So begins the waiting

UndraftedFreeAgent

I've actually heard that some poli science programs get back to people in late january, gee is it almost time?

My understanding is that a few programs will get back to some applicants in late January, but for the most part acceptances and rejections begin going out in waves starting in early/mid February.

I know Stanford has started looking at apps, but the rest of the schools I applied to have either not given me a time table or have said that they will begin in late January.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First post here!

I'm going nuts waiting. Even though -- don't kill me -- I'm one of those science people and got one interview invitation already. That's incredibly awesome and all, but I applied to nine schools, so I just wanna KNOW!

Got back from holiday vacation this week and picked up my accumulated mail at the post office. There was a big Priority Mail envelope in the pile, and I started freaking out thinking it might be a package from one of my schools... but no, for some reason Verizon just felt the need to Priority Mail me some advertisements.

Good luck to everyone... might I recommend a yoga class or a massage to help you de-stress as you wait this out?

Science girl- you have no room to talk ;).

So far I have employed the following coping strategies:

1) looking up pictures of potential cities (even ones to which I have been)

2) looking at cost of living, neighborhoods, and other stats for my top city choices

3) looking at the sweet apts. that I could rent/buy for the same price as my current place if I relocate to the Midwest

4) looking at the rat holes that I will have to live in while I sip on ramen broth by candlelight if I am accepted to a NYC school

5) "shopping" for bikes on craigslist

I enjoyed number 4, as I am in a similar boat - NYU is my top choice school. Out apartment in Boston is so small; I can't imagine fitting into an "affordable" apartment in NY. At least we have a cat who is good at catching mice and bugs.

That's so funny. I've been lookig up pictures, checking apartments, and calculating commute times/checking public transit quality, too.

Another good thing about cats is that they seem to know when you're stressing out over stupid things. They either do something completely ridonkulous to make you laugh, or come and give you a kitty hug to make things better.

Someone is earning his treats this month!

Heads up to the Poli Sci people that applied to UT Austin. I have been emailing with the department secretary and apparently the committee will start reviewing apps referred from GIAC on 1/22. Doesn't it feel crazy to know the actual day that we will all begin to be "reviewed"? Since the 22nd is on a Wednesday, heres hoping they hold off on mine until the 24th, lol! :)

Another convert to the friday evaluation theory of success! Huzzah!

I wonder when my adcoms start sorting and tossing. I don't dare bug the secretaries any more, as they've been very pleasant and helpful up till now (yay for applying mainly in the Midwest!). I don't want to turn that switch that makes them dread the sound of my voice.

You know it's those ladies who really run the departments.

Heads up to the Poli Sci people that applied to UT Austin. I have been emailing with the department secretary and apparently the committee will start reviewing apps referred from GIAC on 1/22. Doesn't it feel crazy to know the actual day that we will all begin to be "reviewed"? Since the 22nd is on a Wednesday, heres hoping they hold off on mine until the 24th, lol! :)

Yeah, she sent a heads up to me too. Stanford starting reviewing last Saturday and Wisconsin-Madison starts around the same time as Texas. I haven't heard from any other departments, but I'm betting that pretty much everyone will have started by the last week of January.

Check this out, the example in wordnet's definition of crapshoot:

crapshoot

noun

1. a risky and uncertain venture; "getting admitted to the college of your choice has become a crapshoot"

Priceless. The scatological undertones of the word also seem to have unique relevance to the process of graduate admissions.

1) looking up pictures of potential cities (even ones to which I have been)

2) looking at cost of living, neighborhoods, and other stats for my top city choices

3) looking at the sweet apts. that I could rent/buy for the same price as my current place if I relocate to the Midwest

4) looking at the rat holes that I will have to live in while I sip on ramen broth by candlelight if I am accepted to a NYC school

5) "shopping" for bikes on craigslist

I like your coping strategies. Personally I just browse the craigslist of a couple of cities. Mostly I'm avoiding even doing that because I'm worried about jinxing things (note: I don't have high hopes/expectations of getting in ANYWHERE). Luckily I didn't apply anywhere with an outrageous cost of living. If I do get in with funding, I can actually live by myself for once, get some dogs, and live the life I've always dreamed of.

You dream about dogs, Britt? That's kinda odd. ;)

I haven't been to craigslist for my cities yet, but I guess I going to now. You've all just enabled me; even more hours of my life are soon to be wasted, pining over the new cities and programs I could be attending this autumn.

Hey, I'm eagerly anticipating the possibility of getting a dog once I find out where I'll be going.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. I just need to know where/when I'm moving so I can adopt a lovely dog and move with him/her.

Another convert to the friday evaluation theory of success! Huzzah!

I wonder when my adcoms start sorting and tossing. I don't dare bug the secretaries any more, as they've been very pleasant and helpful up till now (yay for applying mainly in the Midwest!). I don't want to turn that switch that makes them dread the sound of my voice.

You know it's those ladies who really run the departments.

Well I read a brilliant theory, I can't help myself!

I just hope that Friday doesn't go the other way too. Like "Geesh, I wanna get out of here already, let's just get it over with".

That wouldn't make me smile.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. I just need to know where/when I'm moving so I can adopt a lovely dog and move with him/her.

My SO and I just got a dog over the summer; we adopted a wiemaraner. Here is my advice: adopt a dog! He is a sweet boy and he keeps me great company when I am writing alone. Plus, as one person noted, they don't judge you and love you nearly unconditionally--all you have to do is bring them food.

[Here is my advice: adopt a dog! He is a sweet boy and he keeps me great company when I am writing alone. Plus, as one person noted, they don't judge you and love you nearly unconditionally--all you have to do is bring them food.

Oh, I already know I'm going to adopt. It'll likely be a dog from a kill animal shelter so I can save a life. I currently foster dogs, though I'm dog-less at the moment and it's making me lonely. I may get a new foster dog soon though. *fingers crossed*

Ooh! I'm game for this one:

-I keep avoiding telling people where I applied, for fear that I might jinx it.

-When I'm talking about my own experience applying to grad schools two years ago, I always preface like an addict who is too ashamed to admit the problem is his own - "I have this friend who..."

-I feel that if I don't check the "Rate My Chances" section at Applycorner every day, my ratings will go down, and that will have an inexplicable effect on the reality of the situation (with which Applycorner has decidedly nothing to do).

-I have formulated a system of graduate school karma in my head, which makes it necessary to help people - even my direct competitors - on forums, or when having conversations in real life. This trait is extremely annoying, as some of these people might take my advice and beat me out of a program because of it.

*delurk*

How about:

*lurking on thegradcafe forum so that you can see if others are as suddenly concerned about the possibility of developing an ulcer

*comparing your GREs and GPAs to all of the applicants listed on last year's Applycorner--even though you know that your SOP, LORs, and writing sample(s) will make or break your app

*wondering why you feel like a character in a very early Saul Bellow novel

*calculating, precisely, what the last person who rated your chances on Applycorner gave you, and then wondering if they could somehow email you a little optimism

*when you should be enjoying a simple football game, you find yourself thinking more about how much you'll hate/love the weather there

*when you phone your parents, you spend 15 minutes telling your father about the existential ramifications of the application process before you realize that you'd forgotten to say hello and ask how his week has been

*you email one of your referees with a tale of your prowess (or lack thereof) as a plumber

*you suddenly discover a hitherto unrealized passion for herbal tea