Do international applicants get notices later?

deckard

Hi,

I'm an "international" applicant. So far I've received a rejection email from Wisconsin-Madison. The date of the email (5 Feb) came a few days after acceptances were announced, which seem to have been around 3 Feb (correct me if I'm wrong, lucky W-M applicants!)

Is it generally true that rejection emails get sent after the first round of acceptances? This means no news is bad news if everyone else seems to be celebrating their acceptances....

Also, have any international students here been accepted into your choices, and do you know if your email/phone call came at the same time as the US-based applicants or later?

Thanks!

I hope so! ...Mmost of the people who reported their admits on the result page are American. Only one UCLA admit is Intnl. None of the Stanford admits is Intnl.

I am an intnl student ....but currently in the masters program here in the States. Oh my god........this waiting is driving me crazy.

I am an International Student and got accepted into Wisconsin via e-mail on the 26th January, along with most of the other acceptances as far as I can tell from the results page (domestic and international). I sincerely hope that Stanford and Columbia have not informed Internationals yet, but no idea whether that is just wishful thinking or actually true. Any feedback on that would be greatly appreciated... and yes, the waiting is slowly but steadily driving me insane too...

I applied to Columbia and Stanford as well, and no news here. The rash of Stanford acceptances last week was quite worrying. I guess this week will be D-day for us international applicants.

I don't know why international students might be contacted later than others though. Email gets rid of the time difference....unless the schools prefer to contact us via snail mail.

I am an international. Last year I received my 2 rejections and 2 waitlists at the same time as everyone else. So far this year, I feel like I was one of the first people to get the one acceptance i've gotten. I think the only difference is when the school you're applying to does rejections by postal mail. If you live outside the US that might make a difference. Other than that, there's no reason why you would have to wait more for the notice.

Well, the bad news: I got rejected by Stanford, although it appears they are only taking a (shockingly low) 8-9 students this coming year.

The good news: Princeton accepted me!

Congratulations!

Well, the bad news: I got rejected by Stanford, although it appears they are only taking a (shockingly low) 8-9 students this coming year.

The good news: Princeton accepted me!

Congratulations! Is Princeton one of your top choices?

Just curious - how do you know how many people Stanford accepted? Are you just basing it on the number of people who posted acceptances on this site?

The figure was mentioned in the rejection email I received from Stanford.

Princeton is one of my top choices as the faculty there is great and my research interests fit their program. Not too sure about living in NJ though. I'll have to check that out in the cities forum!

The figure was mentioned in the rejection email I received from Stanford.

Princeton is one of my top choices as the faculty there is great and my research interests fit their program. Not too sure about living in NJ though. I'll have to check that out in the cities forum!

I live in Princeton now - let me know if you have any questions about the area! :)

I got rejected from Ann Arbor the same time as everyone else. Since my interviews are through Skype or phone calls, I do them earlier than the actual interview weekend. The problem is that you can only speak to one prof at a time by phone. So they make me wait AGES between emails to set up more interviews (which is honestly excruciating). I would much rather see them all in one day and be over with it.

Firstly, congrats for the OP's acceptance by Princeton!

Second, I think the answer to the question could depends. Sometimes international students get notification as soon as domestic ones do. I'm domestic, and I have a friend who is a international applicant. We got the same admission and the same funding package from the same school in the same day.

However, to my knowledge, some schools send the international admissions through the international student division (whatever it is called), and in this case, I guess there would be a time lag.