Notre Dame and Brandeis

Also: the lone Berkeley acceptance... any word?

It's a bit early for Berkeley. They should begin notifying next week. I'm guessing that that survey result is either someone pulling our leg, or a professor emailing a favorite applicant before the official calls/emails go out. Good luck!

It's a bit early for Berkeley. They should begin notifying next week. I'm guessing that that survey result is either someone pulling our leg, or a professor emailing a favorite applicant before the official calls/emails go out. Good luck!

based on your signature it looks like maybe you are the berkeley acceptance??

On 2/6/2010 at 3:20 AM, BillyPilgrim said:

based on your signature it looks like maybe you are the berkeley acceptance??

I didn't post to gradcafe's results. And that entry predates my acceptance--predates, actually, when decisions were finalized, which is why I think it's either false or extremely unusual.

I didn't post to gradcafe's results. And that entry predates my acceptance--predates, actually, when decisions were finalized, which is why I think it's either false or extremely unusual.

hey, so i'm just wondering...does this mean you were accepted at berkeley? that would make 2 acceptances that we know of (yours and the person who posted on the results page). i also wonder if you know anything about when they are finalizing their decisions (i got the sense that you know something and am hoping that you'll share).

hey, so i'm just wondering...does this mean you were accepted at berkeley? that would make 2 acceptances that we know of (yours and the person who posted on the results page). i also wonder if you know anything about when they are finalizing their decisions (i got the sense that you know something and am hoping that you'll share).

I received an email from the graduate school (not the department) that I should pay my application fee. I'm recommended for acceptance and they will not send out the official letter until then. The tone of the email suggests that it only went out to accepted candidates who had neglected to pay that fee--it's more of a "hurry up and give us our money" than a "congrats, you're in!" email. This seems to be a routine notice for Berkeley's Graduate division. I don't think they even realize that they're breaking the news to us early.

Independent of this email, Berkeley English has made all decisions and will notify soon, probably early next week.

I know an acquaintance who was admitted to Berkeley in late January, if that helps add to the mystique at all.

Probably Rhet/Comp, right? It's a different department and that's when they notified. My understanding is that people with actual insider knowledge have said English is notifying next week, and hadn't even finalized decisions back then.

I received an email from the graduate school (not the department) that I should pay my application fee. I'm recommended for acceptance and they will not send out the official letter until then. The tone of the email suggests that it only went out to accepted candidates who had neglected to pay that fee--it's more of a "hurry up and give us our money" than a "congrats, you're in!" email. This seems to be a routine notice for Berkeley's Graduate division. I don't think they even realize that they're breaking the news to us early.

Independent of this email, Berkeley English has made all decisions and will notify soon, probably early next week.

thanks for the info and congrats on your admit! I'm a little puzzled that your app was even looked at since you didn't pay the fee (although super impressed that you were able to do that and happy for you--as I am admittedly jealous). Makes me wish I didn't fork out the fee...especially if I'm rejected! But congrats to you!

• 2 weeks later...

I got the boot from Brandeis today. USPS.

that's odd. the peppy girl who answered the phone said the committee was still meeting. maybe this means there's a different MA committee or they're deciding on final candidates. i'm sorry to hear that though! i got the boot today from uconn.

that's odd. the peppy girl who answered the phone said the committee was still meeting. maybe this means there's a different MA committee or they're deciding on final candidates. i'm sorry to hear that though! i got the boot today from uconn.

Here's to the boot! *clink*

That's odd. There have been a few USPS rejections from Brandeis over the last few weeks on the board. FWIW, I already have an MA. Maybe that makes a difference...

I applied to the PhD program at Brandeis and last night I received an email that I had been offered admission to the joint MA program in English and WGS with a tuition remission scholarship. I won't be taking the offer so hopefully that will open up a spot for one of you MA hopefuls out there.

At any rate, I thought I'd share because it seems that Brandeis is probably quite close to making their final decisions (if they haven't already). Of course the email mentioned that "We had a record number of excellent applicants for a very small number of slots and were able to admit only 3% of our candidates." Mmmmmmmkay.