MarinaLazarus

Hi!

I'm asking advice about my PhD in History. I have applied for two programs in Art History (rejected from Toronto, accepted at St Andrews) and two in History at Cambridge and Oxford (accepted from both) as my research project involves both architectural history and history. My problem is that I've  a MSc in Architectural History and Theory and a BA in History of Art and my dream was doing a PhD in Architectural History as I want to be an Architectural Historian. My MSc supervisor suggested me to apply for a PhD in History at Cambridge as there is a potential supervisor which has already worked on my research topic and the same in Oxford. With my surprise, I have been accepted but now I don't know what to do. I'm not worried about the supervisors who are expert in material culture (so both art and architecture) and really interested in the "architectural" part of my research.  What I fear the most is that I wouldn't be prepared enough in History and that I wouldn't fit in the department and that I would regret not being in the Art History one. I can still accept the offer at St Andrews (with no chances of funding) but I feel really stupid in refusing the offers from Oxbridge.

Is it true that I will be relatively free to shape my research regardless of the department? Can I attend courses held by other departments?

My supervisor told me that a PhD in History (and from Cambridge) is more prestigious that a PhD in History of Art, Is that true?

Question.  Are you interested in spatial history?  As in history of how space and environment were used by the society and the government?  Then, that's part of the history discipline.  If you are more interested in the art movements and designs of buildings, then it's to Art History you go.

There isn't really any "course work" at Oxbridge for doctoral students.  I gather there are a few bits of face time you are recommended to do, but otherwise your main job is to get a proper proposal accepted by the end of Year 1, and then turn in a masterpiece two years after that so you can go off and practice your craft.   

When you're not busy writing, you can attend pretty much any lecture you want, be it for one of the undergrad "papers" (courses or modules), or one-off events held by a department or a college.  There will be some kind of weekly seminar hosted by your niche of the department, as well.  If you think your work would improve by learning a language or getting on the ball about software, fixing those problems will be possible.  If you need to hear smart people explain quantum physics, there will be places to do that.

It sounds as if each place found you a supervisor in the history department who thought your interests were plausible.  Do you know either one, by having interviewed with them or looked at their writing?   It might be worth a conversation with each, to see how they'd suggest you start answering your question and developing new ones.

Edited by Concordia

20 hours ago, TMP said:

Question.  Are you interested in spatial history?  As in history of how space and environment were used by the society and the government?  Then, that's part of the history discipline.  If you are more interested in the art movements and designs of buildings, then it's to Art History you go.

Hi! In my research, I deal with the design of buildings as spatial history! I'm interested in the design because it is influenced by social and government issues. So it seems that I am in both disciplines :)

Interesting... I think you'll have to decide what methodology you want to focus on more.  Also, what appeals to you more-- teaching Western Art 101 or World History 101?  Pick one, and that's your main discipline.