Are you applying to a grad program outside of your discipline?

coffeeandtoast

(Yes, I hate this wait, I'm just starting random topics! :) )

I have a BS in engineering and I'm applying to sociology and theology programs (I have a masters in theology), which I believe is giving my adcoms good reasons to laugh :lol: I really believe that the fact that I'm going so far from my discipline will ultimately hurt my chances to be admitted.

Am I the only crazy one?

(Yes, I hate this wait, I'm just starting random topics! :) )

I have a BS in engineering and I'm applying to sociology and theology programs (I have a masters in theology), which I believe is giving my adcoms good reasons to laugh :lol: I really believe that the fact that I'm going so far from my discipline will ultimately hurt my chances to be admitted.

Am I the only crazy one?

relax. your weakness is your strength.

You're not the only one; lots of people in various threads have mentioned switching fields, though engineering -> theology -> sociology is definitely one of the more interesting paths I've heard of. That's got to be worth something, right? I have a BA in communication and an MBA, and I applied to nine sociology programs and one communication program. Sometimes you have to try different things to figure out what you really like.

I have a background in psychology but applied to several neuroscience programs. I got interviews at all 3 programs I applied to, and 2 interviews from Psychology programs so far (out of 11 I applied to). I don't have a ton of bio coursework but have worked in neuroimaging for 2+ years. Applying to neuroscience programs was a last minute idea and now I'm totally wishing I applied to more!

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one ;) I knew there were a few of us out there.

I appreciate your insight about my background. I thought that it would be interesting when I was applying, but the more I think about it, the more I look like a mixed bag. It's just frustrating when you realize you went to school for so long, worked so hard for your degrees, and then realize that what you do "is okay", but this is NOT what you want to do: there is no passion...And then you find something else that you *really* enjoy and can you see yourself doing... but it may never happen because you didn't make up your mind when you were 18.

I switched disciplines from undergrad to MA--from comparative literature to the social sciences. And then, within my discipline, I switched focus areas between my MA and PhD (from urban public policy to conservation). And I did all this while going straight through school.

Went from being a history major to a field in business (though I will have a master's in HR).

Did I mention I started out as a math major in undergrad? :P

Edited by alexis

I changed from Astronomy (and a B.Sc) to Gender and Cultural Studies (and a B.A, plus an Honours year) very late in my undergraduate career. Worked my arse off to finish in six months longer than it would have taken had I gone straight into the B.A from high school. I'm now applying mostly to Ph.D programs in English, which is still a bit of a jump from my undergraduate degree. Nothing like the science-to-humanities leap, though.

I got my undergrad in electrical engineering and applied to computer science programs - and one art/design program.

I have a minor in CS and my field is at a strange intersection between EE, CS and physics. I applied to whichever program that had professors which did similar research to me.

I changed from Astronomy (and a B.Sc) to Gender and Cultural Studies (and a B.A, plus an Honours year) very late in my undergraduate career. Worked my arse off to finish in six months longer than it would have taken had I gone straight into the B.A from high school. I'm now applying mostly to Ph.D programs in English, which is still a bit of a jump from my undergraduate degree. Nothing like the science-to-humanities leap, though.

Wow!! This is a big jump!! Good luck with your applications!

You are not alone, I went from a BA in French Lit/European Art History to applying to PhD programs in Chinese art history/EALC...not a crazy jump if you know me personally but a little random on paper. We just bring broader experiences to our respective fields, right?

Edited by eiren8