Jump to content

Dartmouth vs Duke MEM


hexaninja

Recommended Posts

 

DUKE

Dartmouth

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pros

Lesser tuition

Reputation (one of the Ivy leagues)

Opportunities for funding in-terms of RA ship, TA ship and Resident Assistantship

20% tuition waiver, TA positions available

Program is very flexible. All Technical electives can be chosen from any engineering department or can be replaced by business electives

Low batch size (50), better faculty to student ratio

Medium cost of living

Excellent Industry and Alumni networks

High campus activity. Lots of events all around the year in the department as well as the campus.

Cultural diversity and high selectivity

Excellent industry and Alumni networks

More courses needed to complete the degree ensuring more exposure

Very well-known and recognised brand label. Also excellent facilities for startups and proximity to RTP area, a high density of companies

Proximity to Boston and New York, excellent employment opportunities

   

 

 

 

Cons

Huge Asian population each year, skewing the diversity of the student body

More tuition and High cost of living

Huge Batch size (>100) implying a poor faculty to student ratio

Location is in the middle of nowhere. All restaurants, clubs stores are miles away.

Curriculum does not seem to be as intensive

The degree is only 1year, though can be extended to 1.5 years

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations on these excellent admits.

Now getting to your question, it depends on your goals. If you want more exposure to management, duke(fuqua) seems to be more logical. I had applied to both these programs too. And if given the choice, I would have opted for Dartmouth for the following reasons:

1)Excellent placement record

2)Close-knit community owing to its small class size

3)The faculty, especially Mr. Ross Gortner, takes a lot of pains to ensure that everyone gets an internship and a job offer in their area of interest.

To add to all this, you have a scholarship(yes it isn't 40%, but it is still good enough). You'll even get the "IVY" tag, if that matters to you at all. Dartmouth's alumni network is very extensive and extremely helpful. I have gotten very positive and encouraging response from my interaction with their current and past students who've been very helpful. Go with your heart. I don't think you'll regret joining either of these programs. 

Wishing you all the best!

Edited by kenstar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, hexaninja said:
 

DUKE

 

Dartmouth

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Pros

 

Lesser tuition

 

Reputation (one of the Ivy leagues)

 

Opportunities for funding in-terms of RA ship, TA ship and Resident Assistantship

 

20% tuition waiver, TA positions available

 

Program is very flexible. All Technical electives can be chosen from any engineering department or can be replaced by business electives

 

Low batch size (50), better faculty to student ratio

 

Medium cost of living

 

Excellent Industry and Alumni networks

 

High campus activity. Lots of events all around the year in the department as well as the campus.

 

Cultural diversity and high selectivity

 

Excellent industry and Alumni networks

 

More courses needed to complete the degree ensuring more exposure

 

Very well-known and recognised brand label. Also excellent facilities for startups and proximity to RTP area, a high density of companies

 

Proximity to Boston and New York, excellent employment opportunities

 

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cons

 

Huge Asian population each year, skewing the diversity of the student body

 

More tuition and High cost of living

 

Huge Batch size (>100) implying a poor faculty to student ratio

 

Location is in the middle of nowhere. All restaurants, clubs stores are miles away.

 

Curriculum does not seem to be as intensive

 

The degree is only 1year, though can be extended to 1.5 years

 

 

Are these the only 2 schools you're considering, or have you received acceptances from other MEM programs? Based on your list, and other factors, I'd go with Dartmouth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@thoughtsabrewing 

I've received acceptances from Purdue and USC as well, waiting on Johns Hopkins decision. I've also applied to Stanford and Columbia but withdrew my applications from both the universities. Right now, my top choices are Duke and Dartmouth. I like Dartmouth better which is why I think I've been a little biased towards it in my comparison. What other factors do you think makes Dartmouth better? I've talked to alumni from Duke and they religiously believe Duke would be an otherworldly experience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, kenstar said:

Congratulations on these excellent admits.

Now getting to your question, it depends on your goals. If you want more exposure to management, duke(fuqua) seems to be more logical. I had applied to both these programs too. And if given the choice, I would have opted for Dartmouth for the following reasons:

1)Excellent placement record

2)Close-knit community owing to its small class size

3)The faculty, especially Mr. Ross Gortner, takes a lot of pains to ensure that everyone gets an internship and a job offer in their area of interest.

To add to all this, you have a scholarship(yes it isn't 40%, but it is still good enough). You'll even get the "IVY" tag, if that matters to you at all. Dartmouth's alumni network is very extensive and extremely helpful. I have gotten very positive and encouraging response from my interaction with their current and past students who've been very helpful. Go with your heart. I don't think you'll regret joining either of these programs. 

Wishing you all the best!

 

Thank you! I hope you are doing well with your application process too. I could see that you're going for management science and would love to hear about your career plans. 

Now onto the points you've made, upon the comparison, Duke also has excellent placement record. Even though Duke has a larger class, I hear they're quite close. Alumni say that the department pushes students to be social by sponsoring several events like poker nights, hiking events etc., resulting in a closely bonded community. The career services team at Duke seems to be of great help during internships, and the team also coordinates several events with industries helping students in networking. And yes, I've talked to Mr Ross during my interview and he is an amazing person. Now, even with the tuition waiver, Dartmouth still costs more. Dartmouth has the Ivy tag, but Duke is better recognised all over the world (?)

This is a little frustrating to choose. I feel like Dartmouth will help me grow up a lot as a professional but that Duke will make me a better person overall. You mentioned that you've applied to both these programs. May I ask what you're choosing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, hexaninja said:

@thoughtsabrewing 

I've received acceptances from Purdue and USC as well, waiting on Johns Hopkins decision. I've also applied to Stanford and Columbia but withdrew my applications from both the universities. Right now, my top choices are Duke and Dartmouth. I like Dartmouth better which is why I think I've been a little biased towards it in my comparison. What other factors do you think makes Dartmouth better? I've talked to alumni from Duke and they religiously believe Duke would be an otherworldly experience. 

I didn't apply to Duke, so maybe I'm a bit biased myself. Their program didn't really excite me as much as the others. Dartmouth I like their emphasis on their alumni network and everyone seems to fall in love with the place when they go there. I think school should be more than just a degree, it should be your experience and the people you meet and future job prospects. All the students I know and have talked to like it a lot, their internship program sounds cool, and I like the small tight knit community. I found their webinars very useful.

Since you have been accepted to USC, I was wondering why you're considering Duke/Dartmouth over USC? There isn't much information out there about MEM programs and I don't know a lot of people in this field, so I was wondering if you have any insights to share!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use