Graduate Institute Fall 2018

12 minutes ago, Ultra_Violet said:

Actually first on my list.

Unfortunately, I have been rejected. 

Hey! Sorry to hear that. 

Do you mind sharing why it was your top priority, though? It'll be great to get some perspective.

Just received my admission letter and a denial for financial aid. I didn't expect to be admitted so I hadn't researched the Visa requirements as closely as I did my preferred school, Sciences Po (France). 

It is looking like I won't be able to bring my family to Geneva. Unlike most of you, I have a husband and an 18-year-old daughter who will be graduating high school in May and will be living with me for a year before she starts college in 2019.

I'm also trying to find out if Switzerland allows you to stay for a year after graduation to look for a job. France does but Italy (Johns Hopkins, SAIS) does not.

Edited by T. Sparks

22 minutes ago, VeryCheesey said:

Hey! Sorry to hear that. 

Do you mind sharing why it was your top priority, though? It'll be great to get some perspective.

Short answer: The Development Economics programme. The courses are exactly what I need and I have searched high and low and haven't found a perfect substitute. I did apply elsewhere of course but I feel like I should maybe think of doing something else. 

The faculty too. Professors Arcand, Panizza, Carbonnier, and Baldwin whose books and papers I have studied.

9 minutes ago, T. Sparks said:

I'm also trying to find out if Switzerland allows you to stay for a year after graduation to look for a job.

Hey! I am very interested in this information too. Can we agree to share anything we find here? Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Ultra_Violet said:

Short answer: The Development Economics programme. The courses are exactly what I need and I have searched high and low and haven't found a perfect substitute. I did apply elsewhere of course but I feel like I should maybe think of doing something else. 

The faculty too. Professors Arcand, Panizza, Carbonnier, and Baldwin whose books and papers I have studied.

Yes, the curriculum is amazing. However, I did find it to be a little more theoretical than elsewhere, and I dunno how that falls in the grand scheme of things. I applied for the MDEV. I was very excited to see the courses and structuring of the program, but a current student from my country does not seem very please with it now that she's there.

I'll probably talk to her again and update this thread.

1 hour ago, VeryCheesey said:

Hey! I am very interested in this information too. Can we agree to share anything we find here? Thanks!

Per Expatica -- you can get a "look for a job visa" for six months after graduation. However, there is no guarantee of being able to bring your spouse at the graduate level of study. It will be up to the director of the Canton to which you are applying.

image.png.f8f47eb9b65196eeea7e76aad1fbddc5.pngimage.png.c05a9f69ed262261d56b637f347913a4.png

Hello all, 

I got accepted to MDEV with full scholarship and living expenses. 

I have also been accepted to Sciences Po for MPP with the Emile Boutmy Scholarship. 

Which one would you guys have preferred? 

(I am looking for a Quantitative backed course with a decent job prospect) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I know I said that I will probably not attend this program, but now it looks like the best option I have wrt the cost-benefit analysis I have been doing for the last week.

Any of you have anything negative to say about the program? I can't find much on the cons list, except that the COL in Geneva is through the roof, and might upset my finances.

On 09/03/2018 at 2:12 AM, ishi said:

Hii guys! Im curious to know if anyone has messaged the institute to find details about when to expect admission results. It should be out anytime now, right?

You need to understand that each applicant is competing for a limited number of seats, in that sense each SOP is a unique recipe for success. In my opinion, no one will be comfortable sharing their SOP.  Instead, you could ask for tips and advice on writing a good statement, but not the SOP itself.