota and so did a friend.

I was not successful. I'm so upset.

I'm only in my first year though so I will try again.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHH

once again, no mail in minnesota :(

WAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Hi Tropes, Are you an MA or PhD student? I'm trying to figure out if the MA results are being mailed yet. I'm sorry to here that, but at least you can always apply again.

Just A quick question for those with experience; I was wondering how good my chances are about being bumped up to a 105,000 SSHRC. I was told my a SSHRC employee that "the last person offered a CGS (in your sub-group) was 3 people above you, but only one of the two between you was eligible for CGS. So, two people would have to decline the CGS to take up the SSHRC in order for you to receive a CGS offer."

My score was 19.80 and I am starting my PhD in History in September. Without getting too specific, what are the chances that I get bumped up, are there generally alot of foreign-based applicants who win the CGS, how big are sub groups. Any information about my chances would be appriciated

I'm wondering the same thing, since I just found out from a friend of mine in the exact same program as me that her CGS-winning score was only .1 higher than my SSHRC-winning score.

So I turned to the good old competition statistics spreadsheets. Last year, there were 936 winners studying in Canada, and 82 winners studying abroad, or about 8% of the total pool. There are 21 pages on the competition results for CGS, and 25 for 'small' SSHRC. I don't want to count the damned things, so let's say conservatively 40% of winners get a CGS.

Last year, history won 95 awards, 38 of which were probably CGS. Now the question is how many of those CGS awards were won by students studying abroad? 8% of 38 is two. But I'm willing to bet that people taking up awards abroad are probably winning the CGS at higher rates. Say they win at twice the normal rate, and get 4 CGS awards that they have to turn down. I think someone upthread said that each sub-group is under a hundred people (although I don't know where they're getting that from), which would mean two history sub-groups based on last year's numbers (164 forwarded), or around two foreign-held CGS per sub-group.

All of which is to say that if all of those suppositions hold, you're right on the edge. Hope my guess-work isn't making you even more nervous. Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear that. :( I also didn't get the award (I'm in Child Psych at the U of M); I'm just waiting for the letter and the tax refund that should not be too far behind (was mailed the day after)! Are you in Minneapolis? Maybe my mailman is slacking off.

I think it may be harder to win the award in your first year, especially when you are outside of the US. Maybe the want to wait and see. I got US funding but no support from "my home and native land"...? Not sure what the deal is, but don't be discouraged. I think applying in first year is difficult (I'm in first year as well) and that next year it should be easier to put something better together. :)

WAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Great disappointement today. Letter arived in Arkansas. Did not get it. 14/30 on the waiting list but there is no chance probably so I am not counting on it.

My stats : 4.0/4.0 GPA, Award for distinguished Masters Thesis, Gold medal in undergraduate school, 1 book published, 1 chapter in book and 3 articles and about 10 national and international conference presentations. Outstanding Masters' student award as well as outstanding doctoral student award.

This was my only and last chance as I graduate next year. I have one difficult financial year ahead. I worked so hard to get here and now this news hits me. It is devastating really as I put it all on the line. I guess we all get rejected one day or another.

Good luck to the rest of you! And thanks for the support within this forum.

Hi there,

That's really too bad - sounds like you've accomplished a lot that you have every reason to be proud of! I can imagine that it stings not to get it, knowing how hard you've worked, but don't take it personally! I'm not sure how true it is, but I've heard that SSHRC is a little stingy with offering awards to people who study in the US. Also, you just never know how the subcommittee will respond to your proposal. Hopefully there are other funding opportunities that you can apply for internally?

I know it's futile to suggest but try not to be too bummed about it - given what you've said about what you HAVE achieved, you have a promising future and will get the recognition you deserve sooner or later. :)

Great disappointement today. Letter arived in Arkansas. Did not get it. 14/30 on the waiting list but there is no chance probably so I am not counting on it.

My stats : 4.0/4.0 GPA, Award for distinguished Masters Thesis, Gold medal in undergraduate school, 1 book published, 1 chapter in book and 3 articles and about 10 national and international conference presentations. Outstanding Masters' student award as well as outstanding doctoral student award.

This was my only and last chance as I graduate next year. I have one difficult financial year ahead. I worked so hard to get here and now this news hits me. It is devastating really as I put it all on the line. I guess we all get rejected one day or another.

Hi there,

That's really too bad - sounds like you've accomplished a lot that you have every reason to be proud of! I can imagine that it stings not to get it, knowing how hard you've worked, but don't take it personally! I'm not sure how true it is, but I've heard that SSHRC is a little stingy with offering awards to people who study in the US. Also, you just never know how the subcommittee will respond to your proposal. Hopefully there are other funding opportunities that you can apply for internally?

I know it's futile to suggest but try not to be too bummed about it - given what you've said about what you HAVE achieved, you have a promising future and will get the recognition you deserve sooner or later. smile.gif

Hi,

Thanks for the support. While I do have many recognitions, I worked that hard just to improve my chances at a SSHRC. It is the only funding I could get being Canadian in the USA. It is too sad that I was not successful as it is so extremely difficult financially. It is too bad that I could only put my money towards 1 award and I failed. Maybe I tried too hard.

I do wish I would know what the scoring meant so I can at least understand it and perhaps I could feel better about it. I could then feel that I may have been judged on type of research rather than on my records or writing ability. I waited till my second year so I was sure about my research and that was most likely my mistake. I should have started the year before.

I am trying to look at the bright side of things but in fact not having the SSHRC also means my research will be strictly web based surveys and no case studies and so forth which I was planning to do. It will be a dissertation on a smaller scale. Perhaps if I knew in April I would have just found a job as I am ABD now.

Oh well... another punch of which I could only get stronger from I guess.

Thanks again for your kind words

Hi again....Just a note to say that I sent you a private msg on here so check your inbox. :)

Hi,

Thanks for the support. While I do have many recognitions, I worked that hard just to improve my chances at a SSHRC. It is the only funding I could get being Canadian in the USA. It is too sad that I was not successful as it is so extremely difficult financially. It is too bad that I could only put my money towards 1 award and I failed. Maybe I tried too hard.

I do wish I would know what the scoring meant so I can at least understand it and perhaps I could feel better about it. I could then feel that I may have been judged on type of research rather than on my records or writing ability. I waited till my second year so I was sure about my research and that was most likely my mistake. I should have started the year before.

I am trying to look at the bright side of things but in fact not having the SSHRC also means my research will be strictly web based surveys and no case studies and so forth which I was planning to do. It will be a dissertation on a smaller scale. Perhaps if I knew in April I would have just found a job as I am ABD now.

Oh well... another punch of which I could only get stronger from I guess.

Thanks again for your kind words

Hey Hbaert, I'm sorry to hear this. Someone on the forum was mentioning that it's a very random process and you don't know why exactly you've got low or high score......

Also, someone was saying that you can ask for details on your file through open information act (I'm fairly new to all this, but have been checking the forum since a few days). You might want to look into it and try and find out why and where you lost points.

Anyways, I say don't be too hard on yourself.

1. Funded in category A ($35k/3yrs in Canada); score: 24/30

2. Kingston

3. Letter received: May 7;

4. Economics

5. Applied through university

6. Starting 1st year PhD.

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship?? No

8. Had MA SSHRC.

1. Funded in category A ($35k/3yrs in Canada); score: 24/30

2. Kingston

3. Letter received: May 7;

4. Economics

5. Applied through university

6. Starting 1st year PhD.

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship?? No

8. Had MA SSHRC.

Whoa, Bill. You must be their Golden boy with stats like that. I'm wondering why you didn't apply to the US, but Queen's is a powerhouse nonetheless, and I miss it plenty myself.

Regardless, I'm expecting great things from you! Tell Rachel that Mike says hi, next time you're in.

Edited by Canuckonomist