I'm also being driven nuts...I scoured my web app once I saw the rejection, but nothing. I'm a C, so I don't think it's alphabetical, but it seems like there are too many of us to take it as an indication of still-in-the-running...I vote for "they're just messing with our heads out of the cold icy depths of their hearts."

I'm also being driven nuts...I scoured my web app once I saw the rejection, but nothing. I'm a C, so I don't think it's alphabetical, but it seems like there are too many of us to take it as an indication of still-in-the-running...I vote for "they're just messing with our heads out of the cold icy depths of their hearts."

LOL!!

I doubt I'm in the running. I really do. In fact, if I get an acceptance now, I'll scream with frustration. It would be a bad idea to start this fall for a number of reasons, but I doubt I would have the mental and emotional strength to refuse UVA, Brown, or Cornell. I've already lined up the next year and a half with other stuff (two terrific and high paying jobs, private students, Latin classes starting October, revising writing sample over the summer, and finding schools with best fit for 2011), and am actually LOOKING FORWARD to going through the process properly, rather than haphazardly (as happened this year. One should never decide to apply to grad school at the last minute).

Yes. I'm weird. *sigh*

Just so's you all know, I haven't received any word yet either, which would lead me to agree with madhousefluent's "too many of us to still be in the running" assessment. I'm guessing there's *some* method behind the madness. Then again I was rejected by UT-Austin a full two weeks before anyone else was (I think it was about 15 seconds after I submitted my application), so maybe some of these schools determine rejections in rounds. Or maybe they're just taking handfulls of rejections, sending off the bad news emails, taking a coffee break, and then repeating the process. I've heard they had loads of applications this year, so it's bound to take time to get back to everyone. I'm anticipating that the inevitable will arrive later this evening or early tomorrow...

Sure enough, the decision has shown up on the website. I didn't receive an email prompting me to check, although I assume I will at some point. Those of you who are still waiting might check again. The decision link is at the very bottom, under the verification of your application materials. This is not a surprise at all, and I'm glad to have closure! Good luck to those of you who got in!

The decision link is at the very bottom, under the verification of your application materials.

This is on the "apply yourself" application page, right?

I'm seeing nothing right now and now I'm getting paranoid that something happened to my application. I should call but... I don't wanna.

Does anyone else have this:

*Please be aware that your application status will remain "incomplete" even if all required materials have been submitted and received by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

?

I'm seeing nothing right now and now I'm getting paranoid that something happened to my application. I should call but... I don't wanna.

*Please be aware that your application status will remain "incomplete" even if all required materials have been submitted and received by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

?

I just checked, and I have the "incomplete" message on my application, as well, and I've been admitted. In fact, apart from receiving a phone call from the English Dept., I would have absolutely no way of knowing whether I'd gotten in or not, so I'd say it's not something to read much into.

My guess is, as one poster above noted, the department is doing things in stages. It ain't over 'til it's over.

Edited by EcceQuamBonum

I just checked, and I have the "incomplete" message on my application, as well, and I've been admitted. In fact, apart from receiving a phone call from the English Dept., I would have absolutely no way of knowing whether I'd gotten in or not, so I'd say it's not something to read much into.

My guess is, as one poster above noted, the department is doing things in stages. It ain't over 'til it's over.

All right - thanks for the info. Congratulations on the admit also.

?

Yes, it's on the apply yourself page. If you've been rejected, the admission decision will show up *below* the message about your status, at the very bottom of the page. If I remember correctly, it was in a red font. Emergency, you've been rejected! And I definitely wouldn't be paranoid. It seems to me they're moving through the rejections slowly but surely. And if you don't hear anything in the next day or so, you might have made a wait list. No reason to panic.

Blah, got my rejection. So far I'm sitting on one acceptance and three rejections (plus one implicit one). I'm really happy with my acceptance school, but my pride would like to turn down someone! I hope the rest of you still waiting are on a sexy waitlist.

Blah, got my rejection. So far I'm sitting on one acceptance and three rejections (plus one implicit one). I'm really happy with my acceptance school, but my pride would like to turn down someone! I hope the rest of you still waiting are on a sexy waitlist.

Bummer Venetia!

still keeping my fingers crossed for those who haven't heard.

Does anyone else think it's strange how, according to the results page, no less than two people have emailed the department to ask about the decision timeline and have gotten rejections in return? As another poster on the page noted, that must mean they have a bunch of rejections they are just sitting on, right? I'm tempted to email them as well, but I find the concept of soliciting my own rejection a bit repellent. And plus, I have a paranoid fear that they are just sending out rejections to anyone who inquires. They're the last school I am waiting to hear from aside from the program where I'm on a waitlist that I really, really care about, and I guess I kind of want to hold out hope of at least a waitlist as long as possible. But I do wish they would notify if they know. The fact that they haven't sent out rejections must mean there are some decisions still pending, right? What do y'all think? I guess I'm just looking for speculation and theories on what the method behind this madness is.

Edited by intextrovert

Does anyone else think it's strange how, according to the results page, no less than two people have emailed the department to ask about the decision timeline and have gotten rejections in return? As another poster on the page noted, that must mean they have a bunch of rejections they are just sitting on, right? I'm tempted to email them as well, but I find the concept of soliciting my own rejection a bit repellent. And plus, I have a paranoid fear that they are just sending out rejections to anyone who inquires. They're the last school I applied to aside from the program where I'm on a waitlist that I really, really care about, and I guess I kind of want to hold out hope of at least a waitlist as long as possible. But I do wish they would notify if they know. The fact that they haven't sent out rejections must mean there are some decisions still pending, right? What do y'all think? I guess I'm just looking for speculation and theories on what the method behind this madness is.

I emailed them on Monday and was told that some applications are still under review. The program secretary sent my inquiry to the DGA--still no word from him two days later so I guess I'm not out of the running just yet. I hope that helps =)

I emailed them on Monday and was told that some applications are still under review. The program secretary sent my inquiry to the DGA--still no word from him two days later so I guess I'm not out of the running just yet. I hope that helps =)

It does - thank you! Oh man, though, I'm still terrified to email, but maybe I should just to know one way or the other. I just hope they figure it out and let us know soon!

It does - thank you! Oh man, though, I'm still terrified to email, but maybe I should just to know one way or the other. I just hope they figure it out and let us know soon!

I haven't heard from UVA yet either. I don't know what to make of it. I'm pretty sure I've been rejected, but what is TAKING THEM SO LONG??? I haven't heard from Cornell, either (although Cornell is mailing by post - so that reject letter may be waiting in my mailbox... I should go pick up my mail today anyhow... LOL).

I haven't heard from UVA yet either. I don't know what to make of it. I'm pretty sure I've been rejected, but what is TAKING THEM SO LONG??? I haven't heard from Cornell, either (although Cornell is mailing by post - so that reject letter may be waiting in my mailbox... I should go pick up my mail today anyhow... LOL).

You may be on a waitlist...you never know!:)

Has anyone heard anything from Virginia lately? I know several people have mentioned that applications are still under review, though there are some acceptances/rejections up on the results page. I am going to assume it's an implicit rejection for me.

I, too, caved, and was notified that I've been placed on the waitlist. I get the feeling that it might be a long one, so I'm afraid to be optimistic. But I would LOVE to go to UVa - such a great program and lovely place. Anyone have any info on the waitlist? Or want to commiserate with me in Limbo? I'm waitlisted at 2 programs and for first-year funding at the third.