Attn: Berkeley Admits

Ibycus

I feel it's my duty to share this article with anyone who has been admitted to UC-Berkeley (or might be admitted off the waitlist). Not gonna comment beyond that since this article is my only familiarity with the situation:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/famous-philosophy-professor-accused-sexual-harassment?utm_term=.lj4Y5eXnk#.sfWdE3b15

When Ong, who is Asian-American, brought up the topic of American imperialism, Searle responded “American imperialism? Oh boy, that sounds great, honey! Let’s go to bed and do that right now!” the complaint states.

This is TRULY DISGUSTING. But apparently, Searle has a sexual assault history and Berkeley has a history tolerating his misconduct. 

Unless this is libel, I'm appalled.

I will say, may I be glad things like this are exposed? Not for the controversy, but for the fact that we need to treat famous people with more scrutiny (not less) when it comes to the use of their power (gotten through intellect or prestige, or whatever).

That sexual harassment has been exposed in Phil depts across the Nation: we need to have a sea change in the way we see power and how we elevate our favorite authors.

Could there be a reform in tenure, that does not make the adjunct problem worse?

Edited by Duns Eith

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 8:03 AM, Duns Eith said:

Could there be a reform in tenure, that does not make the adjunct problem worse?

Tenure doesn't protect from firing for cause. The kind of behaviour described in Ong's complaint would constitute grounds for dismissal.

33 minutes ago, maxhgns said:

Tenure doesn't protect from firing for cause. The kind of behaviour described in Ong's complaint would constitute grounds for dismissal.

I guess I am thinking about reforms so as to not engender such power structures in the first place. If the charges are true, there's something that has been happening psychologically and socially within that work environment that is not healthy. The disparity of power probably plays into it.

Edited by Duns Eith

Having a really prominent philosopher brings many advantages to the department. Stories like this bring disadvantages. So to fix the moral hazard in play we would have to make people care less about prominent individuals and also not penalize departments for misconduct of individuals.

2 hours ago, Duns Eith said:

I guess I am thinking about reforms so as to not engender such power structures in the first place. If the charges are true, there's something that has been happening psychologically and socially within that work environment that is not healthy. The disparity of power probably plays into it.

The disparity of power isn't really a direct function of tenure, though. You see similar power hierarchies in institutions without tenure, it's just based on seniority. 

Honestly, tenure probably does more to help than hurt on the whole- without tenure, it would be nearly impossible for someone junior (lower in the power hierarchy) to do anything about confronting established senior faculty like Searles without immediate repercussions.