Columbia

I didn't apply, but today I traded e-mails with an old prof of mine who teaches there, and he said that the department wouldn't be making offers until close to March 1. I dunno if that's at all helpful, but I thought I'd share it, for what it's worth. Good luck, everyone.

Edited by kriskraft

I didn't apply, but today I traded e-mails with an old prof of mine who teaches there, and he said that the department wouldn't be making offers until close to March 1. I dunno if that's at all helpful, but I thought I'd share it, for what it's worth. Good luck, everyone.

Hey,

This March 1st date... Is that for MFA (Fiction) programs or programs in Literature? If it's not applicable with MFA's, could you use your connection to gather some intelligence? :unsure:

As far as I know, they're completely separate admissions processes, since the School of the Arts runs the MFA while the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences oversees the programs in English—so my former professor wouldn't know anything that'd be useful to you, I'm afraid. Sorry. (I'd also be loath to ask him for any more details outright; I've only posted things that he's mentioned to me offhand. And by "things," I mean a single piece of information. I'm no great fount of insight. Best of luck, though.)

Hey,

This March 1st date... Is that for MFA (Fiction) programs or programs in Literature? If it's not applicable with MFA's, could you use your connection to gather some intelligence? :unsure:

Edited by kriskraft

Columbia applicants - check your status form. Apparently the majority of applications left the graduate school offices and hit the departments sometime yesterday...looks like we'll hear back in about a week or two.

GOOD LUCK!!! :D

Thanks for the info, Medievalmaniac. Just checked my Columbia applyyourself page, and it looks the same as it always has. Should I be looking somewhere else for my "status form"?

Edit: Looked myself (...followed the instructions...), and I assume you mean Application Status Form under Downloadable Forms? My "At Department" line also now says "YES." I'm going to enjoy that "YES" for as long as it lasts . . . Only one or two more weeks until it changes to "Nice Try"!

Good luck to all the Columbia applicants.

Edited by Caved

I am a little confused…

About two weeks ago, I emailed Columbia’s gsas because I was concerned about my Application Status Form showing no indication that my app had made it to the English Department. Columbia informed me a few days later (Feb. 15) that everything was at the department and under review. But, my app status form didn’t change to reflect this until yesterday. I guess it doesn’t matter. I just want to know when to brace for rejection!

I was also starting to wonder, MM.

Does Columbia usually call people they accept? Or does everyone get an email/check the website, regardless? Anyone know?

I just ran a search in the results thread. Last year acceptances and rejections were sent via email exclusively. Wait lists received a postal notification. All results were spread over the month of March, including one very late acceptance in early April. So it appears we're just getting started. Let the games begin! laugh.gif

~ m

Has everyone received emails directing them to the Columbia site for a decision letter? Are they, by any chance, going out in waves by last name?

I noticed a couple in Results, so I was wondering how this was all working out...

has anyone else received no word (like me)?

No word here either. It's the only school I still haven't heard from, and in my desperate quest for some sort of closure, I've spent the last few hours furiously refreshing my email and the results page. Sort of interfering with this whole studying-for-midterms thing. For what it's worth, I'm smack in the middle of the alphabet.

And I'm very near the end of the alphabet...

I guess we've figured out pretty much nothing. haha

I'm just going to pretend that we've all been secretly waitlisted and will be admitted any day now.

Yup. That's what I'm telling myself.

And I'm very near the end of the alphabet...

I guess we've figured out pretty much nothing. haha

I'm just going to pretend that we've all been secretly waitlisted and will be admitted any day now.

Yup. That's what I'm telling myself.

Me too. I haven't heard anything so perhaps I'm a waitlist. Perhaps. Let's just say yes until I hear something different.

Is anyone else still waiting on Columbia? They seem to be sitting on a number of (likely) rejections--I can't make sense of it. I half expect a repeat of last week's Friday rejections tomorrow...=(

I am still waiting on Columbia, NYU, CU Boulder and University of Denver. But so many have heard NYU and Columbia. It's hard to know what to think, but for me, I am thinking not so good...

I'm currently an MA in English and Comparative Literature at Columbia, and they made all their admissions decisions about a week and a half ago. If you haven't heard anything yet, I'm sorry, but it's not good news.

I'm currently an MA in English and Comparative Literature at Columbia, and they made all their admissions decisions about a week and a half ago. If you haven't heard anything yet, I'm sorry, but it's not good news.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I have essentially crossed off Columbia and NYU. But lots of people got an email from Columbia - it seems clear they are through the process, and yet I have heard nothing. Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Columbia?