University of Illinois-Chicago

DeWinter

OMG! I didn't receive anything. They must be busy crafting up an uber-rejection email. Sigh...

Hopefully, you'll receive an acceptance. Maybe you're on their waitlist. I certainly hope so. I'd like to see at least someone from this thread get into the program.

• 2 weeks later...

If any of those of you who are wait listed get notice that you get in please post it and keep us updated. Has anyone heard how many people are on the waiting list and how we are all ranked? I emailed the grad coordinator, but haven't heard anything back. This is my only PhD options that I got into so I'm kind of anxious about it.

I am still in decision mode. I heard from WSU that they are very interested in me as well, and are just trying to figure out funding.

And then there is the UW wait list...

In the end though, I will probably go to Iowa. That is the strongest contender right now.

I am still in decision mode. I heard from WSU that they are very interested in me as well, and are just trying to figure out funding.

And then there is the UW wait list...

In the end though, I will probably go to Iowa. That is the strongest contender right now.

Wow!! I'm super jealous!! I'm also on the waitlist and I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for UIC. Maybe if you reject, I'll be next in line... :P (wishful thinking?)

Take it from a waitlisted pro....

If you havent heard back yet at all, that means you're waitlisted and they're waiting to see who accepts and who does not. No need to force their hand until you have an offer from a similarly ranked school. And then still.

If you dont know where you're at on the list, you want to make a strong positive expression since people make decisions on and after April 15th. If possible, visit the school for a day. If not, make

If you're waitlisted at a top ten school, ask if they carryover the waitlist to the next year.

If you're waitlisted at a top 10 school, dont accept the offer from another lower ranked school. You know you nearly made it in. So, why not do something else for a year (a master's program, whatever) and reapply the following year.

Reality folks: in a tight market, rankings matter. Students from top 20 schools as well as "good" schools such as CUNY, TAMU, Florida State, Maryland, Virginia, and Cornell will be looked at. So, if you're not there and you're seriously considering an academic job, it's better to wait.

spaulding

• 3 weeks later...

I got in with funding as well. Have you gone and visited? Do you think you will accept this offer?

I've not gone and visited the school, although I've been to Chicago several time. I would most probably accept the offer because it works for me and my partner. What about u? U going?

I've not gone and visited the school, although I've been to Chicago several time. I would most probably accept the offer because it works for me and my partner. What about u? U going?

I did go and visit last week. This is my only PhD offer with funding so money-wise I'm leaning towards it, but I've never lived in a big city and when I visited Chicago it really intimidated me so I'm worried about being able to hack it in Chicago. I will probably suck it up and go there anyways.

how's the visit like? did you like it? i'm ray by the way.

I am Heather, nice to meet you since it looks like we will be in the same incoming cohort for the fall. The campus and the behavioral science building were not much to talk about, but the department and faculty itself are amazing and that's what counts. I met with about 10 professors while I was there and 5 grad students and the students had only praise to give about the department and the professors. The one thing that did concern me was the grad students told me their funding had not been touched with budget cuts, but my last day there the students were all wearing strike buttons and ready to go on strike any day. They say the point is to get the university to put funding into a contract so it's unlawful for them to touch it. You said you are familiar with Chicago, if looking for housing which areas are good to look into?

I am Heather, nice to meet you since it looks like we will be in the same incoming cohort for the fall. The campus and the behavioral science building were not much to talk about, but the department and faculty itself are amazing and that's what counts. I met with about 10 professors while I was there and 5 grad students and the students had only praise to give about the department and the professors. The one thing that did concern me was the grad students told me their funding had not been touched with budget cuts, but my last day there the students were all wearing strike buttons and ready to go on strike any day. They say the point is to get the university to put funding into a contract so it's unlawful for them to touch it. You said you are familiar with Chicago, if looking for housing which areas are good to look into?

Nice to meet you too.

Oh really? They are going on strike? That is a little scary. I've actually seen a newspaper report (NYT I believe) a couple of weeks ago whereby faculty and students "protested" against budget cuts etc. I hope nothing gets cut though. It would suck so bad!!! I'm avoiding the "livelier" places such as the south part of Chicago (eg. Hype Park). It is just because it is usually associated with crime etc, although I have friends who say that it isn't as bad as it is perceived. I'm most probably going to look for something in the north. I'm probably heading down to chicago in a few weeks to check out apartments. (http://www.chicagoapartmentfinders.com/search_apartment_rentals.asp) This is a good link to do apartment searches. Furthermore, I believe they would drive you around looking at prospective apartments for free. I'm not 100% about this but it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm not sure if you know this but UIC is on the blue line. So living near any CTA lines would be good!!! HEre's the link to their lines (http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/maps/default.aspx)

I just bought a car and now I have to sell it because one doesn't need a car to survive in chicago.

I am really excited about UIC and living in Chicago.