Acceptances' Subfields

Accepted at UC-Davis and waitlisted at Michigan; subfields are 20th Century/Modernism and ecocriticism/spatial and geographical approaches. Good luck to everyone still waiting! Remember that it's still super early, and those are the only two of mine that have notified!

Edited by intextrovert

Hi all. I was (surprisingly) accepted to UC Irvine's comparative literature program. My area is Latin American literature and political philosophy, for the most part. Also, my partner was accepted to UC Riverside's comparative literature program. His specialization is philosophy and literature. Good luck to everyone. Those acceptances are sure to start rolling in soon!

I have been accepted to Duke, Chicago and Suny Buffalo so far and my general area of study is the literature of the long American 1960s (1958-1973), the history of social movements in the US and Europe, and the history of psychiatry and anti-psychiatry.

My acceptances are in my signature. I work on the 18th and 19th century British novel, Romanticism, and Enlightenment philosophy.

Eli--I hope you're not using this info to try to gauge your chances at schools that have started to notify. You'll drive yourself nuts and this isn't very accurate. While some programs do have rigid slots, the allocations are unpredictable, since it's influenced by previous cohort makeup and faculty hires. And most programs, from my experience, are very flexible about "field coverage" among applicants. They realize that many of us will change our minds, hence and tend to recruit the best fit for the program overall, rather than...say, the "top 4 Victorianists." In any case, good luck! I hope that those who are still waiting will hear good news soon. It is extremely early still. Many programs won't notify first round offers until the 3rd or 4th week of February...and notifications will often continue on through March.

On 2/5/2010 at 2:35 AM, Eli-Why? said:

If you've been accepted/waitlisted, would you post your subfield here? Thanks!

I'm too lazy to type the schools (esp since I haven't heard back from 3...) but I did get into my first choice, fully funded. I'm doing Rhet/Comp focusing on language crimes/rhetorical concepts of legality and of course Comp pedagogy. I may change my mind though, since I'm getting pretty sick of the law!

Accepted at Vanderbilt, my interests are ethnic literatures, immigration history/policy, and immigrant narratives...this obviously bleeds into postcolonial lit/theory, diaspora studies, critical race theory, etc.

Wow, people have some really interesting subfields! I feel so boring.

Accepted at Vanderbilt, my interests are ethnic literatures, immigration history/policy, and immigrant narratives...this obviously bleeds into postcolonial lit/theory, diaspora studies, critical race theory, etc.

Wow, people have some really interesting subfields! I feel so boring.

Don't feel boring! I think that ethnic literatures--especially vernacular speech and so forth--are very interesting.

My acceptances are listed below, and my subfields are British and American romanticism (both the literature and philosophy). I am also interested in the history of lyric/poetics and critical theory.

Edited by lompoc727

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

I've been accepted into Berkeley's Comp. Lit. program and WashU's dual English-Comp. Lit program. My main interests include postcolonial studies, queer theory, psychoanalysis, and disability studies. I'm interested in 19th- through 21st century Caribbean, U.S., and maghrebi literatures in spanish, french, and english.

Accepted by SUNY Buffalo PhD program, subfields are digital media and cultural studies. Good luck!

Hey, I am thinking of applying to the same program next year with the same subfields! Do you think you could give me your stats, just to see what I'm up against? ;)

Hey, I am thinking of applying to the same program next year with the same subfields! Do you think you could give me your stats, just to see what I'm up against? ;)

Cool! It's really hard to meet people who are interested in digital studies. You'd think it would be a lot more popular than it is given how reliant we are on technology these days!

My stats are by no means super impressive: 690V, 610Q, 5.0W, 3.9 GPA. I don't come from a well known UG, and I think the reason I was accepted, other than fit, is because I spent my year off working independently and then presented my work at a conference (and used this paper as my writing sample). Given that SUNY-B gives their students so much independence, I think they felt I'd be motivated enough to do well there. Good luck to you, I hope you make it in!

I have been accepted into UVA's Ph.D. program. My subfield is the Restoration and Long Eighteenth Century (British, that is). My particular interest is authorial responses to the commodification of the text in the 18th Century.

My subfield is late medieval English literature. I have been accepted to Princeton, UCLA, IU Bloomington, and UC Irvine. Wait listed at Duke and WUSTL.

My one and only acceptance is to University of Oregon, barring any last minute additions. My field is English literature of the long 19th century, with an emphasis on representations of empire-- especially in relation to regions/ethnicities that don't exactly fit into the colonial mold. My sweet baby pet project at the moment is the evolution of national sympathy/distrust toward the Balkans, as manifested in popular literature and travel writing. Yum!