Who Are You Waiting For?

Victorianna

Acceptances  

101 members have voted

1. 1. How acceptances have you received?

• More than 5
  2. 2. How many rejections have you received?

• More than 5
  3. 3. How many waitlists have you received?

• More than 5

Probably just a function of being in the DC area and having lots of people with real jobs in government/policy/NGO work doing a MA in history as part of their professional training. I heard once that George Mason has graduated more people with grad degrees in history in the past decade than any other school in the country, most of those being folks doing MAs while working in DC. Perhaps Maryland is making a similar push for that market to draw in some funds which could be a good thing for PhD apps.

Edited by TMNT

Probably just a function of being in the DC area and having lots of people with real jobs in government/policy/NGO work doing a MA in history as part of their professional training. I heard once that George Mason has graduated more people with grad degrees in history in the past decade than any other school in the country, most of those being folks doing MAs while working in DC. Perhaps Maryland is making a similar push for that market to draw in some funds which could be a good thing for PhD apps.

I certainly hope that's the case. Because if it's supposed to reflect trends in application numbers, I must say this is a crazy season for application.

I know that last season, application numbers went up by around 10-20%. But 800 applications???

• 2 weeks later...

I called Boston College today, and the person I spoke with said the decision letters should go out this week.

Thanks for the update! I'm waiting (to be rejected) from them so that I can finally make a decision about where I'm going. I don't know if it is funny or sad, but before admissions season I was something of an optimist

Thanks for the update! I'm waiting (to be rejected) from them so that I can finally make a decision about where I'm going. I don't know if it is funny or sad, but before admissions season I was something of an optimist

In the beginning, I was completely confident that, though my GRE suggested I was in need to help that they would see my GPA, writing samples, resume, and LORs and take a chance on me. Turns out I was wrong. However, the only school I truly loved hasn't said a word to me yet. I had great conversations with Temple, and early, too. I just pray that they give me the opportunity. Man, I'm all sentimental and full of hope -- at least until I hear otherwise!

In the beginning, I was completely confident that, though my GRE suggested I was in need to help that they would see my GPA, writing samples, resume, and LORs and take a chance on me. Turns out I was wrong. However, the only school I truly loved hasn't said a word to me yet. I had great conversations with Temple, and early, too. I just pray that they give me the opportunity. Man, I'm all sentimental and full of hope -- at least until I hear otherwise!

Keep the faith, Rachel, I am sure you'll hear good news from Temple soon! I looked at Temple, but since David Farber seemed the only person on they faculty there with similar interests, I had to look elsewhere. Good luck to you.

<br />In the beginning, I was completely confident that, though my GRE suggested I was in need to help that they would see my GPA, writing samples, resume, and LORs and take a chance on me. Turns out I was wrong. However, the only school I truly loved hasn't said a word to me yet. I had great conversations with Temple, and early, too. I just pray that they give me the opportunity. Man, I'm all sentimental and full of hope -- at least until I hear otherwise!<br />
<br /><br /><br />

If it doesn't work out this year, don't worry. I did not get in anywhere last year, but have had a lot more luck this year (and it has been even tougher this year. One school I applied to the past two year fifty more applicants and accepted less people). After taking the kaplan course my GRE went up 140 pts. to where both sections were in the 90 %+ range. Another year can be gift to shore up any rough edges. I also won an essay contest in the meantime, so send stuff out. If you have a history of medicine essay, the W. Curtis Worthington Prize at the Waring Historical Library is a good one (Google the library), it pays 1500$ and comes with a publication. Last year I had nowhere, this year I have been offered 3 assist.s at PhD programs. It sucks now, but it will feel awesome when you have a bidding war over you, because you had all the time in the world to make the best application. Good luck though with Temple ( I got a Grad fellowship last week and assistantship this weekend), people are still sending out acceptances!