Internationals

Crystalizedjade

I know that many factors affect your acceptance to a PhD program like scores, research experience, etc. But the case is somewhat different for internationals, right? I mean, I hear some schools have an international "quota" or that other unis look at us the same as domestics. I, for example, was unable to get ANY research experience in my field (cognitive neuroscience); that would make me look bad if I were American, I guess. But in my case, this is true simply because no academic institution in my country owns an fMRI machine (or even a PET scanner). I wrote that in my SOP and I hope schools take it into consideration, but I don't know. I have research experience (6 months as an RA in marine bio, worked a bit on social psych, and my MA thesis work).

Everyone talks about being a good "fit". I interpret that as whether or not I *want* to do research the POI is doing, because there is no way I could have experience in that field so it sucks. You guys in the states are really lucky. At least you have the opportunity to work during or after undergrad in research labs in the field you want to work in. I'm finishing my MA in spring and if I stay here, there is no way I could improve my application because there is no way I'd have access to psych research labs because they don't exist lol.

Any other internationals in this forum feeling my pain? :P

Peace and love to all! ;)

not all phd wannabes have research experience. lots of liberal arts colleges don't have research professors, implies that most of their smart students don't get access to research facilities.

this is an interesting thread. well, the majority of my research experience came from the community at a mental health hospital and a childrens hospital i worked with a clinican there........sooo if your a big research keener like me and can't get expereince at labs on campus then there are others places to look

i think the gre for internationals is another thing, i know i had alot fo trouble with it i think mainly because i coudlnt wrap my head around a standardized test for grad school and on topics that weren't relevant to what i wanted to do, iheard your not supposed to study for IQ tests also that iq tests don't show any research potential

one ofmy profs told me american people are more into it because they took the SATS to get into uni so they are trained/edcucated to take tests whereas peopel from other areas arent, also found it biased as some questions were not in the same metric system and referenced american political/ historicla things.......

this is an interesting thread. well, the majority of my research experience came from the community at a mental health hospital and a childrens hospital i worked with a clinican there........sooo if your a big research keener like me and can't get expereince at labs on campus then there are others places to look

i think the gre for internationals is another thing, i know i had alot fo trouble with it i think mainly because i coudlnt wrap my head around a standardized test for grad school and on topics that weren't relevant to what i wanted to do, iheard your not supposed to study for IQ tests also that iq tests don't show any research potential

one ofmy profs told me american people are more into it because they took the SATS to get into uni so they are trained/edcucated to take tests whereas peopel from other areas arent, also found it biased as some questions were not in the same metric system and referenced american political/ historicla things.......

I wish I could have gotten experience at a hospital, but in my uni, you aren't allowed to work with clinicians if you are an undergrad. Argh, no I totally get where you are coming from. I was supposed to be part of a research study using a thermal scanner, but the person providing the scanner lied to the POI so the research fell through. Ridiculous right?

The GRE is a ridiculous concept. It only tests how good a test-taker you are...but I knew that it would make a difference so I studied my ass off.

I'm an international from Southeast Asia, and completely empathize. It was quite challenging to get research experience, especially in my areas of interest because (1) my country is small so there's just less opportunities for research in general; (2) fields like engineering and bioscience are valued much more than psychology (which is considered "soft"); and (3) I was part of the first intake of psychology students in my university and it took forever for projects to get going because the infrastructure (lab space and paperwork) wasn't in place.

Still, I figure that even if a POI or ad-com understands that access to research may be more difficult for us, it does make sense for them to accept someone that has demonstrated experience their stated area of interest, all else being equal. So I guess we can just try to get whatever experience we can get and hope for the best!

I'm an international from Southeast Asia, and completely empathize. It was quite challenging to get research experience, especially in my areas of interest because (1) my country is small so there's just less opportunities for research in general; (2) fields like engineering and bioscience are valued much more than psychology (which is considered "soft"); and (3) I was part of the first intake of psychology students in my university and it took forever for projects to get going because the infrastructure (lab space and paperwork) wasn't in place.

Still, I figure that even if a POI or ad-com understands that access to research may be more difficult for us, it does make sense for them to accept someone that has demonstrated experience their stated area of interest, all else being equal. So I guess we can just try to get whatever experience we can get and hope for the best!

I hope so! Good luck to you!

• 4 weeks later...

I hope so! Good luck to you!

I'm a Brit but have been in the states for a while and received my BA from a US University. In general I'm lumped together with US citizens because I have a green card. I would like to think that my exposure to other cultures (I'm a social psych applicant) made available to me by living in the UK and traveling Europe makes me stand out but then again everyone has something that makes them stand out don't they? As for the research question I'm afraid I'm no help since I picked up work as a research assistant for the past year to help boost my research experience.