Is it worth checking the online application status?

JerryLandis

Just wondering if I should bother checking my online applications to see if the status changes. So far I haven't been doing that (looking up all the PIN stuff and passwords is too much of a pain), but I was wondering if universities ever notify people a bit after they may have changed the person's online status. Is there a noticeable difference to the webpage when they do make a decision? As it is with most of my applications now, I scroll down and see "Application Status: Submitted" - So when I am accepted/waitlisted/rejected, will it say something about it down there? I wish I knew what to expect - phone call, letter, email, whatever - there are too many possibilities!

Yes, it's how I figured out I was rejected from UT-Austin when I applied.

But don't freak out if the status changes to "Application forwarded to Graduate School" or something similar. Often even if you are accepted by the department, you may be rejected by the graduate school or vice versa. It depends on the procedure of the University.

Note: it is very rare to be rejected by the graduate school when accepted by the department. The department usually knows when a student's application would be rejected, and may have to write letters to the grad school in support of an applicant. I.e. when you have a GRE less than 1000 and GPA less than 3.0

I do check them, mainly because I'd noticed several results postings that mentioned specifically that the application status had changed and they hadn't received other notification. And I only have two schools, so it's an easy thing to obsess about. :)

I've been checking them, mainly because of not having anything better to do. Better than checking my email 10,000 times a day.

Only thing I've seen is that two of them have updated to say that my application was forwarded to the department (why didn't the department already have them?)

I've been checking them, mainly because of not having anything better to do. Better than checking my email 10,000 times a day.

Only thing I've seen is that two of them have updated to say that my application was forwarded to the department (why didn't the department already have them?)

exactly thousands times.

at first it was interesting, then painful. now I just do it without any reason. probably it's just another thing like breathing.

The way I received my first rejection was by checking my status on applyyourself...I never got an email notifying me of my change in status. (I did, however, get something in the mail a few days later. Great. Thanks for letting me know twice.) So every time I log on, I feel a little antsy, because if the decision is available and I haven't gotten an email, the answer probably isn't a good one.

I think it's good to check just to make sure that it doesn't say they're missing any materials, but it's so easy to get obsessive about. I had to stop myself because even if I did know a few hours earlier or so, I'd still be refreshing my email all night looking for something to verify the website.

One of my apps is at an Embark school with the "status update" disabled. This school states on its website that all applicants will be notified about their file status by January 18th. Heard nothing, e-mailed and got no reply.

Three of my schools are Apply Yourself, but I can't see where one would look to find any status update

One of my apps is at a school that updates it's website and I check that one.

Probably not helpful, but I'm a little frustrated with the communication vacuum. I start to wonder if this is a bellweather of how people are treated by these institutions.

I had a couple last year where my status never changed. I received my information through the mail for one, and never heard from the other. So, it is possible for them to never update the status, and simply to receive something through mail/email/phone. Some schools are a little bit more reliable on updating their website. Maybe check in the results search for the schools/programs that you are applying to, and see how those people heard (maybe you've already done this?)

I check compulsively, but that's just how I am.

I've been admitted to one school via email and the status never changed on the application. I still haven't received anything in the mail yet, but I've talked with two professors and will be attending a visitation day next week. I was told I'll find out about funding then, so hopefully I'll get something in writing saying I was officially admitted (so then I can officially resign!).

It seems that in past years most applicants to my schools have been admitted via phone call or email. I don't know why I'm checking the apps, but I figured if there's a slight chance it will end my compulsion a little earlier, then I'll keep it up. Yes, I know this is actually just feeding the compulsion...

The way I received my first rejection was by checking my status on applyyourself...I never got an email notifying me of my change in status. (I did, however, get something in the mail a few days later. Great. Thanks for letting me know twice.) So every time I log on, I feel a little antsy, because if the decision is available and I haven't gotten an email, the answer probably isn't a good one.

Where did you see the status change on applyyourself?

It varies by school. I have heard of people being rejected through the online application without ever receiving any other kind of notification, though it doesn't seem too common. I'll second alexis in saying that if a decision is available online and you haven't heard anything else, it probably isn't good news.

Where did you see the status change on applyyourself?

When I logged in, where it gives you the summary, and says "submitted," below that the word "Decision" appeared in bold. However, it took a few hours (appeared at midnight) until a link was posted at the bottom of the page, where you could actually click and see the decision. It was all on the main page; I didn't have to go and click "check your application" or anything.

Yes! I found out of my acceptance to the University of Minnesota today only through the online application status. I haven't received any mail yet, electronic or snail, regarding the decision. There was no mention of funding, so I don't know if that means I didn't get any or if it will come from the department in a separate notice rather than the application status from the Graduate School.

Do the programs have any idea how often we compulsively check the application status page? Do they care?

They have a counter that keeps track of how many times you visit your status page. When it becomes decision time they take the top 10 with the highest count and decide on who they will be admitting. Another school rejects those who have over a certain number of status page checks. What makes this fun is that you don't know if the school you're checking either favors status checks or not. :P

They have a counter that keeps track of how many times you visit your status page. When it becomes decision time they take the top 10 with the highest count and decide on who they will be admitting. Another school rejects those who have over a certain number of status page checks. What makes this fun is that you don't know if the school you're checking either favors status checks or not. :P

HA!! Hooray for humor, I never realized how much of my time on this forum is spent with a tensely furrowed brow until I laughed just now. Felt good.

haha. <rant> i hate some of the app pages so much that i refuse to check them. it's like, listen admissions people, the ease with which potential applicants navigate your website matters! don't just hire the cheapest bidder to design your website. don't you want your acceptance rate to be low?? on some schools' sites it takes like 6 clicks to find the online application. this is bad web design! </rant>

haha. <rant> i hate some of the app pages so much that i refuse to check them. it's like, listen admissions people, the ease with which potential applicants navigate your website matters! don't just hire the cheapest bidder to design your website. don't you want your acceptance rate to be low?? on some schools' sites it takes like 6 clicks to find the online application. this is bad web design! </rant>

Ahem! Berkeley...