The basics for competitiveness anywhere

mutualist007

What are the essential basics needed for serious consideration anywhere at any program?

I can say what I have, but I am curious to get feedback on generalities rather than specific feedback on my background.

The categories can include:

• The ranking of your undergrad school
  • Effective mentoring in school
  • GRE
  • Research publications
  • Conference presentations
  • Work experience
  • Letters of Rec
  • Personal statement content
  • Other factors not mentioned above.

Thanks!

If you are applying to research graduate programs and PhDs, all letters should come from professors. There are some exceptions, for example if you've been out of school for awhile and you are doing research work or work related to your field, having your current employer write a letter might be okay. Otherwise, the LORs for grad schools are very different than those for any other job---you want letters to speak about your academic and research potential specifically, not the general "X is a hard worker" or "X is a good person" type letter.

For a PhD in my field, I would say that the following things are important, in rough order. I list the criteria first and then what the committee might use to evaluate the criteria:

1. Research work experience: LORs, CV**, statement of purpose, earned research positions

2. Academic achievement: Transcripts/GPAs, LORs, statement of purpose, GREs/test scores

3. Research/career goals: statement of purpose, LORs

4. Factors outside of your control: which profs have openings, how much funding available for American/international students, how many other people applying for the same subfield as you

Finally, all the first three categories are going to be "weighted" based on your background/undergrad experience. If you are at a top school that provides tons of research opportunities for their undergrads but you only have one summer REU or REU-like experience, then it might be weird. However, if you are at a smaller non-research school but you were able to win a competitive REU (or REU-like) position for even just one summer, that would mean a lot more. Similarly, because different schools have different grading schemes, your GPA is evaluated with the rigor of your undergrad school in mind.

**Note: Things like publications and presentations are included in "CV" in my list because that's where you would mention them

4 hours ago, TakeruK said:

If you are applying to research graduate programs and PhDs, all letters should come from professors. There are some exceptions, for example if you've been out of school for awhile and you are doing research work or work related to your field, having your current employer write a letter might be okay. Otherwise, the LORs for grad schools are very different than those for any other job---you want letters to speak about your academic and research potential specifically, not the general "X is a hard worker" or "X is a good person" type letter.

I realize I wouldn't just use any past employer. the employer in particular was the VP of Science, and R&D at a Biotech company, and I was involved in some bioinformatics and analysis afterwards that may be used in product development and research publication. The experience was as academically intense as any situation I encountered in graduate school although I had to dig deeper into genetic and computational background than anything else. I also got to do some statistical analysis as well. I don't know if that kind of job background would matter as much but I thought it would help round out my application and background.

9 hours ago, mutualist007 said:

One more: What kinds of references are best? 

Did I make a mistake having my former boss do a letter? Should all LOR come from professors?

I think I saw that you posted, in another thread, that you have applied more than 3 or 4 cycles. My best advice to you is to reach out to the advisors you applied to work with and ask them directly about how you can improve your application. Last year I applied to six programs, got denied at five, and got one interview - however, ultimately, I didn't get accepted. Following the suggestion of my mentor, I reached out to all my denials and asked for very specific feedback in regards to why I was denied. The feedback varied; basically, though, the main reasons were: 1) one section of my GRE score was too low, 2) only one poster presentation, and 3) no publications. In the course of the next year, I did as many poster and paper presentations that I could manage and got second and third author on two publications. I took my GRE again and my less than average score improved slightly. When applying to schools again, I didn't apply to any of the same schools I applied to - with the exception of the one I interviewed at. Before applying, I also sent out emails to potential advisors with an introduction of myself - including my GPA, past clinical and research experience, and research interests, my CV, and the very specific questions: "Are you accepting a student? If so, do you feel that I would be a good fit in your lab?" These emails really were my foot in the door. Out of the 30, about 25 of them replied on whether they were accepting students and whether I should apply. The majority welcomed my application and some even shared their CVs or put me in contact with their current graduate students. Those that thought I was not a good fit, sent me information for others in their department that I could potentially contact. Some even told me flat out that I was not competitive enough for their program, but still welcomed me to apply. Obviously, I didn't and put that money toward other programs where I got more positive feedback. Moreover, three advisors offered me phone calls to learn more about their research, program, and institution - which, of course, I did not turn down. I truly believe building this relationship with potential advisors is the most advantageous way to get an interview. Out of the schools I applied to, I got invited to four interviews and received three offers; two as first choice and the last as first alternate. I hope this information helps! If you want to PM me, I don't mind sharing a more in-depth explanation or templates of my emails. Best of luck!

On 4/3/2017 at 0:39 PM, TakeruK said:

For a PhD in my field, I would say that the following things are important, in rough order. I list the criteria first and then what the committee might use to evaluate the criteria:

1. Research work experience: LORs, CV**, statement of purpose, earned research positions

2. Academic achievement: Transcripts/GPAs, LORs, statement of purpose, GREs/test scores

3. Research/career goals: statement of purpose, LORs

4. Factors outside of your control: which profs have openings, how much funding available for American/international students, how many other people applying for the same subfield as you

Finally, all the first three categories are going to be "weighted" based on your background/undergrad experience. If you are at a top school that provides tons of research opportunities for their undergrads but you only have one summer REU or REU-like experience, then it might be weird. However, if you are at a smaller non-research school but you were able to win a competitive REU (or REU-like) position for even just one summer, that would mean a lot more. Similarly, because different schools have different grading schemes, your GPA is evaluated with the rigor of your undergrad school in mind.

I think I asked the wrong question but I appreciate that you listed these in order of importance. But how can one quantify a baseline for the quality of LOR and the number of publications or amount of research experience? What GRE scores are safely high enough?

15 hours ago, HigherEdPsych said:

In the course of the next year, I did as many poster and paper presentations that I could manage and got second and third author on two publications. 

That indeed is a miraculous turn around. How does one apply and get accepted to present posters at conferences, and get "second and third" author on two publications all before a new application season?

I'm not in school now, and struggling with employment and personal/family issues.

20 minutes ago, mutualist007 said:

I think I asked the wrong question but I appreciate that you listed these in order of importance. But how can one quantify a baseline for the quality of LOR and the number of publications or amount of research experience? What GRE scores are safely high enough?

These metrics are not quantifiable because they vary from school to school and between admissions committees. My advice is normally to talk to the professors in your department to get their input, but as you said you are not in school now, it certainly makes things a lot harder.

I think what you need to help you the most is someone who is in your field and knows you well enough to give you honest and helpful feedback on next steps. The first people you should talk to are your LOR writers. Are any of them faculty members? Talk to those first. If not, other sources are: an academic advisor during your undergrad, other research advisors (faculty, postdocs, senior grad students, mentors). Also, does your undergrad school's alumni association offer any networking or career help events? It is hard to get back into the academic world once you've left it, so if you're not connected to anyone in academia right now, I think it would be important to get plugged back in and get help from someone who knows you. 

8 hours ago, mutualist007 said:

That indeed is a miraculous turn around. How does one apply and get accepted to present posters at conferences, and get "second and third" author on two publications all before a new application season?

I'm not in school now, and struggling with employment and personal/family issues.

Well, I should add that I've been working in my current lab for the last 2.5 years as a volunteer. In my lab, we typically work on 3-5 projects simultaneously with a fairly short amount of time spent on finishing projects. Again, I built a relationship with my lab director, and asked him directly if we could participate in local and national conferences and conventions. To which he did not object. When it comes to publishing, I suppose I am luckily in the sense that he is really open to RAs helping with the process. Another way to present is to start your own project and search for a mentor to help direct the project - surely one of your LORs would be willing? As soon as I knew I wasn't getting in last year, I began to design my own quant study with a survey measure. With outside help, I got IRB clearance, ran the study for a few months, did analyses, and had more data at my disposal. 

As for your current situation, the reality is: if you are having personal, family, or financial issues, perhaps this is not the time to start a PhD until those things are addressed. I know this is likely not the news you want to hear, but rushing into a PhD program with other obligations could potentially leave you worse off. 

2 minutes ago, HigherEdPsych said:

Well, I should add that I've been working in my current lab for the last 2.5 years as a volunteer. In my lab, we typically work on 3-5 projects simultaneously with a fairly short amount of time spent on finishing projects. Again, I built a relationship with my lab director, and asked him directly if we could participate in local and national conferences and conventions. To which he did not object. When it comes to publishing, I suppose I am luckily in the sense that he is really open to RAs helping with the process. Another way to present is to start your own project and search for a mentor to help direct the project - surely one of your LORs would be willing? As soon as I knew I wasn't getting in last year, I began to design my own quant study with a survey measure. With outside help, I got IRB clearance, ran the study for a few months, did analyses, and had more data at my disposal. 

As for your current situation, the reality is: if you are having personal, family, or financial issues, perhaps this is not the time to start a PhD until those things are addressed. I know this is likely not the news you want to hear, but rushing into a PhD program with other obligations could potentially leave you worse off. 

I was struggling more with the family/personal issues this past year. Now it's just me and I'm free to pursue my interests and goals solo. I've asked past recommenders about weaknesses and never got definitive answers. But for now I am going to assume that I need to be at the top of everything. I've come close to being published but never quite made it past review on papers as a second author. I will assume that I need to have everything else that top candidates have, even if that means finding a mentor while I'm not in school anymore.