BGSU vs. Rush University

I am super torn between two programs! I want to go into medical SLP and Chicago is my dream city so Rush has been my #1 choice and dream school, but is much more expensive. BGSU is less expensive and still a good all around school. I don't know much about Bowling Green and it seems much less "fun" of a place to be. If anyone has any input I would love the help! 

I can't comment regarding either program (way outside of my discipline), but BGSU is pretty close to both Chicago and Detroit (I think the latter is only about an hour and a half drive). I didn't think Bowling Green was especially off-putting, but it is a small town. I wouldn't necessarily discount it due to its location, assuming that you're comfortable commuting a little bit for trips towards a larger city.

Of course, I could be completely mistaken. :) I only visited BGSU for a few days, and that was a year and a half ago now.

Rush is an amazing program if your passion is medical SLP. It is rigorous and at times crazy, but students survive it all the time. The city is beautiful with a lot of opportunities. If Rush, is where you truly want to go, you can't go wrong. I was there for one quarter but decided to transfer to a different school as Rush wasn't my personal best fit. However, the professor's are great. They will be switching to a semester system starting in the fall and you will learn more than just the clinical aspects of SLP. Good luck! :)

18 hours ago, rbarrone said:

I am super torn between two programs! I want to go into medical SLP and Chicago is my dream city so Rush has been my #1 choice and dream school, but is much more expensive. BGSU is less expensive and still a good all around school. I don't know much about Bowling Green and it seems much less "fun" of a place to be. If anyone has any input I would love the help! 

It's a personal choice for how much money your willing to spend vs. location. I decided not to apply to BGSU after going to an open house because of the few resources available in the area. They explained that you may have to drive up to an hour away to see a client and then still return to campus for night classes. For me, all that driving was excessive when I knew other schools were located by big hospitals and skilled nursing facilities. Personally, I think I would choose Rush because there's more diversity in the kind of clients you would see there then Bowling Green, Ohio. 

And to the post above, BG is 4 hours from Chicago but yes closer to less exciting Detroit.

9 minutes ago, ktmel87 said:

It's a personal choice for how much money your willing to spend vs. location. I decided not to apply to BGSU after going to an open house because of the few resources available in the area. They explained that you may have to drive up to an hour away to see a client and then still return to campus for night classes. For me, all that driving was excessive when I knew other schools were located by big hospitals and skilled nursing facilities. Personally, I think I would choose Rush because there's more diversity in the kind of clients you would see there then Bowling Green, Ohio. 

And to the post above, BG is 4 hours from Chicago but yes closer to less exciting Detroit.

I didn't know that they have you drive that far for clients.. I turned down another school for that same reason (they had you driving up to 2 hours.. but still 1 hour in traffic is no better). I do really want that diversity that Rush will offer so I really appreciate your response! I'm thinking the better experience at Rush will pay off when it comes to getting a job, and that would make the higher cost worth it. 

3 hours ago, rbarrone said:

Are you debating between Rush and another program?

I'm pretty certain I will be going to U Washington but I sent in some supplemental stuff to the financial aid department today so I'm waiting to see what they prep for me for my financial aid package before deciding. Rush is EXPENSIVE.

8 hours ago, imunster said:

I'm pretty certain I will be going to U Washington but I sent in some supplemental stuff to the financial aid department today so I'm waiting to see what they prep for me for my financial aid package before deciding. Rush is EXPENSIVE.

Have you both heard a decision from Rush? 

1 hour ago, alyssamaz11 said:

Have you both heard a decision from Rush? 

Yes I was accepted March 7, and was invited to fill out the supplemental app early Feb I think