Burnt Out

SG_SC

At this point I am so frustrated with my thesis that even if I were to be accepted into a PhD program I would not go.  I'm so burnt out on theology that I don't think I can handle another 5-6 years of it.  Please advise. 

What's wrong? What are the main issues you're experiencing? Think of all the scientists in the world who spend decades of studying only to find their results mean nothing. Sometimes finding nothing helps you look in different places for better understanding. Don't give up! If you truly don't feel passionate, maybe take some time off and approach it again?

2 hours ago, SG_SC said:

At this point I am so frustrated with my thesis that even if I were to be accepted into a PhD program I would not go.  I'm so burnt out on theology that I don't think I can handle another 5-6 years of it.  Please advise. 

Balance, my friend; that looks different for everyone. At least for me, none of my close (actual) friends study what I do. I also live with other grad students in various other fields. It's rare that I talk 'shop' with my friends/roommates. 

Sorry to hear that. I second what sacklunch said. It is important to carve out spaces in your life a bit distanced from your work. But at the same time, there's nothing wrong with choosing another path.

These are in no order of importance or sequence, except for the last one. It should come last. 

First thing, take the weekend off. This coming weekend you are not allowed to do any research, write anything, or think about your thesis. Do something you enjoy. Binge read a book for fun (and I mean for fun. Nothing related remotely to your topic or field), go for a hike, explore a city within driving distance, just leave your thesis and go do something.  Do something non-thesis writing you would do. 

And related, hang out with friends. Don't talk shop. Just hang out and laugh and laugh and laugh. 

Second, talk with a trusted advisor. It doesn't have to be anyone in your field. Almost all researchers have felt what you are feeling. Just talking with someone who has gone through the dark night of the researcher's soul helps. 

Third, talk to a counselor. Burnout is very common. Counseling can help. 

Fourth, get enough sleep (if you are not doing so already). 

Fifth, eat well. Tone down the caffeine. 

Sixth, go exercise. 

Seventh, if you have done all of the above and whatever your trusted advisor and/or counselor has suggested be real with yourself. Take a year off. Figure out if a PhD is the right path. It is not for everyone. And that's OK. It may not be the right time, the right subject, the right research question. 

I'm taking a year off to work right now. It is the best thing I could have done. I'm learning a new set of (embodied) skills in a different field, caring for my health, saving money, and feeling very refreshed going into the PhD. I even got an extra publication and review out there without feeling overwhelmed or strained. The hardest part is convincing yourself that you haven't "failed."