SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

I spoke to my grad scholarship officer last Thursday. She told me that I'd be getting my monthly allocation for May and June in one cheque, since I asked the funding to start in May. Unfortunately, she also told me that I won't be getting that cheque until around mid-June. I'm guessing it's because forms need to be sent to SSHRC , which then need to be processed, etc.

Does anyone know if for the J.A. Bombardier MA SSHRC when the payments start? The notice of award did say payments start in MAY 1, 2010 for 12 months, but obviously that has passed. Will we get May's portion in June, or is May's payment skipped? Any clue on the mechanics of this award?

At UVic, fellowship payments come the first of each month. You can only receive SSHRC funds towards the degree for which it has been awarded.

At UVic, I think we're getting bi-weekly payments. The SSHRC website says that it might be different for each university, according to their protocol.

I think it is possible to use your remaining money toward your PhD. It might depend on where you want to go though. The website has a lengthy write-up about regulations around your funding (the link should take you directly to those regulations). I think it has what you need to know about transferring the money over to another degree.

For those of you waiting for PhD SSHRC wait list movement, I just got an e-mail upgrading me to a CGS! Hopefully there will be more good news around here soon!

AAHHHHHHHHH I'm so so so so happy!!! Michael Smith travel funding here I come!

Congrats on the upgrade!

Were you told your place on the waitlist and such. I waas really close to a CGS (only 2 people needed to decline it) and I am hoping that they did haha. How close were you?

Congrats on the upgrade!

Were you told your place on the waitlist and such. I waas really close to a CGS (only 2 people needed to decline it) and I am hoping that they did haha. How close were you?

I didn't ask where I was on the waitlist. Figure those poor SSHRC workers have enough to worry about. But I did know I was likely close, since my friend who's in the same program and sub-field as me won a big SSHRC with a score that was .1 higher than mine. For the record, I'm in English, will take up the award for year 2, and had a score of 19.3.

For those of you waiting for PhD SSHRC wait list movement, I just got an e-mail upgrading me to a CGS! Hopefully there will be more good news around here soon!

Congrats! My score was lower so I doubt I'll get an upgrade, but it's nice to see that they're being very quick about this!

Great to know that waitlist is moving, so perhaps others in line for a CGS will get them soon. Also nice to know they're moving by e-mail. I'm not sure what this says about regular SSHRCs, but I hope to see one soon.

Congrats Mudlark, life is good!

EDIT: Given that that happened almost 3 1/2 hours ago, and since they'll probably hang 'em up for the weekend in about an hour, I figure the rest of us are waiting on monday.

Edited by Canuckonomist

Congratulation, mudlark! excellent news!

Thanks everyone!

Great to know that waitlist is moving, so perhaps others in line for a CGS will get them soon. Also nice to know they're moving by e-mail. I'm not sure what this says about regular SSHRCs, but I hope to see one soon.

Congrats Mudlark, life is good!

EDIT: Given that that happened almost 3 1/2 hours ago, and since they'll probably hang 'em up for the weekend in about an hour, I figure the rest of us are waiting on monday.

Canuckonomist, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of variability about when people get the news. It all depends on how quickly people get back to SSHRC to turn down awards. I'm sure there are some people out there who will take some time making that decision, and some who know right away. I'm totally pulling for you, though! After the initial squealing and jumping up and down wore off, one of my first thoughts was "I wonder if canuckonomist got bumped as well..." :P I spend too much time online.

Thanks, Mudlark. I figure there will be variability, but don't people get until June 1st to make their initial decision? I thought the deadline was only something like a month. Anyhow, I figure mid June for me anyway, so I'm not too anxious. It's nice to see some movement for you, though!

Thanks for correcting me, Snasser.

I found out that the payments were monthly once I spoke to one of the scholarship officers about it, but forgot that I had posted a comment about getting bi-weekly payments. No idea why I thought that!

At UVic, fellowship payments come the first of each month. You can only receive SSHRC funds towards the degree for which it has been awarded.

I'm posting this because I see both SpaceJump and I online at this very moment, hoping that we'll hear something form someone. Wishin', and hopin' we'll get bumped today.

Edited by Canuckonomist

I'm posting this because I see both SpaceJump and I online at this very moment, hoping that we'll hear something form someone. Wishin', and hopin' we'll get bumped today.

Heh, forgot that people can see if I'm online... yep, that's exactly what I'm up to. So far nothing, but you can be sure if I hear anything at all, I'll post! Best of luck Canuckonomist (and everyone)!

Hi guys,

I have a question for those holding the doctoral award overseas. Is the payment made to you (the student) or to school? I'm curious whether it'll be additional 20K in my pocket or it goes to school and merely replaces the tuition support portion of my fellowship at my school. Thanks for the help.

Look at the award's holders guide, as well as in the activation form. The cheque is sent to you directly; nothing goes through the school. What you need however is a signature from your graduate coordinator (or someone at your department) attesting that you are a full-time PhD student in their program; this will, indirectly, let them know you hold this award.

Sooo... it doesn't go through the school since it's paid directly to you, but they will know about it at your school since they have to sign the activation form. Also, I guess it would be somewhat unethical not telling them, but I guess that if this was a factor you would have told them about this anywayz.

Hi guys,

I have a question for those holding the doctoral award overseas. Is the payment made to you (the student) or to school? I'm curious whether it'll be additional 20K in my pocket or it goes to school and merely replaces the tuition support portion of my fellowship at my school. Thanks for the help.

You should check with your school regardless, to see if winning the SSHRC changes the level of internal support you get from them. Most schools in Canada cut your internal funding when you win SSHRC, but I'm sure it varies widely from school to school, especially overseas.

When I saw the thread bumped, I was hoping someone had good news about waitlist movement! Anyone? Still waiting?

When I saw the thread bumped, I was hoping someone had good news about waitlist movement! Anyone? Still waiting?

I emailed last week to see if I had moved up on the waitlist. I was told that they can't release this info until they have processed all first round acceptances/refusals. I guess I'll try back at the beginning of July.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

I emailed last week to see if I had moved up on the waitlist. I was told that they can't release this info until they have processed all first round acceptances/refusals. I guess I'll try back at the beginning of July.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Thank you for posting this info! I think this is reassuring - I guess no news is good news for now. Did they give July as an approximate time frame?

Best of luck to you too!

Thank you for posting this info! I think this is reassuring - I guess no news is good news for now. Did they give July as an approximate time frame?

Best of luck to you too!

Nope, July was just my best guess. I feel bad bothering them all the time, so I try to space out my phone calls/emails. :)

I was going through the 2010-2011 doctoral scholarship results (http://www.sshrc.ca/results-resultats/stats-statistiques/docs_2010.xls), and there are a couple of weird things.

There was this big hype on "business related topics". If we compare the number of scholarships attributed to the econ & co committee in 2010-2011 (140) to the number of scholarships attributed to a similar committtee (formerly known as public and private policy studies) in 2008-2009 (153), there are actually fewer scholarships going to that committee. Obviously, there was a lot of effort to sale the "business related topics" category by saying that it would be interpreted widely, but the bulk of these scholarships should have gone to the econ & co committee. Yet, there are 13 scholarships fewer than before the money was announced. So much for the excitement...

The 13 "missing" scholarships are actually missing in all committees. While there were 1 018 scholarships awarded last year and 1 105 for 2008-2009, there are only 930 for 2010-2011. That's about a 15 percent decrease from 08-09, while at the same time there was more money invested through the "business related topics" initiative. It could be that there would have been more 1st year students awarded scholarships this year, but the distribution is pretty much the same across the 3 years. Actually, there were more 1st year students in 08-09 than in 10-11. Are more CGS awarded? It would have to be a major shift to explain the difference, because 4 CGSs are about the equivalent to 5 SSHRCs at least for 1st year students? The final possibility is that there could be less budget given to PhD scholarships.

There is a part in me saying that at, the end of the day, there will be as many scholarship this year, it's just that SSHRC is slow in sending the cash. Based on last year, there would be at least 88 letters (not counting the refusals) to be sent, which means about 15 in the econ&co committee, which means I'm in! That will keep me waiting for another week.

Any thoughts on this?

I was going through the 2010-2011 doctoral scholarship results (http://www.sshrc.ca/results-resultats/stats-statistiques/docs_2010.xls), and there are a couple of weird things.

There was this big hype on "business related topics". If we compare the number of scholarships attributed to the econ & co committee in 2010-2011 (140) to the number of scholarships attributed to a similar committtee (formerly known as public and private policy studies) in 2008-2009 (153), there are actually fewer scholarships going to that committee. Obviously, there was a lot of effort to sale the "business related topics" category by saying that it would be interpreted widely, but the bulk of these scholarships should have gone to the econ & co committee. Yet, there are 13 scholarships fewer than before the money was announced. So much for the excitement...

The 13 "missing" scholarships are actually missing in all committees. While there were 1 018 scholarships awarded last year and 1 105 for 2008-2009, there are only 930 for 2010-2011. That's about a 15 percent decrease from 08-09, while at the same time there was more money invested through the "business related topics" initiative. It could be that there would have been more 1st year students awarded scholarships this year, but the distribution is pretty much the same across the 3 years. Actually, there were more 1st year students in 08-09 than in 10-11. Are more CGS awarded? It would have to be a major shift to explain the difference, because 4 CGSs are about the equivalent to 5 SSHRCs at least for 1st year students? The final possibility is that there could be less budget given to PhD scholarships.

There is a part in me saying that at, the end of the day, there will be as many scholarship this year, it's just that SSHRC is slow in sending the cash. Based on last year, there would be at least 88 letters (not counting the refusals) to be sent, which means about 15 in the econ&co committee, which means I'm in! That will keep me waiting for another week.

Any thoughts on this?

I have no idea, but I appreciate and will cling to your hope :)

I was going through the 2010-2011 doctoral scholarship results (http://www.sshrc.ca/...s/docs_2010.xls), and there are a couple of weird things.

Any thoughts on this?

I think we all appreciate your optimism. It's good to still believe that you've got a shot, but remember not to hang your future on it. Some would say I've already got one, but I'm not willing to believe it until I see it. Treat your situation as a lottery ticket that you didn't have to pay for, and don't be too disappointed if things don't end up in the green. The last thing you want is to fall victim to a version of the Machina Paradox (something that might happen to me, for different reasons).

I was going through the 2010-2011 doctoral scholarship results (http://www.sshrc.ca/...s/docs_2010.xls), and there are a couple of weird things.

Any thoughts on this?

Given a choice between the explanation being that 88 awards have been mysteriously delayed for unclear reasons, and the explanation being that 88 fewer awards are being given out because the economy is shit, I'd go with the simpler explanation. I think there are just fewer awards. "Missing" awards are only "missing" if you assume that SSHRC gives out a constant number of awards every year, and I don't think that's a valid premise.

Given a choice between the explanation being that 88 awards have been mysteriously delayed for unclear reasons, and the explanation being that 88 fewer awards are being given out because the economy is shit, I'd go with the simpler explanation. I think there are just fewer awards. "Missing" awards are only "missing" if you assume that SSHRC gives out a constant number of awards every year, and I don't think that's a valid premise.

Your degree of bluntness is almost a turn on. Didn't have the heart to be nearly as forward.

Still though, as in previous years, sometimes more funding becomes available, and so more awards are declared later. I doubt, however, that it will be 88. I think more than one per committee might even be a stretch.

Edited by Canuckonomist