2018 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

blc073

I am currently working as a project assistant at BEER lab, NCBS, Bangalore. 

Undergrad Institution: St. Joseph's College, Bangalore University, Bangalore

Major(s): Chemistry, Environmental Science, Zoology

GPA in Major: 8.4/10

Position in Class: Top 5%

Graduate institution: TERI University, New Delhi

Major: Environmental Studies and Resource Management

GPA in Major: 8.5/10

Position in class: Top 10%

Major project thesis title: Activity time budget of Indian Cabbage White (Pieris canidia) butterfly across an elevational gradient in Himachal Pradesh, India (manuscript in prep)

Type of Student: Male international

Research Experience:

• 1.5 years as a project assistant at BEER lab, NCBS, Bangalore working on the chemical ecology of plant-insect interactions. Won the best speaker award at Student Conference on Conservation Science (SCCS Bangalore, 2017). 

Applied for: PhD in Biology (Specialization: Ecology and Evolutionary Biology)

Applied at: University of Arkansas (Accepted), Virginia Tech, University of Nevada, UMass, Amherst (Rejected), Northwestern University (Rejected).

21 hours ago, StemCellFan said:

2.  Coursework is probably the least important factor for choosing a program since I don't see it as that important.  The only classes I care about is probably a grant writing course and maybe an ethics course.  I would probably go with the one that's either more flexible or doesn't have a lot of coursework I'm required to take.

Hi! Would you be able to expand on this some more? I’ve heard this point from others as well, but I don’t fully understand why it’s the case. Isn’t the coursework the foundation for learning new techniques in depth before applying them?  I know most of your time in a PhD will be researching, but are you expected to self-teach relevant skills like biostats, vs applying these skills after coursework training?

43 minutes ago, Gopher29 said:

Hi! Would you be able to expand on this some more? I’ve heard this point from others as well, but I don’t fully understand why it’s the case. Isn’t the coursework the foundation for learning new techniques in depth before applying them?  I know most of your time in a PhD will be researching, but are you expected to self-teach relevant skills like biostats, vs applying these skills after coursework training?

The relatively small amount of time doing coursework on topics that aren't related to the most likely very small subsection of biology you do is why coursework should be a secondary factor. You will(should) learn more from PI/Postdocs/Lab work and from your individual reading than you will from your class work. Coursework can lay the foundation for an area you are weak in, have no experience in if you are shifting into a new topic area (like trying to join a lab that does Immunology, but you have no background in Immuno), or give you a deeper understanding of topics that you have already been exposed to in undergraduate biology but by no means have I been in a course were the concepts are totally new. It's just a deeper understanding of basic concepts being taught.

I wouldn't follow this quote 100% but I was told to "get the lowest possible passing grade for your coursework". Why? because if you are spending all your time studying for courses, you most likely aren't spending enough time in the lab doing research and learning hands on. That being said, If you are trying to be competitive for grants GPA is a factor so don't tank anything. Find the balance that offers you an understanding of your coursework without causing a deficit to your lab work. At the end of the day its what you produce at the bench/computer that will speak volumes not the fact that you got an A in a 1st-year cell biology course.

2 hours ago, Gopher29 said:

Biostatistics is an exception, but for common laboratory techniques I've found it more helpful to either learn it from a lab mate or collaborator who is well-versed in it or self-teach myself the necessary background information for it (either from textbook or a publication on the protocol) before applying it.  As I'm learning on my own or with the help of a lab mate or collaborator, I'll take notes.  But taking a "techniques course" covering techniques that I may never use or may not use until 4 or 5 years from now isn't all that helpful to me.  I'm a hands-on learner in the lab, but everyone's mileage may vary.  Say I get a protocol from someone on a specific protein purification procedure (An His-tagged protein or something), I'll ask for the reagents I need or a buffer list, follow the protocol, and from there look up what these buffers are specifically doing on my own time.

Some programs I've seen use coursework in the first year to weed out students or get everyone up to speed with a general molecular and cellular biology, but as a tech, I've been applying these principles to my research already and learning the information I need as I go.  So I guess a class covering the central dogma in depth isn't something I see as particularly useful at this point.

During my interviews I asked how the classes are structured and how they are taught.  I've found that some require a lot of memorization (i.e. know the glycolysis pathway like the back of your hand) and others are more discussion-like where the class reads peer-reviewed journals coupled with the week's topic and discuss them.  Exams were also structured in a way that you have to devise experiments to attack a question.  You are there to do research, and I think too much coursework or a focus on it can detract from it.  If I go in wanting to learn cell signaling pathways, specifically g-protein coupled receptors and their downstream signaling cascades as they relate to my transcription factor of interest, I'm not going to be as concerned about the glycolysis pathway I had to memorize in my first year biochemistry class.

These are only my preferences though.  Some students may really enjoy the classes and want more instruction.

Edited by StemCellFan

Hi all, I'm really stuck between Harvard and Mount Sinai and desperate for help deciding. Both schools are strong in virology, the field I'm going into. 

Research: Both Sinai and Harvard are top places to go for virology. Sinai is a closer fit for what I’m currently interested in (RNA viruses), which Harvard has less of. However Harvard has a broader range of virology research and I’m wondering if that might be better.

Faculty Choices: There’s is a professor I reallyyy want to work with at Sinai, whom I’ve already contacted and has confirmed he is taking students and would love to have me in his lab. Beyond this professor there are at least 3 others I would be interested in working with and who seem like they would be good mentors. I didn’t click with any particular professor at Harvard, but there are at least 10 who I would be interested in, if not more. These professors have a broader range of interests and I would probably be exposed to a variety of subfields in virology during my rotations.

NIH funding: Harvard ranks first in NIH funding for microbiology departments, but has fewer individual faculty who rank near the top for NIH money. Sinai ranks fourth for NIH microbiology funding, and they have a much smaller microbiology department which is entirely virology focused. Several faculty rank extremely high in NIH funding.

Program Structure: Harvard has relatively strict structure, but the core courses are virology focused, which I would actually like. Sinai has few required courses and a much more open structure. The administration at Harvard seems fairly disorganized compared to other grad programs. Neither school has required TAing, but both have the option to.

Community: Harvard absolutely takes the cake in this category. I really clicked with the other students and recruits, and the community is super tight-knit, supportive, and fun. I would be really sad not to go to school with this crew. I’m sure Sinai has a good sense of community as well, I just didn’t click as much with other recruits and didn’t interact as much with grad students because of the interview structure.

Location/ Housing: really like New York and could see myself living there. While the upside is that housing is super affordable because it’s subsidized at Sinai, the downside is that means living in an apartment-style dorm for 5-6 years. I’ve spent less time in Boston/Cambridge than New York, but it seems like a really cool city. Another thing I like about Harvard is that whereas Sinai is a graduate/ medical institution only, at Harvard I would still be able to interact with/ be exposed to all kinds of academia.

Prestige: Does this matter? Harvard has the fancy name-brand, but Sinai is also really well-regarded in the field of virology. 

VERY STUCK PLZ HELP

1 hour ago, StemCellFan said:

Biostatistics is an exception, but for common laboratory techniques I've found it more helpful to either learn it from a lab mate or collaborator who is well-versed in it or self-teach myself the necessary background information for it (either from textbook or a publication on the protocol) before applying it.  As I'm learning on my own or with the help of a lab mate or collaborator, I'll take notes.  But taking a "techniques course" covering techniques that I may never use or may not use until 4 or 5 years from now isn't all that helpful to me.  I'm a hands-on learner in the lab, but everyone's mileage may vary.  Say I get a protocol from someone on a specific protein purification procedure (An His-tagged protein or something), I'll ask for the reagents I need or a buffer list, follow the protocol, and from there look up what these buffers are specifically doing on my own time.

Some programs I've seen use coursework in the first year to weed out students or get everyone up to speed with a general molecular and cellular biology, but as a tech, I've been applying these principles to my research already and learning the information I need as I go.  So I guess a class covering the central dogma in depth isn't something I see as particularly useful at this point.

During my interviews I asked how the classes are structured and how they are taught.  I've found that some require a lot of memorization (i.e. know the glycolysis pathway like the back of your hand) and others are more discussion-like where the class reads peer-reviewed journals coupled with the week's topic and discuss them.  Exams were also structured in a way that you have to devise experiments to attack a question.  You are there to do research, and I think too much coursework or a focus on it can detract from it.  If I go in wanting to learn cell signaling pathways, specifically g-protein coupled receptors and their downstream signaling cascades as they relate to my transcription factor of interest, I'm not going to be as concerned about the glycolysis pathway I had to memorize in my first year biochemistry class.

These are only my preferences though.  Some students may really enjoy the classes and want more instruction.

That’s an excellent point, I hadn’t considered that most of your skill building will be from the work you’re actually doing, vs learning theories in class. To that end, do you feel that the specific area of life science you get your PhD in (say, genetics vs cell biology, etc) is that critical?  Or is it ultimately what publications you put out and what skill set you gain.   Particularity for industry. Thanks ?

8 minutes ago, virology_2018 said:

Hi all, I'm really stuck between Harvard and Mount Sinai and desperate for help deciding. Both schools are strong in virology, the field I'm going into. 

Research: Both Sinai and Harvard are top places to go for virology. Sinai is a closer fit for what I’m currently interested in (RNA viruses), which Harvard has less of. However Harvard has a broader range of virology research and I’m wondering if that might be better.

Faculty Choices: There’s is a professor I reallyyy want to work with at Sinai, whom I’ve already contacted and has confirmed he is taking students and would love to have me in his lab. Beyond this professor there are at least 3 others I would be interested in working with and who seem like they would be good mentors. I didn’t click with any particular professor at Harvard, but there are at least 10 who I would be interested in, if not more. These professors have a broader range of interests and I would probably be exposed to a variety of subfields in virology during my rotations.

NIH funding: Harvard ranks first in NIH funding for microbiology departments, but has fewer individual faculty who rank near the top for NIH money. Sinai ranks fourth for NIH microbiology funding, and they have a much smaller microbiology department which is entirely virology focused. Several faculty rank extremely high in NIH funding.

Program Structure: Harvard has relatively strict structure, but the core courses are virology focused, which I would actually like. Sinai has few required courses and a much more open structure. The administration at Harvard seems fairly disorganized compared to other grad programs. Neither school has required TAing, but both have the option to.

Community: Harvard absolutely takes the cake in this category. I really clicked with the other students and recruits, and the community is super tight-knit, supportive, and fun. I would be really sad not to go to school with this crew. I’m sure Sinai has a good sense of community as well, I just didn’t click as much with other recruits and didn’t interact as much with grad students because of the interview structure.

Location/ Housing: really like New York and could see myself living there. While the upside is that housing is super affordable because it’s subsidized at Sinai, the downside is that means living in an apartment-style dorm for 5-6 years. I’ve spent less time in Boston/Cambridge than New York, but it seems like a really cool city. Another thing I like about Harvard is that whereas Sinai is a graduate/ medical institution only, at Harvard I would still be able to interact with/ be exposed to all kinds of academia.

Prestige: Does this matter? Harvard has the fancy name-brand, but Sinai is also really well-regarded in the field of virology. 

VERY STUCK PLZ HELP

First off - congrats on having so many amazing choices! As far as Harvard and Sinai go, I don't think you could go wrong with either. In my opinion, program structure and NIH funding is kind of a wash, along with maybe even research and faculty choices. I think you would be able to find a lab you are happy in at both schools if you are set on virology.  At this point, it seems like maybe it would be better to choose the school where you see yourself being the happiest. For me, I knew I wanted to prioritize having a separate life outside of grad school because I'm a little older, so I picked the school where I felt I fit in the best with the other graduate students and where I saw myself being able to complete other goals in my life in the next 6 years (buy a house, have a garden, etc). Hope this helps - I truly don't think there is a wrong choice :)

47 minutes ago, virology_2018 said:

VERY STUCK PLZ HELP

Congrats!!  Prestige, outcomes, and research aside I think it's important to pick a program you see yourself happy at.  In my opinion, happiness will trump anything else, unless you can handle being in an environment that's just ok for 5 or 6 years.  I think it's important that you mentioned the community, because what will do you when you are not in the laboratory and focused on research?  I know for me, I need to unwind at some point and I'm social.  So I want to be with a cohort who I get along with.  I also think it's very important to find faculty who are excellent mentors provided you are at least interested in the research they are doing.  You just need to pick up the right skills to succeed in a field you find interesting with an excellent mentor, and that is the key to success.  Out of the two choices, which are both great programs it sounds like, I would be inclined to pick Harvard.  But this is based on factors I prioritized when picking a program.

23 minutes ago, Gopher29 said:

That’s an excellent point, I hadn’t considered that most of your skill building will be from the work you’re actually doing, vs learning theories in class. To that end, do you feel that the specific area of life science you get your PhD in (say, genetics vs cell biology, etc) is that critical?  Or is it ultimately what publications you put out and what skill set you gain.   Particularity for industry. Thanks ?

I don't think the area in which you get your PhD matters--what matters is what you do while you are getting your PhD.  The skills you gain (techniques, problem solving, presentation skills, grant writing, etc) and success of your research (in the form of publications in excellent journals) is what will matter in the end.  Industry, especially, is going to place an emphasis on the laboratory skill set you developed as a student.  It's also important to gain skills in networking as that will help you secure a job after the dissertation!

Edited by StemCellFan

2 hours ago, microbenerd2018 said:

First off - congrats on having so many amazing choices! As far as Harvard and Sinai go, I don't think you could go wrong with either. In my opinion, program structure and NIH funding is kind of a wash, along with maybe even research and faculty choices. I think you would be able to find a lab you are happy in at both schools if you are set on virology.  At this point, it seems like maybe it would be better to choose the school where you see yourself being the happiest. For me, I knew I wanted to prioritize having a separate life outside of grad school because I'm a little older, so I picked the school where I felt I fit in the best with the other graduate students and where I saw myself being able to complete other goals in my life in the next 6 years (buy a house, have a garden, etc). Hope this helps - I truly don't think there is a wrong choice :)

Thanks microbenerd2018! I think you're right that it's important to think about life outside the lab when I'm making a decision

2 hours ago, StemCellFan said:

Congrats!!  Prestige, outcomes, and research aside I think it's important to pick a program you see yourself happy at.  In my opinion, happiness will trump anything else, unless you can handle being in an environment that's just ok for 5 or 6 years.  I think it's important that you mentioned the community, because what will do you when you are not in the laboratory and focused on research?  I know for me, I need to unwind at some point and I'm social.  So I want to be with a cohort who I get along with.  I also think it's very important to find faculty who are excellent mentors provided you are at least interested in the research they are doing.  You just need to pick up the right skills to succeed in a field you find interesting with an excellent mentor, and that is the key to success.  Out of the two choices, which are both great programs it sounds like, I would be inclined to pick Harvard.  But this is based on factors I prioritized when picking a program.

I don't think the area in which you get your PhD matters--what matters is what you do while you are getting your PhD.  The skills you gain (techniques, problem solving, presentation skills, grant writing, etc) and success of your research (in the form of publications in excellent journals) is what will matter in the end.  Industry, especially, is going to place an emphasis on the laboratory skill set you developed as a student.  It's also important to gain skills in networking as that will help you secure a job after the dissertation!

Thanks StemCellFan! This is some helpful advice! I think yeah the community is such a big draw at Harvard, but I am a little nervous about mentorship there for some reason. Despite the many times I've heard not to pick a school for one professor, I'm still inclined to go to Sinai to work with the one professor who I mentioned above. He's doing really cool research, has a great recent track record of mentoring students, and is young and at the beginning of a successful trajectory. Do you think it would be a mistake to let this draw me to Sinai? 

Also I see that you're going to attend Madison, congratulations!! I did my undergrad there and am teching there right now; its such a great place and I hope you love it!

Just got an acceptance from the Molecular and Dev Bio program at UCincinnati and Cincinnati Children's Hospital! It's been my top-choice throughout the process, but I have a lot to think about before committing.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting to hear back or getting ready to decide!

7 hours ago, virology_2018 said:

VERY STUCK PLZ HELP

Hey there! Congrats on having these awesome choices! I'm not anything close to being a virologist, but I do religiously listen to the The Week in Virology podcast and have developed quite an appreciation for viruses from listening while pipetting my own samples :P

This seems like an incredibly tough decision, but I would say when you get to this level, prestige is going to matter much less - your pick should be (at least, this is how I made my decision) where you think you can do your best work, surrounded by the most supportive mentor, lab mates, living environment, and cohort group. I would also say to not worry too much about NYC vs. Boston - both are very cool places to live! I genuinely think there's something for everyone in both of these places. 

I want to bring something up that I think is important to consider, especially since wanting to work with that PI at Sinai makes this choice even more difficult I'd imagine. Do you feel that you could be just as happy in another lab at Sinai? A PI can have a good mentoring track record but not be the right mentor for you, in the end. I also think that there's something to be said for being able to explore your research interests a bit and see if you like another area of Virology even more - perhaps Harvard could be better for that if there are more faculty you're interested in? I say this as someone who has their own specific pet interest and fully intend to continue on in this area in grad school. I ended up choosing between a school with less overall prestige, but some of the best research in an area I'm really interested in (prion disease), vs a slightly more prestigious program with faculty working in less specific areas of neurodegeneration, but with whom I really clicked with. For me, I wasn't 100% set on studying prions, and felt that I would be just as happy working in lab focused on other neurodegenerative diseases, as long as I had a mentor who fit my needs/work style. This is one of the things that really pulled me to Michigan. 

Finally, I want to ask about community - is there any way for you to get to know the social scene among cohorts at Sinai a bit more? Is there a student host or someone you met while there who you could contact? I know I was able to reach out after receiving my offers and ask my student host a bit more about student life on campus and more specific things I was curious about. If this is a possibility for you I would definitely reach out and see if you can get a little bit more info to help base your decision on.

Congrats again! At the end of the day, it sounds like you have strong reasons to attend both schools, and I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you pick! I'm sure we'd all love to know what your decision is (when you make it) :D

On 3/11/2018 at 11:35 AM, jasbee said:

How did you feel you fit in with the current grad students and the other applicants (because a subset of them will be your cohort for 5+ years)?

On 3/11/2018 at 12:42 PM, siliconchins said:

As much as I'd like to tell you to come join me at MIT, it seems from what you're writing that you have already decided that Stanford is a better fit for you. Once you get to a certain point, it doesn't really matter where you go, only that you put out good work. If you feel that the faculty choices, mentoring style, and overall focus of Stanford over MIT, then you should go there. Also keep in mind that people like Bob Weinberg are no longer taking students. 

Since I didn't apply to Stanford and am not too familiar with the program, I can only give my perspective about MIT. From my point of view though, once you get to the level of MIT, Stanford, UCSF, Harvard, etc., you don't really have to worry about prestige. 

On 3/12/2018 at 8:38 AM, StemCellFan said:

Congrats on your acceptances!!  I can only tell you things that stand out to me as I would make my decision.

1.  I'm not all that interested in classroom teaching as much as I am into research and mentorship, and I think a TA would distract me too much.  Therefore I would prefer a program that doesn't have a TA requirement.  Stanford would win for me.

2.  Coursework is probably the least important factor for choosing a program since I don't see it as that important.  The only classes I care about is probably a grant writing course and maybe an ethics course.  I would probably go with the one that's either more flexible or doesn't have a lot of coursework I'm required to take.

3.  Stanford seems like the winner here.  The fact you've started making connections with some of them and building such a good rapport is a good sign!

4.  For this, my inclination is that you want to do your graduate work in a lab with a PI who can provide the right amount of guidance you need.  Some of the powerhouse labs with legendary PIs are very busy and maybe aren't conducive to the mentorship you need to succeed as a grad student.  From what it sounds like here, Stanford is the better pick for your graduate studies, and then moving into one of the legendary PI's labs for your post doc (if that's where you see your career going).

5/6.  Eh, Boston/Cambridge would appeal to me more because of how expensive Palo Alto is and I would like to live off campus.  This would almost be a deal breaker for me, but I prioritized cost of living, location, and stipend compensation over some other factors (and why I didn't even consider applying to anywhere out of the midwest).

7.  I think MIT and Stanford are pretty comparable for prestige.  You can't go wrong with either, really.

Other things to consider is if you fit in with the culture of one program vs another.  Did you get along better with the students at one or the other?  The faculty?  Are you more social or non-social, and would one program give you more opportunities for social events?  Also, does one have better student outcomes than others and can you see yourself having a successful career?  MIT and Stanford are both amazing programs/schools, so I can see students being successful at both.

Thanks @jasbee, @siliconchinsand @StemCellFan for your input! I definitely clicked with the Stanford faculty better, although I really liked the grad students at MIT. (Not that I didn't like the Stanford students though!) This really helped! I think I am going to go with Stanford!

17 hours ago, virology_2018 said:

Thanks microbenerd2018! I think you're right that it's important to think about life outside the lab when I'm making a decision

Thanks StemCellFan! This is some helpful advice! I think yeah the community is such a big draw at Harvard, but I am a little nervous about mentorship there for some reason. Despite the many times I've heard not to pick a school for one professor, I'm still inclined to go to Sinai to work with the one professor who I mentioned above. He's doing really cool research, has a great recent track record of mentoring students, and is young and at the beginning of a successful trajectory. Do you think it would be a mistake to let this draw me to Sinai? 

Also I see that you're going to attend Madison, congratulations!! I did my undergrad there and am teching there right now; its such a great place and I hope you love it!

You're welcome! I also did my undergrad at UW-Madison, too, @StemCellFan :) Madison is the best!! 

18 hours ago, virology_2018 said:

Thanks!!  I can't wait to start at Madison!

I don't think it would be a mistake, but I would make sure there are other professors you are also interested in rotating with while you're at Sinai, and that the prospect of joining these other labs excites you, too.  It's possible that this professor may take on a different student (and therefore not have room in his lab for you).  Another possibility is that during your rotation you'll realize that although he has a great track record for mentoring students, your personalities just do not mesh.  I, personally, wouldn't go somewhere because of a specific PI, but because there are multiple PIs I would love to work with.  Another thing to consider is if you don't join his lab, you could always ask him to be on your committee! 

This may just be me being cautious, but I know that even if the school is prestigious or the lab is one of the best in the field, if the PI and I do not get along, I would be absolutely miserable in my program.  And this will be my life for the next 5-6 years.

Good luck in your decision!

30 minutes ago, microbenerd2018 said:

You're welcome! I also did my undergrad at UW-Madison, too, @StemCellFan :) Madison is the best!! 

Thanks!!  I don't live far from Madison now and have a few friends from high school who went, but I didn't experience the campus until I visited!  I was really impressed with their research,  biomedical sciences and life sciences programs.  I can't wait to start!  Go Badgers! :)

Edited by StemCellFan

Quick opinion question! It's been tough, but I've narrowed it down to Michigan and UPenn (both for neuroscience). They each have their pros and cons that I'm still sorting through, but I was wondering what you guys think about the 'prestige' of the programs. At this level, does the Ivy League 'name' carry significantly more weight than the public midwestern school (even though UM's neuro program is exceptional)? Pretending that the faculty, students, funding, culture, etc was all exactly even, how much does the name of the school actually matter, and if it does, how different are these two?

1 hour ago, SLEEEEEEEEP said:

Quick opinion question! It's been tough, but I've narrowed it down to Michigan and UPenn (both for neuroscience). They each have their pros and cons that I'm still sorting through, but I was wondering what you guys think about the 'prestige' of the programs. At this level, does the Ivy League 'name' carry significantly more weight than the public midwestern school (even though UM's neuro program is exceptional)? Pretending that the faculty, students, funding, culture, etc was all exactly even, how much does the name of the school actually matter, and if it does, how different are these two?

At this level, the Ivy League name does not matter much at all. The success and prestige of individual programs at the universities and individual scientists matter significantly more. In terms of scientific prestige, I would put UPenn and Michigan at the same level as I really don't think you can go wrong with either in terms of science.

4 hours ago, SLEEEEEEEEP said:

If all else are equal you can use location/city to help make your decision. In science, both programs are top notch and well respected in academia. Though, I feel like upenn being an Ivy name will give you more 'prestige' back home. But that's just 'laymans' prestige. As far as other scientists are concerned, both are excellent schools! The reputation of the program/department will hold much more weight to your peers.

Edited by strugglebus2k17

3 hours ago, SLEEEEEEEEP said:

@strugglebus2k17 @BiomedicalPHD Thanks guys! I was assuming the same. Would it make any difference if I threw Yale in there? The caveat being that I really did not like New Haven and I didn't click as well with the faculty or the current students. Yale isn't THAT much better that it would outweigh those huge cons, is it?

Personally, I know that if I did not like a location of a university, then I kinda ruled it out. I'm thinking about my happiness outside of the lab because you will be in a city/town for 5-6 years and will need to find things to do and like the place that you live.  Additionally, if you didn't click with faculty or current students, then that environment may not be for you because you'd probably be dragging yourself out of bed and into lab everyday (which would not be ideal for me). If you didn't like New Haven and didn't click with faculty and students, then I'd personally rule it out. But that's just me...

9 hours ago, SLEEEEEEEEP said:

I think honestly that both are awesome schools. At this level, I'm pretty sure that you can't go wrong. However based on your other comment about Yale, I'd suggest that if you didn't enjoy the location/environment/faculty as much, it's probably not worth attending if you preferred UPenn and UM. The best place you can be for your PhD is where you'll have the best mentor support, lab environment, and support from other students in your cohort. Feel better, work better, and all that jazz.

What area of neuro are you interested in? I'm very tempted to tell you to come join me at Michigan :P - if you have any questions about the midwest/metro Detroit/or the university I'm happy to help! I promise to be as free of bias as possible, since growing up in the area and knowing a lot of current Michigan students I have gotten a LOT of input on my decision, haha. 

Has anybody else NOT heard from UNC BBSP yet after their interview? I think I'm going to accept an offer from a different school, but I feel like I can't move forward until I have all my options on the table. I saw they sent out waitlists but I didn't get one? I sent an email to the coordinator Monday but haven't heard anything and it's driving me nuts lol. 

Edited by microbenerd2018
changed wording

17 minutes ago, microbenerd2018 said:

Has anybody else NOT heard from UNC BBSP yet after their interview? I think I'm going to accept an offer from a different school, but I feel like I can't move forward until I have all my options on the table. I saw they sent out waitlists but I didn't get one? I sent an email to the coordinator Monday but haven't heard anything and it's driving me nuts lol. 

I don't know if this helps, but I haven't heard anything at all from them - no interview, but also no rejection.  I applied to the neuro track.  I don't even care at this point because I've already accepted an offer elsewhere, but I'm just waiting it out because I'm curious about when exactly they're planning on contacting me.  Other people have been inputting rejections on the results page, so you'd think I would have heard something by now.  Not super impressed with this department's communication...

Good luck making your final decision!

11 minutes ago, noisemaker483 said:

I don't know if this helps, but I haven't heard anything at all from them - no interview, but also no rejection.  I applied to the neuro track.  I don't even care at this point because I've already accepted an offer elsewhere, but I'm just waiting it out because I'm curious about when exactly they're planning on contacting me.  Other people have been inputting rejections on the results page, so you'd think I would have heard something by now.  Not super impressed with this department's communication...

Good luck making your final decision!

That is so weird!! I can't believe they didn't send you anything after you didn't get an interview. I'm glad you had other amazing offers and found the right fit for you, regardless!