SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

What Michelle St-Pierre told me, (and someone else told SpaceJump) was that, Vanier winners are in essence, offered both Vanier and SSHRC DF, and if they take one, they forfeit the other. So, she says, if a Vanier winner takes their Vanier offer, the SSHRC DF reserved for them moves down the list. I've got 2 Vanier winners in my subcommittee, and she said that should one of them take the award they were offered, then a SSHRC DF will come my way.

Yep, this is correct. I emailed SSHRC to double check this last week, and they verified that it's true. Here's exactly what I wrote to them and the verification I got:

"- 2 people in my subgroup have been granted both the Vanier Scholarship and a regular doctoral fellowship; if they accept their Vanier, they must then decline the regular doctoral fellowship. If both people with the Vanier accept their Vanier, the first two people on the waitlist (including myself) will be funded.

Correct"

1. Received 2 years of funding in category B (2 x $20,000), 24.1/30

2. Victoria, BC

3. Letter received: May 13

4. History

5. Through my university

6. Will be 3rd year in September 2010

7. Taylor, Ross, or Queen's Fellowship? No.

8. A couple of other research fellowships; Conferences (2 in province; 2 out of province; 1 USA; 1 Europe), Publications (2 book chapters, 2 articles in mid-level journals), 2 book reviews in good journals; helped with one small, non-academic conference; co-editor for a grad student journal; and a couple of community history lectures.

Recommended but not funded twice before.

Yep, this is correct. I emailed SSHRC to double check this last week, and they verified that it's true. Here's exactly what I wrote to them and the verification I got:

"- 2 people in my subgroup have been granted both the Vanier Scholarship and a regular doctoral fellowship; if they accept their Vanier, they must then decline the regular doctoral fellowship. If both people with the Vanier accept their Vanier, the first two people on the waitlist (including myself) will be funded.

Correct"

Nice to see it in writing.

EDIT: Where are my manners? Congrats Snasser! Hard-fought and well-deserved!

Edited by Canuckonomist

Quite honestly, this forum saved my sanity last year (so supportive when I was turned down) and again so wonderful now. Thanks gradcafe!

Congrats, Snasser! I remember you from last year (different handle) when I was also turned down. Now you never ever ever have to apply for one of these damn things ever again!

I emailed SSHRC about the Master's results and here's what they said:

"You could verify probably by tomorrow your Graduate Studies Office will receive a result list."

"You could verify probably by tomorrow your Graduate Studies Office will receive a result list."

Hi, please could you specify what day 'tomorrow' is. Do you mean Thursday or Friday? Thanks so much.

Did they tell you anything about the mailing process. I've been told earlier this week that the results would be mailed out this week. I wonder if they'll keep their word.

AL

Hi, I got a doctoral award and I'm wondering how everyone here knows about their sub committees - how did you go about finding how many people in your group got funding and what your chances of getting bumped up are?

Thanks!

Hi, I got a doctoral award and I'm wondering how everyone here knows about their sub committees - how did you go about finding how many people in your group got funding and what your chances of getting bumped up are?

Thanks!

I think you've misread some of the posts. I don't believe anyone knows where they are on the list of winners. Those stats were for those who were on the "recommended but not funded" and are waiting to win an award. They gave that info to us waitlisters freely.

I think you've misread some of the posts. I don't believe anyone knows where they are on the list of winners. Those stats were for those who were on the "recommended but not funded" and are waiting to win an award. They gave that info to us waitlisters freely.

snapback.pnghellas93, on 13 May 2010 - 09:30 AM, said:

Just A quick question for those with experience; I was wondering how good my chances are about being bumped up to a 105,000 SSHRC. I was told my a SSHRC employee that "the last person offered a CGS (in your sub-group) was 3 people above you, but only one of the two between you was eligible for CGS. So, two people would have to decline the CGS to take up the SSHRC in order for you to receive a CGS offer."

My score was 19.80 and I am starting my PhD in History in September. Without getting too specific, what are the chances that I get bumped up, are there generally alot of foreign-based applicants who win the CGS, how big are sub groups. Any information about my chances would be appriciated

Just A quick question for those with experience; I was wondering how good my chances are about being bumped up to a 105,000 SSHRC. I was told my a SSHRC employee that "the last person offered a CGS (in your sub-group) was 3 people above you, but only one of the two between you was eligible for CGS. So, two people would have to decline the CGS to take up the SSHRC in order for you to receive a CGS offer."

My score was 19.80 and I am starting my PhD in History in September. Without getting too specific, what are the chances that I get bumped up, are there generally alot of foreign-based applicants who win the CGS, how big are sub groups. Any information about my chances would be appriciated

I have been trying to find this out for myself (I have been awarded a small SSHRC for three years with a score of 21.1/30) for the past two weeks, unfortunatly, the SSHRC officer I landed on told me she couldn't give me this info. However, she did tell me that there are 3 Vaniers in my sub-group (who were also awarded a big SSHRC). Good luck to you ;)!

I stand happily corrected.

Hi All,

This morning I checked with the office of graduate studies at my school and they don't have any results from SSHRC. They also tried checking SSHRC's secure website, and still no news.

Edited by UGecon

Hi All,

This morning I checked with the office of graduate studies at my school and they don't have any results from SSHRC. They also tried checking SSHRC's secure website, and still no news.

Been checking out this thread for a while... but this is getting a bit ridiculous! how do they expect us to apply for the Michael Smith Travel Supplement in less than two weeks of finding out (that is if I get it.... gaaah)?

Been checking out this thread for a while... but this is getting a bit ridiculous! how do they expect us to apply for the Michael Smith Travel Supplement in less than two weeks of finding out (that is if I get it.... gaaah)?

I agree, this is ridiculous! Everyday I think today is the day and it never is. I've never been one for patience but I just need a yes or a no from SSHRC. Any further predictions anyone on WHEN we will find out??

I agree, this is ridiculous! Everyday I think today is the day and it never is. I've never been one for patience but I just need a yes or a no from SSHRC. Any further predictions anyone on WHEN we will find out??

I feel bad for you cats, but the consistent information from SSHRC has been end of the month, which is a week away, so if they were indeed mailed today, they'll be out by when SSHRC has consistently said. Wait, hold on, and you'll get your response. I'm hoping for the best for all of you, and that the answers come soon.

Canuck

Edited by Canuckonomist

Hi all, I got an email from SSHRC today informing me that the results were indeed mailed out yesterday (May 20) so we should all know by next week. :)

Thanks! Good to know! I was toying with the idea of e-mailing them myself.

I'm a Westcoaster so it'll be late next week by the post if my grad dept doesn't tell me beforehand :S

I just got an answer from SSHRC.

"Les résultats ont été postés le 20 mai. Vous pouvez vérifier avec votre département d'études supérieures plus tard cette après midi il vont probablement avoir reçu la liste de résultats."

Translation : Results were posted May 20th (yesterday). [As of the availability of results at our university] You can verify with your department of grad studies this afternoon, they'll probably have received the result's list.

We received our e-mail almost at the same time !

Here we have it. I'll keep you informed about my result. I'm in communication at Université de Montréal.

Ciao.

AL

Oh nooooooo, my department co-ordinator is away today.

I know I'm being picky, and that ANY results are better than none, but to release the results just before a long weekend, when a lot of the people who can disseminate the information are taking a day off, is sort of bad timing on their part. Now it'll be Tuesday before we get even a hint of the results... blugh...

Oh nooooooo, my department co-ordinator is away today.

I know I'm being picky, and that ANY results are better than none, but to release the results just before a long weekend, when a lot of the people who can disseminate the information are taking a day off, is sort of bad timing on their part. Now it'll be Tuesday before we get even a hint of the results... blugh...

Just got the auto-reply back from mine as well saying 'away for the long weekend'. it's a conspiracy. well, might as well drown away the sorrows ahead of time.