I'm in. Now what? (PhD Experimental/Social Psychology)

Guitarman12

After a long application season, I am thankful to be starting my PhD in Experimental Social Psychology this fall. I was wondering if anyone can provide me with some insight on how they wouild recommend I spend my summer before the program.  

I am taking research methods and stats grad courses for my first semester.  I have heard those are some of the harder classes you will take in your PhD program.  Any advice for prepping for these?  Is it recommended to do some pre-studying in the summer?  

Any other just general advice for first-year grad students is welcome.  

Thanks. 

Hey! So, I'm also starting a Social Psychology PhD Program this fall. I asked a current student and she suggested I review statistics and start thinking about my first year project. 

Have you thought about asking someone currently in the program? (I'm also curious what advice others have...)

I had the same question last year before I started a clinical program. The advice my advisor gave me was to enjoy my summer and read a book unrelated to psychology, because that will be hard to do once you start. I think that is the best advice I can give looking back. Spend time getting your affairs in order too (esp if you have to move for school), but dont forget to enjoy summer! I spent my summer having fun with friends and family, prepping to move, getting any last doctor & dentist appointments in, and wrapping up the research I was working on at the time. I understand you are excited and I remember feeling the same way! But trust me, there will be plenty of time to study and think about your research program once you start school. In fact, that's what you'll spend a large portion of your time on. So enjoy your summer and read a book unrelated to psych! :)

I give my students an opportunity to start the summer before they begin on a funded or unfunded project or with a reading list. One student went through a syllabus of a course that wasn't going to be offered anytime soon and as she read and sent me thoughts, we would email back and forth.

There is something to be said for just relaxing, but, if you are eager, no need to wait.

I've decided on a two part plan for my summer

Part 1: Brush up on my stats, read over some journals for ideas for a first-year project, connect with my cohort
Part 2: Get through my "State Bucket List" which includes all food/drinks/shop/and other fun places before I move out of my home state for the first time ever. I also will be taking some "mini" trips on my weekends off from work and spending as much time with my family & friends as possible :)

• 3 weeks later...

Congratulations all!

I like to know stories of people who made it after all, helps me stay positive. I thought I would get a tip or two from successful applicants who made it to the program :) I'm applying the next cycle and, not surprisingly, I'm a little too anxious. My biggest worry is my GRE scores. Took it 3 times, scored on my last trial V:151, Q:161, AWA:3.5. And as you can see English is not my best quality or even my first language! I would appreciate any piece of advice.