Request through email

So, I'm starting to compile my admissions checklist for this upcoming fall (and I'm extremely nervous, at that). I've got my GRE scores, my writing sample (roughly 10 pages), and I'm going to start writing my SOP soon. But, I know I need to start gathering my LORs. I have three potential professors to ask that I am pretty sure they will write for me. however, in this upcoming fall semester, I am student teaching and will not be able to go to campus to see these professors. Unfortunately, I only have email to speak with them through. Is that inappropriate/unprofessional to ask them to write me a letter through email?

I may just be overthinking this -- I honestly have to work up the courage to even ask these professors. One of them is already helping me write my SOP and the other I haven't talked to in roughly a year. 

I requested by e-mail for my last professor I needed (other two bosses in person and via message) and I've kept in contact through Facebook as we are FB friends. Shoot an e-mail, ask how they are, politely ask if they remember you and your work enough to write a strong LOR. Good luck!

Email is an acceptable form of communication these days.  I'm applying for the 2018 cycle, and will not be able to see two of the four professors for LORs.  One is retiring and the other is on sabbatical--teaching in another state for a year.  Both said to email them when I need the LOR. 

I would even say that many professors will even prefer email communication as the initial point of contact. Dropping in is pretty intrusive for busy professors unless they have specifically posted drop in office hours. 

I would say that you should ignore advice often found on the internet that the LOR request must always be in person! You know your profs best, and unless you know that they are not email people, I would say it's fine to initiate the request via email. Typically, you will want to follow up with an in-person meeting though, since it's worth discussing your grad school plans and LOR request more thoroughly than just via an email. For example, providing your letter writer with insight on your career goals, research interests, and what kind of application you will be putting together will help you create a very strong package. I think it is for this reason that an in-person meeting with your LOR writers is advised.

So, I would say that you can and should make the initial request via email but also suggest that you meet in person to discuss your application and letter further. I would normally frame this as a meeting to seek their advice and thoughts on your applications. You can also let them know that you would be providing things like a list of schools and deadlines (and who you are interested in at each school) at this meeting and that you can also answer any questions they might have about your applications. Would also be a good idea to ask them if they want you to send them (or bring to the meeting) any particular documents, essays, etc.

It is difficult to catch professors in their office unless it's during office hours and they usually have a student in their office then, so I feel email is perfectly acceptable. When you email them and get a confirmation back, I would suggest setting up a brief conference, if possible, and send them copies of your WS and SOP (they usually want to see those). In English, and perhaps history also, the WS may be the most important part of the application package and they will definitely want to see that. More than likely they may also have suggestions for edits, etc. All three of my recommenders had suggestions for my WS. Since I did my BA/MA at the same university and I was TA/RA to two of the recommenders during my MA, they all knew me well and what I really want to accomplish. Therefore, the WS and SOP were the public versions of what we had talked about many times during my MA. They will want to know what your GRE scores are and in some schools can look at your transcript directly, but in others, you can download an unofficial transcript and send a copy of that, as well. As you said, you are student teaching and cannot meet on campus; therefore, you might suggest using Skype or WebEx (some of them may have WebEx accounts for their online classes) rather than a phone call, in order to have a more personal meeting.

19 hours ago, ltr317 said:

Email is an acceptable form of communication these days.  I'm applying for the 2018 cycle, and will not be able to see two of the four professors for LORs.  One is retiring and the other is on sabbatical--teaching in another state for a year.  Both said to email them when I need the LOR. 

You mentioned that one of your requests is going on sabbatical... One of my professors I wanted to ask is going to be on sabbatical next semester. Someone said that because he was, I couldn't ask him anymore, but I've gone to his office hours quite a bit and have taken a few classes with him, and he was the head of the history department at my university. Should I still ask him and have a backup just in case or avoid asking him entirely?

3 hours ago, jaaaayciee said:

You mentioned that one of your requests is going on sabbatical... One of my professors I wanted to ask is going to be on sabbatical next semester. Someone said that because he was, I couldn't ask him anymore, but I've gone to his office hours quite a bit and have taken a few classes with him, and he was the head of the history department at my university. Should I still ask him and have a backup just in case or avoid asking him entirely?

That someone is giving you bad advice.  Based on what you stated, the history chairperson should be one of your LORs, since he knows your work fairly well.  I don't know how long since you last had contact with him, so you may need to refresh his memory by offering to email a paper you wrote in one of his classes.  You should always have a backup because you can't predict the future.  I only need three LORs for the PhD programs I'm applying, but I have chosen four just in case something happens making one drop out.  If no one drops out, I will submit all four to programs that will allow more than the required number.  As an added backup, I could pick two more professors for LORs from my MA program.  It's best to have a wealth of riches. 

In my situation, I have had several phone conversations and emails with the professor on sabbatical, and he is eager to help in any way he can.  He was my research seminar advisor and I took two other MA classes with him.  He was the initial impetus in pushing me to apply for the PhD.  In fact, he would be my POI if I was accepted to my top choice program.  It certainly helps to have someone in your corner, so you should seek the LOR from your history chairperson. 

2 hours ago, ltr317 said:

That someone is giving you bad advice.  Based on what you stated, the history chairperson should be one of your LORs, since he knows your work fairly well.  I don't know how long since you last had contact with him, so you may need to refresh his memory by offering to email a paper you wrote in one of his classes.  You should always have a backup because you can't predict the future.

I recently talked to him before this last Spring semester ended. He was on campus quite a bit because he was the chair, and I've actually helped him edit his textbook for his class so he always would make time to see me because I helped him out. It's just so nerve-wracking because I know how busy he is so like I don't want to make it worse you know? But I tend to overthink with stuff like that.

@jaaaayciee: You should just ask him directly. Tell him that although you know he would be on sabbatical, would he be willing to write letters? Then, before he leaves (perhaps when you ask him!), find out when he would be too busy to write and when he would have time to submit letters. Ask him what you could do to help him get the letters out on time. Maybe he would want to submit everything in October, so that might mean you need to have all the applications set up (sometimes you can submit letters before submitting the final application) and at least have polished drafts of all your essays etc. 

10 hours ago, jaaaayciee said:

I recently talked to him before this last Spring semester ended. He was on campus quite a bit because he was the chair, and I've actually helped him edit his textbook for his class so he always would make time to see me because I helped him out. It's just so nerve-wracking because I know how busy he is so like I don't want to make it worse you know? But I tend to overthink with stuff like that.

This is more reason for him to be one of your LOR.  He will reciprocate in-kind if he cares. 

Emailing a professor is appropriate as long as you keep it respectful and professional.  I used Referrio for my reference letters and it was really easy to provide my recommender with information as to where the recommendation was going even though I was not able to visit the recommender in person. 

Edited by rising_star
to remove advertisement