MSW 2018 Applicants

jarrodthomas

On 19/2/2018 at 4:19 AM, Tricia Pearson said:

I applied a few days before Christmas and heard back January 26th. I am going part time. I haven’t heard anything about my financial aid yet. I asked and they said that I would receive my package mid March which kind of sucks because then what if I was leaning towards a different school. Either way I accepted NYU and moving back to the city in the next few months and super excited. My next. Steps are trying to find a job similar to what I do up here in the mental health field. Good luck!! Hope to see you in the fall! 

Super late reply. But I got into NYU! I’m about ready to send in my deposit but I’m waiting to hear from Columbia. Regardless, I hope we can connect. I’m struggling with this job search and I’m looking to move in June!

17 hours ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

Anyone moving to the NY area looking for a roommate? I was thinking about Washington Heights, North Harlem area maybe. 

IM MOVING TO NEW YORK!! I suggested that NY MSW candidates make a thread or FB group for this very reason lol I won’t be moving until (preferably) June, what about you?

4 minutes ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

IM MOVING TO NEW YORK!! I suggested that NY MSW candidates make a thread or FB group for this very reason lol I won’t be moving until (preferably) June, what about you?

There's the New MSW NYU page already. I honestly would not have the money to move until August. I plan to work hard all summer.

19 minutes ago, TooExcited&Nervous said:

There's the New MSW NYU page already. I honestly would not have the money to move until August. I plan to work hard all summer.

Ahhh! Okay. I’ll join when I put in my deposit. 

I don’t have the money to move sooner either but I’m looking at jobs to see if it’s a possibility. I’m in CA so I want to spend a little time in NY before I start my classes!

I’m moving to New York also! Whether I go to NYU or Columbia, who. Plus know! But I’m definitely headed out there and I can’t wait! I’ll join also when I throw down my deposit. 

6 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

I’m moving to New York also! Whether I go to NYU or Columbia, who. Plus know! But I’m definitely headed out there and I can’t wait! I’ll join also when I throw down my deposit. 

How’s your prep for moving going?! This is difficult already lol

2 hours ago, Kat_MSW2018 said:

How’s your prep for moving going?! This is difficult already lol

It's not bad! I feel like it's a little too early to do much other than research housing and get my money in order. Thankfully I have some friends out there already who are really supportive and helpful so I'm not too stressed quite yet! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2018 at 11:10 PM, Kat_MSW2018 said:

Super late reply. But I got into NYU! I’m about ready to send in my deposit but I’m waiting to hear from Columbia. Regardless, I hope we can connect. I’m struggling with this job search and I’m looking to move in June!

Also struggling with this job search. I used to work for Apple so I’ll probably have to go back to that temporarily but I feel like most places don’t want to even look at my application when I say I can’t start until June. So I am thinking of waiting until April to keep applying. I’m originally from Long Island and my family is still there so I think I may move home for a few months to continue job search and then looking for apartments. I’m trying to get into the Facebook group to see if I can find a roommate or two but it’s kind of hard because I think my boyfriend might also be moving to NYC with me but it’s up in the air right now. So hard to just pick up and move everything to such a big city. Good luck with your choice and move! And regardless of where you decide we can definitely connect. It would be nice to know a few people going through a similar difficult transition. 

5 minutes ago, Tricia Pearson said:

Also struggling with this job search. I used to work for Apple so I’ll probably have to go back to that temporarily but I feel like most places don’t want to even look at my application when I say I can’t start until June. So I am thinking of waiting until April to keep applying. I’m originally from Long Island and my family is still there so I think I may move home for a few months to continue job search and then looking for apartments. I’m trying to get into the Facebook group to see if I can find a roommate or two but it’s kind of hard because I think my boyfriend might also be moving to NYC with me but it’s up in the air right now. So hard to just pick up and move everything to such a big city. Good luck with your choice and move! And regardless of where you decide we can definitely connect. It would be nice to know a few people going through a similar difficult transition. 

Check out http://readingprograms.org/ to see if they do it in your area. It's basically a summer job, I plan to do this!

20 hours ago, Tricia Pearson said:

I am glad to hear that someone is in the same boat as me lol. I have an interview next week for a job at Columbia actually! ? so I may be moving at the end of July. I’d like to move sooner though. But Apple, wow!! There should be pretty good summer jobs in that field right? But moving home sounds good. That’s really helpful too. I’m sure if you continued to look in April you’d find something tho!! This is a prime time for job postings, especially for summer jobs. Thank you so much for the reply! Good luck to you as well. :) yes we should connect!! I’m moving there with a couple friends in the area but for the most part I’m leaving 95% of my life in CA. You are attending NYU?

6 minutes ago, amelsanti said:

Hey guys. Someone knows what is a good GRE score for NYU school of social work. I had a low gpa. I need some advice.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your gpa? Do you have experience at all or volunteer? They look at the entire applicant, not just GPA. 

my gpa was around 2.7. I had a lot of expirience. i was editor of a bulletin writing about poor communities in Cuba. i made a project for WOLA talking about my country issues. I also have really good recommendation letter. In my country is hard to get in the university but the gpa is not that important. So i took the GRE. But i do not know if the msw look more for the verbal section or the quantitive section. Any idea of what is a good gre score to compensate a low gpa. I also had experience with emigrants like myself. any advice should be great.   

Edited by amelsanti