Is it worth checking the online application status?

JerryLandis

Actually, job applications are much better. If they aren't interested in you, you never hear from them again. They are only interested if they contact you. And if a batch of job applications don't pan out one week, you send out more next week. You don't pay employers to apply for a job, and you are not stuck in limbo for a year if there are a flood of applicants and you get rejected. And if you don't like your job, you only keep it until you find another. There's a lot less at stake with a job application.

Job applications are a lot less nerve wracking than PhD applications.

I agree with you, Hermes. I think the thing that freaks me out the most about this whole process is having to wait a WHOLE YEAR before being able to apply again. That is a long time (when you consider how long the next month feels right now). I don't know if my brain/body can take all the anticipation/stress! Whenever I have applied for jobs it is much less stressful for me.

So I just went to the website for one of my applications and I was denied. I'm 1-1-0 now. Even though it wasn't a school I really wanted to get into, a rejection still feels bad.

Edited by joro

Speaking of job applications. I applied for a job in 2008 and finally received a rejection email last week. :lol:

That's hilarious.

I am sorry to hear about the recent school rejection. At least you have an acceptance and a few more options on the way :)

Edited by parapluie

Actually, job applications are much better. If they aren't interested in you, you never hear from them again. They are only interested if they contact you. And if a batch of job applications don't pan out one week, you send out more next week. You don't pay employers to apply for a job, and you are not stuck in limbo for a year if there are a flood of applicants and you get rejected. And if you don't like your job, you only keep it until you find another. There's a lot less at stake with a job application.

Job applications are a lot less nerve wracking than PhD applications.

I second that. Job applications are way less stressful. This whole PhD application thing is turning me into a mess :blink: I jump every time I see a new email in the inbox. And would check my email every 30minutes :P Don't remember doing that when I was applying for a job

• 2 weeks later...

The college where I applied to also uses Apply Yourself. It is worth checking and this is where my all the admission decisions are posted by my prospective college. I know this because a friend told me that he got admitted last week to the same program and college that I applied to and that his decision was posted on the Apply Yourself site.

My status recently changed on 2-25-2010 from, "Submitted", to "Complete and under Review". It also showed the dates when my 3 LOR's, 9 transcripts, personal statement and resume were received.

I just checked my status again and noticed that there was no decision link anywhere. Glad to hear about this since my friend had did not mention this. Will now be looking for this new link daily.

One of my schools had an online application status available on Apply Yourself. It was helpful for me to check it because when I saw the status change from "Application Under Review" to "Application Complete", I knew the decision had to be soon. Sure enough, when I was checking it the next day, I found out I was accepted a couple hours before I got an e-mail.

Edited by Jae B.

Got my rejection from Kellogg via the admissions system when I went to check. Never got an email, so I guess it is important to check. My final four still do not have anything posted on their admissions systems though, so I am seriously wondering...