MSW 2018 Applicants

jarrodthomas

Hey, everyone!

After reading many successful past forum threads for MSW applicants, I decided to start one myself for everybody! From what I saw, so many people took comfort in talking to one another about their stats, stress/anxieties, questions, schools, etc. that I believe it would be beyond beneficial for us. Good luck everyone and I look forward to chatting with you!

hey everyone, 

I will be applying for the MSW Fall 2018, I'm not sure the schools I will be applying will accept me. I'm in my late 20's and I have a B.S. degree in  Health Science. My GPA was 3.0. I went back to school and is graduating with B.S. in social work. My GPA is currently is a 3.7.  I'm just wondering if is it too late to volunteer or do more to improve my chances?

1 hour ago, sj123 said:

hey everyone, 

I will be applying for the MSW Fall 2018, I'm not sure the schools I will be applying will accept me. I'm in my late 20's and I have a B.S. degree in  Health Science. My GPA was 3.0. I went back to school and is graduating with B.S. in social work. My GPA is currently is a 3.7.  I'm just wondering if is it too late to volunteer or do more to improve my chances?

I just want to say first and foremost, congratulations on getting your B.S. in social work w/ a 3.7 GPA! It is never too late to volunteer! Get a relevant internship if possible. What do you want to do with your MSW? Depending on the track that you are looking to go down, call places in that area and ask if they accept any unpaid interns/volunteers, etc. I have no volunteer experience since high school, but I have been doing a public healthcare administration & medical social work internship and have learned a lot. Never underestimate the power of an internship. I asked a similar question to yours the other day and was reassured that I have a good chance of getting in. With your B.S. you can always use any field work that you may have done, classes, hands on experience, etc. Utilize what you have! Message me if you need anything or have questions!

I am applying to schools in New York City for an MSW in clinical social work. While my undergraduate degree is in business administration/marketing, I received the degree to get experience in opening up my own business so that I can one day successfully run my own practice/clinic. I have a 3.72 from the undergrad school that I am graduating from with a program GPA of about a 3.8. I am applying to New York University and Hunter College. However, I have a few back ups in different locations such as Boston University, University of Southern California, University of Houston, and Temple University. I will most likely be applying to more as I do more research. I don't have much volunteer experience but I have a lot of international experience traveling throughout Southeast Asian countries and Mexico for a few months. I also have an internship with the state that I live in with their Department of Human Services, Veterans Affairs branch for a healthcare administration and medical social work internship. 

11 hours ago, jarrodthomas said:

I just want to say first and foremost, congratulations on getting your B.S. in social work w/ a 3.7 GPA! It is never too late to volunteer! Get a relevant internship if possible. What do you want to do with your MSW? Depending on the track that you are looking to go down, call places in that area and ask if they accept any unpaid interns/volunteers, etc. I have no volunteer experience since high school, but I have been doing a public healthcare administration & medical social work internship and have learned a lot. Never underestimate the power of an internship. I asked a similar question to yours the other day and was reassured that I have a good chance of getting in. With your B.S. you can always use any field work that you may have done, classes, hands on experience, etc. Utilize what you have! Message me if you need anything or have questions!

Thanks a lot jarrodthomas. I truly appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

What are ideal GRE scores for MSW applicants? I'm planning on applying to UNC- Chapel Hill, UGA, UT-Austin, UMichigan, UI-Chicago, and FSU as of now. If anyone has insight to what scores admissions are looking for I would really appreciate it! Also, if anyone has any other school suggestions that offer Dual Degree Programs with an MSW and an MPH or MPA please let me know as well! 

Edited by tgruber9

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone! 

I see this thread hasn't seen much activity in a while but I am also applying for MSW programs for Fall 2018. I am applying to NYC area schools with the hopes of relocating there from Arizona. Columbia is my top choice followed by NYU. 

I graduated with my BSW in 2016 with a 3.75 GPA. I've had two and a half years experience with case management at a non-profit servicing individuals suffering from homelessness, serious mental illness, and substance abuse. My time in that job helped get me on various other planning committees and projects around town. I also have some various volunteer experiencing through my undergrad studies. I currently work at an inpatient psychiatric unit as a behavioral health tech and have been doing this for about ten months. 

Still working through my application materials but I am eager to get it all submitted and see what the future holds! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I'm also currently finishing my undergrad. I just completed my MSW applications a few days ago for CUNY Hunter, Columbia, NYU, and SUNY Stony Brook (i'm trying to move to the NY city area as you can tell). One of my major concerns though is the decision I might have to make if I get into both Hunter and Columbia. I've seen other discussions on here about the two and they both seem like great programs. I'm also concerned that I won't hear back from Hunter until late winter because that's when it seems like they start their admissions process. I'm nervous that if I get into lets say Columbia, that they will give me a couple weeks to decide and I won't have an answer back from Hunter. 

4 minutes ago, KristaG said:

Hello everyone! I'm also currently finishing my undergrad. I just completed my MSW applications a few days ago for CUNY Hunter, Columbia, NYU, and SUNY Stony Brook (i'm trying to move to the NY city area as you can tell). One of my major concerns though is the decision I might have to make if I get into both Hunter and Columbia. I've seen other discussions on here about the two and they both seem like great programs. I'm also concerned that I won't hear back from Hunter until late winter because that's when it seems like they start their admissions process. I'm nervous that if I get into lets say Columbia, that they will give me a couple weeks to decide and I won't have an answer back from Hunter. 

They usually allow you to extend the decision! Especially if you tell them you have not heard back from other schools yet. That is what I will have to do with NYU since that is my first acceptance.

3 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

They usually allow you to extend the decision! Especially if you tell them you have not heard back from other schools yet. That is what I will have to do with NYU since that is my first acceptance.

Oh okay well that's good to know! And yeah wow NYU got back to you like crazy fast, hopefully I have the same luck with them!

Hi everyone! I am applying to schools in Michigan. So far I've sent in my application to UMich and I will be sending one to MSU and maybe WSU in a couple of weeks. I am super excited. I currently have a 3.63 overall GPA, 3.8 last 60 credits, and a 4.0 for my major GPA. On my resume I have 1 year of research experience in the concentration I chose for my MSW, I am on the director's advisory board and E-board for my BSW program, I have a lot of volunteer experience relating to youth and the elderly, and I have a professional development certificate. I stay really active and busy so I hope to have a good shot at my top choice (Umich).  

10 hours ago, KristaG said:

Hey! I'm also trying to move to the NYC area. Congrats on getting your applications in. I'm applying to Columbia and NYU for starters as they are my top two. If that doesn't work out I will apply to Fordham and CUNY in the spring. Be sure to post updates on your acceptances! 

14 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

Hey! I'm also trying to move to the NYC area. Congrats on getting your applications in. I'm applying to Columbia and NYU for starters as they are my top two. If that doesn't work out I will apply to Fordham and CUNY in the spring. Be sure to post updates on your acceptances! 

That's great! But yeah I feel like a crazy person getting anxious anytime I get an email though. It's going to be a long few weeks lol

Hello!

I am working to finish my grad school applications. I am reapplying to CSUS but for the weekend cohort program this time and I am applying to CSU Stanislaus for the hybrid program. I am currently working at a drug treatment facility so I do believe that will improve my chances when compared to last year.

I was accepted into UNLV last year and asked to defer the decision until 2018 so I already have a school I can go to but I would prefer to stay at my current job which I can't do then. :)

On 11/14/2017 at 3:32 PM, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Just got into my top choice at Pitt! Super excited. 

Congrats on getting into your #1! 

I just submitted my NYU application. Did you ever log back in after you submitted to check for updates? I'm curious as to what that looks like. 

7 hours ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Thank you!  And yes, I logged in and saw it at the top of the application that there was a status update and it gives you a link to click. I received the email telling me there was a status update a few minutes after I check the portal (great timing lol). 

Right on. Mine is acting all weird. I'm an Advanced Standing applicant but I did my field placement in a spring block. For whatever reason, I would only let me upload two recommendations inside the portal. So I had to exclude one to submit it. I called admissions to see how to get the third one submitted and they said to just have them email in their letter directly. Now I'm getting emails saying stuff is missing on my application and to check out that status page to see what I need to do, but it doesn't say anything is missing! 

My recommender should hopefully submit her letter tomorrow. I just hope all this confusion doesn't hold up my application. 

1 hour ago, JonoDuncan said:

Right on. Mine is acting all weird. I'm an Advanced Standing applicant but I did my field placement in a spring block. For whatever reason, I would only let me upload two recommendations inside the portal. So I had to exclude one to submit it. I called admissions to see how to get the third one submitted and they said to just have them email in their letter directly. Now I'm getting emails saying stuff is missing on my application and to check out that status page to see what I need to do, but it doesn't say anything is missing! 

My recommender should hopefully submit her letter tomorrow. I just hope all this confusion doesn't hold up my application. 

I kept getting emails about my letters needing to be done, that's why you are probably getting emails. Once you application is complete(with letters) you will receive an email I believe stating all your materials are submitted and you'll get a decision in 4-6 weeks (probably quicker than that).

30 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

I kept getting emails about my letters needing to be done, that's why you are probably getting emails. Once you application is complete(with letters) you will receive an email I believe stating all your materials are submitted and you'll get a decision in 4-6 weeks (probably quicker than that).

Good to know. I'll have to check in with the office after the holiday. Hopefully that letter goes in alright.