Provisional Acceptance?

So, my alma mater, just called to offer me a provisional acceptance AFTER rejecting me two months ago.

No wait list...REJECT. They said I'd have to maintain a B average during the fall to prove my aptitude for graduate study. Like duh! Why would I not maintain a B average?!

It's really weird.

What do you guys think?

They probably made it through the list and offered you acceptance, or made a mistake. Some schools may just say that about the B thing. I wouldn't worry about it. I would just accept the acceptance if you want and be happy about going to grad school ☺️

Omg... did you really apply to almost 20 schools?? Dang! You were not playin! lol Congrats on getting a provisional acceptance!! You were given this, whereas some people have to BEG for this after being rejected everywhere! So I say if it is the school you want - go for it! And I never really understood why they state the B average thing - it's def a standard for speech. Good luck to you!

I was provisionally accepted to one of the schools I applied to. Would have to take a class before I started grad school and then would be fully accepted. I decided not to take this school but provisional acceptances do happen! Hope that helps.

Was this Texas A&M Kingsville by any chance? I was rejected there and got a call last week offering me admission. Like you said, I think they probably went through their waitlist and still have spots in their class. They didn't say anything about a provisional acceptance though. I would think that would have more to do with needing to take courses prior to beginning the program. Definitely weird, but if it's the school you want I wouldn't worry about how you got in, just be excited you did. There are people who would do anything to be admitted anywhere, so congrats!

26 minutes ago, Alicia124 said:

Was this Texas A&M Kingsville by any chance? I was rejected there and got a call last week offering me admission. Like you said, I think they probably went through their waitlist and still have spots in their class. They didn't say anything about a provisional acceptance though. I would think that would have more to do with needing to take courses prior to beginning the program. Definitely weird, but if it's the school you want I wouldn't worry about how you got in, just be excited you did. There are people who would do anything to be admitted anywhere, so congrats!

Noo, it was UNT, and I am not trying to go there so its whatever.

I'd rather carry my behind out-of-state.

Provisional acceptance is given for a number of reasons. You may need to send extra documents like transcripts before the start of the program, take a course etc. Some of the international students at my school need to take the TOEFL and send the scores before they arrived.

The other reason is the committee may see your potential in the program and want to allow you to prove your worth by maintaining a B average for the specified period. It could be a semester. If you do bad, you will be dismissed. So you are accepted but only if you fulfill their condition. 

First, clarify what "provisional acceptance" means from the CSD department and the Office of graduate studies. Second, ask what you NEED to do to be instated as FULL unconditional acceptance status.

So it is a risk to take by accepting it. You are in limbo but if I were you, I would accept it if SLP is what you want to do. I believe in you. Study hard,  network and show your clinical prowess and pray! Many people don't get this opportunity. 

Edited by ImHis