SSHRC 2010

Hypatia

I've sent an email to SSHRC asking where I am on 'the list' (in terms of getting bumped from the B to A level award). I'm probably not even remotely close, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask, lol!

Just received a reply: I'm number 1 on the waitlist for a CGS! In a way I wish I didn't know this, because there's no guarantee that anyone will give up their award... *flails* (and to think I thought the flailing due to SSHRC was over!)

And holy cow, my subgroup must have been evaluated very strictly - my score is 18.1 (note above student4life's score of 21+).

Congrats to those who were bumped up to a CGS! Did you all find out via snail mail?

For those of us on a waitlist to get the regular fellowships, I'm guessing they do the bump-ups to CGS first, and then will work on moving the regular waitlisters up...

Just received a reply: I'm number 1 on the waitlist for a CGS! In a way I wish I didn't know this, because there's no guarantee that anyone will give up their award... *flails* (and to think I thought the flailing due to SSHRC was over!)

And holy cow, my subgroup must have been evaluated very strictly - my score is 18.1 (note above student4life's score of 21+).

That's awesome, Phalene! Even if nothing monetary comes of it, you know that you impressed the socks off your committee. I hope the big money comes through for you.

That's awesome, Phalene! Even if nothing monetary comes of it, you know that you impressed the socks off your committee. I hope the big money comes through for you.

Thank you! I am going to be a nervous wreck for the rest of the summer, lol. We could really use the money, as our condo just got hit with a $1 million special assessment (which works out to about $15k per unit). I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

I will say that it's nice to know I didn't just squeak by to win the SSHRC Doctoral... it was a bit of a mindf*ck for my score to be so much lower than most of the other successful applicants on this forum.

Edited by Phalène

Talked to Michelle St-Pierre yesterday, and she said that there has been no 'official' movement on the waitlists yet (I think she meant regular waitlists) because after the accept/decline deadline in June, there is a secret deadline of July 7th where they take until then to call winners to find out why they haven't replied yet. Then there are still a couple days past that deadline where they keep trying. There are a few people still unaccounted for. She said that movement should start in the next two weeks, and if I haven't heard anything in a few weeks to e-mail/call her again. By the sounds of it, the 'second rounders' so to speak, might be released as early as next week, or as late as end of July. Still, that's not that long of a wait, either way.  

Best,  

Canuck  

P.S: Sure, ChanEcon, I can agree to that. You wouldn't happen to be attending UToronto next year, would you? There is a Mr. Chan listed in the first year class for the coming september, and I was wondering if that was you.

Edited by Canuckonomist

Wishing good things for you, Canuck! And thanks for the info!

I think I'll call August 2nd if I haven't heard anything.

Edited by Phalène

Talked to Michelle St-Pierre yesterday, and she said that there has been no 'official' movement on the waitlists yet (I think she meant regular waitlists) because after the accept/decline deadline in June, there is a secret deadline of July 7th where they take until then to call winners to find out why they haven't replied yet. Then there are still a couple days past that deadline where they keep trying. There are a few people still unaccounted for. She said that movement should start in the next two weeks, and if I haven't heard anything in a few weeks to e-mail/call her again. By the sounds of it, the 'second rounders' so to speak, might be released as early as next week, or as late as end of July. Still, that's not that long of a wait, either way.

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Canuck

P.S: Sure, ChanEcon, I can agree to that. You wouldn't happen to be attending UToronto next year, would you? There is a Mr. Chan listed in the first year class for the coming september, and I was wondering if that was you.

Thanks for the info. It's always nice to hear from Michelle St-Pierre. I am looking forward to the meaning of "few". Three would be few enough ;)

By the way, I'm not Mr. Chan going to UofT. In September, I will be starting at your alma mater.

@Phalene: August 2nd is a holiday in Ontario. It's civic public holiday. There won't be anybody at SSHRC to answer your call.

Queen's is always a good choice. I miss the department quite a bit -they're great people. I'm sure you'll have a good time there, and learn plenty. Also, their graduate assistant is the most amazing person in the world. Be good to her, and she'll be good to you.

Edited by Canuckonomist

@ChadEcon Oops! End of July, then, as I'm spending the first two weeks of August in beautiful Prince Edward Island. :) Good news would be a lovely way to begin my vacation...

Okay, here's a really random question that's been bothering me: why would a Vanier winner be offered a SDF instead of a CGS? I know that those who did not win a Vanier were offered a CGS, so wouldn't it make sense that it Vanier winners were going to be offered something else, that it would be a CGS? This would potentially explain why Mudlark has already been bumped and Canuck hasn't.

On that note, any news?

Okay, here's a really random question that's been bothering me: why would a Vanier winner be offered a SDF instead of a CGS? I know that those who did not win a Vanier were offered a CGS, so wouldn't it make sense that it Vanier winners were going to be offered something else, that it would be a CGS? This would potentially explain why Mudlark has already been bumped and Canuck hasn't.

On that note, any news?

I THINK it's because the only reason someone would turn down a Vanier is because they're studying abroad - which would make them ineligible for the CGS anyway. But that's just my theory - I could be dead wrong.

And no news from my end - I've basically heard only what's already been said in the last page or so! Here's hoping for some "official movement" soon!

This was my thought, too. The difference between Vanier and CGS looks like it's just the amount of the award. SSHRC DF can be held aboard, so that's the reason they'd turn down a Vanier.

Edited by Canuckonomist

I agree with everybody, the only reason for declining a Vanier CGS is studying abroad.

However, I think the odds of somebody getting a Vanier and studying abroad is very slim, because the university nominates the candidate, and universities have a quota of Vanier candidates (University of PEI doesn't have any for SSHRC, but they have one for NSERC ;). I think a student really has to committ to a university to get Vanier support. Refusing a Vanier is not impossible, but it would be a rare event.

I would so love to play around in the offer/refusal/acceptance matrix of SSHRC...

Back to waiting...

Edited by ChanEcon

I agree with everybody, the only reason for declining a Vanier CGS is studying abroad.

However, I think the odds of somebody getting a Vanier and studying abroad is very slim, because the university nominates the candidate, and universities have a quota of Vanier candidates (University of PEI doesn't have any for SSHRC, but they have one for NSERC ;). I think a student really has to committ to a university to get Vanier support. Refusing a Vanier is not impossible, but it would be a rare event.

I would so love to play around in the offer/refusal/acceptance matrix of SSHRC...

Back to waiting...

I really, really, REALLY hope you're right about those odds. :)

Michelle St-Pierre is now out of the office until July 26th. The wait just got a little bit longer.

And then she'll spend the first days answering the xillions of emails she received in the previous ten days, and then, it will be civic holiday... No news until mid-August...

On this note, a nice weekend to everybody!

ps: According to last year's thread, lots of people were bumped up from NOTHING to CGS... But there weren't any reports of people going from the regular waitlist to a regular SSHRC. Does this mean that only those who qualify for CGS have hope of being bumped up? (i.e. those of us NOT in first-year PhD)

thoughts?

ps: According to last year's thread, lots of people were bumped up from NOTHING to CGS... But there weren't any reports of people going from the regular waitlist to a regular SSHRC. Does this mean that only those who qualify for CGS have hope of being bumped up? (i.e. those of us NOT in first-year PhD)

thoughts?

I think this may have been people who were waitlisted in the regular competition, and then were later awarded the special business SSHRCs. That's what happened to me, at least.

Edited by dramanda

I think this may have been people who were waitlisted in the regular competition, and then were later awarded the special business SSHRCs. That's what happened to me, at least.

?

so, people like me who can't even think of how to market their project as at all related to business... I guess we have very little chance

?

so, people like me who can't even think of how to market their project as at all related to business... I guess we have very little chance

Not at all. The business SSHRC funding was a one-time thing last year. Someone posted some links about this earlier.

(And for the sake of argument, my project was about learning disabilities in young children and somehow got funded through this initiative)