Starting Applications (Fall 2018)

haxveeb

Hey y'all -

I'm starting to apply to PhD programs for Fall 218, and by starting I simply mean narrowing down a long list of possible choices. I am a bit nervous about my chances of being accepted, but was hoping to connect with folks who may have experience with any of the following institutions: McGill University, University of Michigan, University of Rochester, UCLA, and CUNY (listed in preference) 

A bit about me: BA Modern Language, MA Applied Linguistics - interested in how humans interact with language, especially in digital formats, and its production, generally. Currently working abroad and putting my MA to work, but as this comes to a close soon I'd like to start the next chapter in doctorate level coursework.

A few questions, please feel free to answer a few or just give me a nudge in the right direction:

• When did you start your applications and what did it look like from start to finish?
  • I've come across several programs (listed above) that permit concentrations in Cognitive Science, which dabbles in introductory work related to computational linguistics - though my background is AL, how do you think this interest would be perceived by admissions committees?
  • Though I am interested in academia, a tiny part of me is interested in industry as well - especially with the chance to start coursework in AI - should I express this in applications, or strictly stick to fluffing up academia?
  • What else should I know?!

Hope to hear back.

HV

I applied to programs for Fall 2017 and was accepted to McGill (although i won't be attending). McGill doesn't have any applied linguists, and there is only one sociolinguist. He's a dialectologist, so if you're interested in interactional linguistics and computer-mediated communication, it wouldn't be a good fit. You might look at Georgetown, if the aforementioned fields are of interest to you. However, it's a bit unclear to me what your research interests actually are as your statement of "how humans interact with language" is quite vague. 

Edited by 2017

^ I agree that McGill doesn't sound like a good choice. UCLA's linguistics department also isn't applied, but at least it's large and fairly broad in terms of faculty and interests (though I don't think it's what you're looking for). UMich is also fairly diverse. CUNY has more people on the applied side, as does Rochester, but your interests are so vague that I can't begin to guess who would be a good advisor for you at any of these institutions. I think you need to spend some time narrowing down and better-defining what it is that you are looking for. 

For your questions, 

On 4/27/2017 at 3:10 PM, haxveeb said:
  • When did you start your applications and what did it look like from start to finish?
  • I've come across several programs (listed above) that permit concentrations in Cognitive Science, which dabbles in introductory work related to computational linguistics - though my background is AL, how do you think this interest would be perceived by admissions committees?
  • Though I am interested in academia, a tiny part of me is interested in industry as well - especially with the chance to start coursework in AI - should I express this in applications, or strictly stick to fluffing up academia?
  • What else should I know?!
  1. I started studying for the GRE over the spring before the application season, took it in early summer. Wrote a draft of my SOP early in the summer and had probably about a dozen drafts before I had the first finished product, which I then tweaked to fit different applications (in terms of content, word count, fit). I asked for letters around October. I spent a *lot* of time researching programs over the summer and early fall, and iteratively over time better defining my own goals and interests -- as I read online and wrote my essays. I basically used an existing paper as my writing sample, and integrated comments I got on it in the fall. I got transcripts early in the fall, as well. I had a spreadsheet to keep track of all the different requirements of all my applications. You can find other posts on the board about timelines and strategies for keeping track of everything you need to do, there is nothing special about linguistics. 
  2. As long as you tie it into your other interests, it could be used to establish fit with the department. Beyond that, I'm not sure what you're asking. 
  3. I wouldn't fluff anything anywhere, and I wouldn't lie. It's fine to be open minded.
  4. Yeah, this is not a question anyone can sit down and answer. Read more on the board, and come back with more detailed questions.