Older Grad Hopefuls Moving Families?

minnares

OMG - one of my cats is a seal point too! The other is a Burmese with a serious Garfield temperament. The Siamese isn't extremely vocal, though (thank god), although she is extremely spoiled. You think 3000 miles in a car is bad? Try 11 hours on a transatlantic flight with two cats crammed in one carry box, after their happy pills have worn off. I thought El-Al's ppl were NICE letting me take them in the cabin with me... my fellow passengers probably cursed me every single minute of the flight.

One thing for sure - on the flight BACK to the states - both they and the dog are going to the special pet area in cargo. They can scream their lungs out as much as they want there laugh.gif (while I obsess frantically that they're ok)

Oh, no! Nightmare. My husband had a labradoodle sitting on his foot for an entire flight from Paris to Greece once. It wasn't so bad laugh.gif . At least his foot was warm. LOL. Yeah, I thought about flying the animals, but they both have heart conditions (so much potential irony and literary value in having pets with broken hearts, let me tell you). Think it's going to be easier, at least for the Beagle, to just ride it out on the seat in the back of the van. He loves to ride in the car. It's like Beagle crack for him. The cat will need meds, but I think once we're on the road for a while she'll settle down. We have two vehicles to get across country, so it'll literally be a caravan with an animal in each car. Good times. At least my sons are older are fairly self sufficient. Can't imagine doing this with little ones and pets. My hat's off to anyone who might be doing that, since we all seem to be in a similar boat.

~m

Oh, no! Nightmare. My husband had a labradoodle sitting on his foot for an entire flight from Paris to Greece once. It wasn't so bad laugh.gif . At least his foot was warm. LOL. Yeah, I thought about flying the animals, but they both have heart conditions (so much potential irony and literary value in having pets with broken hearts, let me tell you). Think it's going to be easier, at least for the Beagle, to just ride it out on the seat in the back of the van. He loves to ride in the car. It's like Beagle crack for him. The cat will need meds, but I think once we're on the road for a while she'll settle down. We have two vehicles to get across country, so it'll literally be a caravan with an animal in each car. Good times. At least my sons are older are fairly self sufficient. Can't imagine doing this with little ones and pets. My hat's off to anyone who might be doing that, since we all seem to be in a similar boat.

~m

Oh, I just have the pets - no little ones or s.o. involved in the process (can you imagine trying to drag an s.o. to a different country? I've realized that I'm probably LUCKY that I'm single and without kids, and that my main worry is the pets re the whole grad school thing)

When are folks planning to move? If we are going someplace where we will be living off campus, I wonder if it is a better idea to move in June or July, when housing selection might be better?

If all goes according to plan (it seldom does, just sayin'), we plan to move the first week of July, or at least drive out. Best case scenario, we'd already have our new house picked out. We're hoping to find buyers that will let us rent back from them until the move date. I figured that'd give us the entire month of July to get there, settle in, unpack some, get my kids registered in school, etc.

~ m

We might end doing the NY thing, too, which terrifies and exhilarates me at the same time. Have you ever lived there before?

No, but I've been periodic visitor over the past two decades. Its intimidating at first but you get used to it.

I also have two cats to move as well. I'm probably going to have to arrange for pet shipment once we get settled because i am hoping not to drive them cross country

No, but I've been periodic visitor over the past two decades. Its intimidating at first but you get used to it.

I might have to pick your brain about places to live and how you're doing your move (that is if the heavens open up and angels sing and Columbia picks me).

~ m

We went the route of UNC last year - it wasn't the greatest fit, but there was someone he could work with. Please don't take this as a guaranteed negative response for any of you applying to UNC (especially since his department is anthropology) UNC was hit very hard economically. He was told by the department chair that traditionally the Anthro department takes 15 grad students a year (split up among the sub disciplines) He would have made the cut in 2009, but the cut their number of acceptances to 5 - only 1 in archaeology (his sub discipline). I'm hoping things have improved for the school - it's a nice area. On the flip side - that rejection is what sent us here. This program is an amazing fit and we love the neighborhood we found. He loves his department and has been told with his pre existing master's and involvement with the department he shouldn't have any problems. with that said the waiting has been torture...and we're still waiting.

For him it's the idea of having to pack us up and move again because something kept him from getting in. Logic and all signs point to an acceptance, but until you have the letter or email in hand, it's hard to trust the positive feelins. Ya know?

I wish ALL of you amazing luck and hold just a bit for ourselves. Go MSU! BTW - anyone know anything from them yet?

I just wanted to cheer you on for the Anthro dept at UNC. I had some contact there last summer as I fellowed in an unrelated program. The dept grew very fast in the past five years or so and were kind of blind-sided. However, I met some incredible scholars there that are trying to do the best they can by the students. I'll keep hope alive for you guys. Worse case scenario you guys seem happy in the are -- Chapel Hill is the awesomeness -- and it sounds like your DH did all the right things.

Edited by coyabean

When are folks planning to move? If we are going someplace where we will be living off campus, I wonder if it is a better idea to move in June or July, when housing selection might be better?

Loving that change to your sig, captiv8ed. :D

I might have to pick your brain about places to live and how you're doing your move (that is if the heavens open up and angels sing and Columbia picks me).

~ m

Sure thing. BTW, if your goal is NYC as an area, have you considered other schools too? Not sure about if they have your program, what their rankings are or how they stack up, but there is also the CUNY system and NYU while Rutgers is relatively close by in NJ (not exactly near the city but def closer than your other schools.)

As for Captiv8d's question, we're hoping to move July/August. June is too soon, job-wise

Sure thing. BTW, if your goal is NYC as an area, have you considered other schools too? Not sure about if they have your program, what their rankings are or how they stack up, but there is also the CUNY system and NYU while Rutgers is relatively close by in NJ (not exactly near the city but def closer than your other schools.)

I applied to Cornell (upstate NY), but honestly felt like anywhere around NYC was such a huge thing to ask of my family already. Columbia is a loooong shot for me. I'll probably pee my pants if I get in there or lose control of other functions.tongue.gif I'm really hoping for Bloomington because my dad lives 45 minutes north of there. My boys adore him. So it'd be good all around. AND my DH just got a line on a job in Indy. So... maybe everything will fall into place. I'd be thrilled with any of these programs, but I know that Bloomington and Chapel Hill would be the easiest moves for my kids, which is fine. I will factor them into this decision throughout the process. I'm starting to lose hope for Chapel Hill today though. Another person posted that they'd been accepted for English. That makes 4 just on this board unsure.gif .

~ m

So we've figured out the next two years, at least. I'm sure that I'll be wishing this "tribe" was still around then when I am dealing with moving a family! Best of luck to all of you!

As a moderator, I will probably be here in a couple of years...or you can always contact me via my blog, which I intend to keep up and running through my grad school years (at least). I may have to rename it after that, though.

Branwen: Yes, children + spouse + pets = pandemonium. I have a jack russell/beagle mix in addition to the human family, and it's just one more thing to worry about. He's in doggie school right now so that he can avoid terrifying potential landlords. I was looking at schools in Britain and Ireland, but between quarantine for the pup, a different educational system for the peanut, and scary health insurance issues, I had to cross them off my list. I don't envy you - that's a big move! But welcome back to the diaspora :D

Captiv8ed: I hadn't thought of that. Now I've one more thing to worry about!:o

~ m

feel free to pick mine as well. I lived in NYC for three and a half years (although it was ten years ago hahaha, but I know where the best Barnes & Noble in the city is)

Branwen: Yes, children + spouse + pets = pandemonium. I have a jack russell/beagle mix in addition to the human family, and it's just one more thing to worry about. He's in doggie school right now so that he can avoid terrifying potential landlords. I was looking at schools in Britain and Ireland, but between quarantine for the pup, a different educational system for the peanut, and scary health insurance issues, I had to cross them off my list. I don't envy you - that's a big move! But welcome back to the diaspora :D

Captiv8ed: I hadn't thought of that. Now I've one more thing to worry about!:o

Yah, Luna (my pup) is first in line for obedience school ASAP prepping for this move. She's a sweetheart, and overall she's a good girl but she's a golden retriever / Samoyed mix, with a whoooooole lot of energy and a fondness for people's crotches (embarrassing :o). I'll have to get her to NOT run up to people that come into my house and sniff...

Quarantine issues are also why UK is a long shot for me. I just can't imagine leaving the babies behind, and no way can I afford UK's quarantine facilities...

And thanks for the welcome. I especially missed the chinese food in the diaspora... (and the Barnes & Nobles)